Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I think the bigger issue than what teachers want to do is that it would probably increase the costs of running the school by 25-33% a year. That means 25-33% higher school district taxes. This is why I don't see them going to a year round with 2 weeks off.
There are many people in the US who have never met a tax they didn't like- especially if it's "for the children". I think the biggest block to year around school isn't the increased cost, it's more the teachers are used to the academic calendar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You sure do assume a lot. Where did I say 'conspiracy' or that teachers want to work year around? My point is that the government is very good at encroaching on people's private lives. Both the federal income tax and the social security tax began very, very modestly and have evolved into the behemoths we have now. It's in the nature of government to tax more, employ more people, and so on.

I have these discussions with my friends and relatives from the Northeast. I notice you're from Virginia- you are planning to move to Austin, I assume?
Yes, I am planning a move from the DC area to Austin.

I said conspiracy because that is what your paranoia about year-round schooling sounds like to me. Having worked in ed policy, I can assure you that is NOT the intent of anyone who advocates it. You probably will not believe me, and that is your prerogative.

I could get into a dicussion with you about the ed community's theories on the voucher movement and the true intent behind it, but you'd likely think I was paranoid.

Last edited by hilsmom; 01-10-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Yes, I am planning a move from the DC area to Austin.

I said conspiracy because that is what your paranoia about year-round schooling sounds like to me. Having worked in ed policy, I can assure you that is NOT the intent of anyone who advocates it. You probably will not believe me, and that is your prerogative.

I could get into a dicussion with you about the ed community's theories on the voucher movement and the true intent behind it, but you'd likely think I was a paranoid.
I don't accuse people of being paranoid, and I don't like being accused of being so. Government has a habit of getting bigger and bigger- I'm simply predicting based on past occurences. I currently work in education, and I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I believe that the road to hell really is paved in good intentions, and there are many with very good intentions who advocate for year around schools. The end result, despite intentions, is the same- way too much government control in our childrens' lives.

Welcome to Texas. It's a fact that Texas is not, for the most part, a pro-Federal government state. Coming from NOVA (I believe?), the land that big government built, you'll have to get used to that. Austin is slightly more liberal than the rest of Texas, but not liberal by DC standards.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Fine, yes - will have to agree to disagree. I will never agree with you on most of your views on education or government, and we could argue until we're blue in the face and never change each other's minds.

I am well aware of where my husband and I have decided to move. But, as you can tell, I'm not one to back down in my beliefs.

And may I just ask - So what if Northern VA is a large area of government employees/contractors? Just as I believe most in education care about the children and communities they serve, I will tell you most of the people I know who have worked in government (including myself) do it because they want to be involved in public service and pick government work because they care about this country. My husband is a defense/security contractor who served several years in the military and wanted to continue to do work to help keep our country safe even after finishing his tour of duty. We need people in this country who believe in the power of government service and aren't constantly railing against it.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Fine, yes - will have to agree to disagree. I will never agree with you on most of your views on education or government, and we could argue until we're blue in the face and never change each other's minds.

I am well aware of where my husband and I have decided to move. But, as you can tell, I'm not one to back down in my beliefs.

And may I just ask - So what if Northern VA is a large area of government employees/contractors? Just as I believe most in education care about the children and communities they serve, I will tell you most of the people I know who have worked in government (including myself) do it because they want to be involved in public service and pick government work because they care about this country. My husband is a defense/security contractor who served several years in the military and wanted to continue to do work to help keep our country safe even after finishing his tour of duty. We need people in this country who believe in the power of government service and aren't constantly railing against it.
Again, welcome to Austin. You'll find that unlike other parts of the world that live off of PC, we respect the right of everyone to have an opinion and share it.

As for government workers, I don't question their personal integrity. However, in my opinion, 75% of the federal government jobs could well be eliminated and taxes lowered. I thank your husband for his military service. Personally, I don't believe in the power of non defense government service. I believe in a strong federal system and increased power at the state level. Texas is a wonderful place to live for that very reason- our children study Texas history and the concept of Texas as a powerful state is well recongized.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:

My husband was a Naval Officer and he then went and contracted for and was subsequently hired by the DOD. What he saw inside was a tremendous amount of waste, inefficiency, fiefdom building, and time theft. Not everyone was like that, but it was enough to be a completely demoralizing experience. He believed in the power of government service (as did I when I was younger) but we were both horribly let down by the reality of it.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
My husband was a Naval Officer and he then went and contracted for and was subsequently hired by the DOD. What he saw inside was a tremendous amount of waste, inefficiency, fiefdom building, and time theft. Not everyone was like that, but it was enough to be a completely demoralizing experience. He believed in the power of government service (as did I when I was younger) but we were both horribly let down by the reality of it.
I didn't say it was perfect. There are reasons my husband is still a contractor rather than a direct government employee. There are also reasons he got out of the military when he did (and we were super lucky, since he got out right before they instituted Stop Loss).

There are good and bad apples everywhere. I realize there is waste and fraud and inefficiency. I agree that some positions are unnecessary and that some people are power hungry and need to be reined in. Fixes definitely can be made. It just irks me that people paint everyone in government with that broad brush, as this is far from the truth.

Kind of the same way people say the word "Lobbyist" like it is a curse word when MOST are not high powered lawyers working for corporate clients but work for very small non-profits, advocating for causes they believe in for very little money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin