Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:17 AM

14 posts, read 120,104 times

Advertisements

I read through some relocation threads on here and still have some questions

I'm 26, and have lived in North Jersey all my life and have worked in NYC since I graduated college in 2007. I want a change and have had Austin on my mind since High School. I originally wanted to go to Texas, but my high school was small and didn't think going from a high school with 700 kids to a school with 25,000+ wasn't a good idea.

Anyway, everywhere I've read says the job market is good. But i've read a few things on here about it being not so good. Ideally, I'd like to move there with a job, but if I don't get one ahead of time, I might just go without one. I have good savings, and could take menial work while searching, but obviously would prefer to have a job. I have a pretty good resume, with a wide variety of jobs that are cool and tend to pique peoples interest.

I've done some looking into places (just to get a feel for prices). Mostly 2 bed apartments in complexes. I see stuff like this:

Rentals at 7700 North Capital Of Texas Hwy, Austin, TX, 78731 - Canyon Springs Apartments - Move.com

Is that legit? Two bedroom, 1,100 square feet for $1,100 a month with all those amenities? Being from North Jersey and seeing prices around here and in NYC, that apartment would be probably double or triple the price, so I'm skeptical.

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to move there with a job, but if I don't get one ahead of time, I might just go without one.
I think most of the conservative (i.e. prudent minded - not political) users on City-Data will advise against coming without a job unless you have 1 year of living expenses in the bank, and are ready and willing to use it up whilst toiling for a year looking for a job.

Job search stories are diverse and varying. Some come to Austin and find something quickly. Others don't. Depends on you, your skills, etc. But, as with anything in life, it's the worst case scenario for which you want to be emotionally and financially prepared, not the best.

Also, without proof of funds, you can't rent an apartment without a job.

That said, I've always been a risk taker and I admire people who take risks. I've embarked on many imprudent adventures over the years, and those are the ones, whether they worked out or not, that made me feel most alive and about which I recall with the fondest memories. But I always had a Plan B or a willingness to lose it all. Not everyone is like that. You should decide, at this stage of your life, where you fall on the spectrum, then proceed accordingly.

Steve

Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!

I do have savings I can tap into if it doesn't work out, but I am hopefully about a job.

Is around $1100 the typical going rate for a 2 bedroom apartment in a complex?

Thanks again!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:14 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
You can find decent apartments cheaper then that. You can rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage house for $1,200 in a good neighborhood.

Median gross rent in 2009: $883.

//pics2.city-data.com/rent2008/rc24322.png (broken link)

//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...tin-Texas.html

Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
A lot of people come to Austin and expect a job to fall into their lap. It usually doesn't happen. A large portion of the workforce in Austin is state government, which is about to be slammed in this current legislative session. Many people, from very highly educated down to minimally educated, will probably lose their jobs. Austin is a very highly educated city in general, and so you'll be competing with all sorts of people looking for jobs.

So yes, just as austin-steve recommended, have a job lined up before you move or have a significant amount of savings. Otherwise, you're likely to be very disappointed and very poor.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the information.

I would prefer to rent an apartment, as it's just a little easier.

Are there any good, Austin specific job sites? I use Indeed and company websites, but i'd like to keep all my options open.

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 4,398 times
Having just relocated here 2 months ago, having lived in NYC for 15 years, Austin ain't NJ or NYC, and will probably find myself back in the city next month. My suggestion is this, just find a share on Craigslist, and just do it, and get it out of your system. Don't burden yourself with a lease if Austin isn't for you. The problem with hoping to land a job prior to arriving, by not being here to interview you may lose out on missed opportunities. I can tell you from my experience to date, I've landed several face-face interviews with Dell, Apple, Marriott, Wyndham, etc... so the job market maybe better here, but I don't want to be working in a call center making $15-$17 an hour. So these are great opportunities for younger people (yes, I'm a bit older) just getting out of school, or like yourself. If your looking on getting a restaurant job, make sure you have recent experience, and get your TABC and Foodhandler Certificates before you get here as well. Lastly, being from NJ, I'm sure you have a car, cause you definitely need one here, no matter what anyone tells you. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
I moved here without a job on advice from my father who lives here. I lucked out and found a job quickly but I would never make that mistake again. It was a VERY risky move. I am pretty confident if I didn't get this job I would not have been able to get anything better than retail in the 1.25 years I have been here. I no longer take advice from my father.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Also, without proof of funds, you can't rent an apartment without a job.
My experience has been different with a large apartment complex in the Arboretum area (Gables). I was able to rent an apartment with my good/excellent credit score without having a job. They just had me put "looking for work" in the employment section of their application. They acted like it wasn't a big deal at all. This was in 2006, so I'm not sure if policies might have changed for apartment complexes since then.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 10,361 times
I am wanting to move away from campus and downtown. As I have grown older, I am finding that I want to get away from all of the congestion and be some place a little quieter. If you had to choose between North or South, what would it be? I am thinking North, but still want to hear some opinions.

Also, an Austin Moving Company recommendation would be much appreciated!

Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin