Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Not really. Sad to say, but it was the one's who didn't put anything down, that went into default (foreclosure , bankrupt).

On our next home purchase, it will be 20%-30% down! Dependent on one income, of course we have two incomes but you never know in this crazy economy!
Who really wants to loose there home over one-income loss? really??

The one's who don't / willing to put money down do not deserve a house. Take a stroll down down DR. Horton homes out in Hutto or go to Leander, where people can get 0% down and look how $hitty the neighborhood look. Take a look at these peoples yards and all the cars in the drive way. NO WAY and HOA still has no control over that. These people are most likely used to be non-responsible renters that hopped into a market that allowed 0% down and even though these people got a good deal by walking into something with no-money down. It really is a headache soon to happen again.

IMHO - bank lenders really should not approve the amount of a home / house on GROSS annual income, but more on liquid income / NET-INCOME (after taxes, deduction of 401k, child support, alimony, 401k loans and other deductions on per-pay-check).

There's just too many people with deductions out of their paychecks and gross income is just a bad sign of writing a bad-loan.

Cheers
Honestly 30% down is kind of silly. Either put down 20% or pay for the house in full. Makes no sense to put down another 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Honestly 30% down is kind of silly. Either put down 20% or pay for the house in full. Makes no sense to put down another 10%.
It makes sense to put down as much as possible. The only way it wouldn't is if you can guarantee you can make more investing the money than you are losing by paying interest on it.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
It makes sense to put down as much as possible. The only way it wouldn't is if you can guarantee you can make more investing the money than you are losing by paying interest on it.

You have it figured out. Can't rep you enough.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM

589 posts, read 1,812,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I look at mortgage interest as the cost of shelter. It is my experience, that shelter always comes with a cost. I also leverage the mortgage interest deduction too, which reduces my over all tax liability. The money that goes towards principal really just goes back in my pocket in the form of equity.

Investment returns is a factor but the above must also be considered.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:06 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
I look at mortgage interest as the cost of shelter. It is my experience, that shelter always comes with a cost. I also leverage the mortgage interest deduction too, which reduces my over all tax liability. The money that goes towards principal really just goes back in my pocket in the form of equity.

Investment returns is a factor but the above must also be considered.
I haven't filed taxes since buying my house so I am not sure if I have this correct but doesn't mortgage interest just get deducted on the standard schedule A? If this is true then the benefit there may be less advantageous than many people argue or not advantageous at all. Since the standard deduction is $5,700 you will have to itemize more than that to see any benefit. When I do my 2011 taxes with my first full year of ownership between property taxes and MI my itemized deductions won't be much more than that. For someone who is nearing the end of their mortgage and the MI is very low they may not even crack $5,700 if they don't have many other deductions.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM

172 posts, read 515,955 times
You are right, most people get little/no benefit from the mortgage deduction because they get more from the standard deduction. The mortgage deduction mostly goes to those with high incomes and expensive homes. A family making 60K, living in a 200K house likely gets no benefit unless they have a lot of deductions for other reasons.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM

319 posts, read 736,911 times
We just went through all this. Our credit scores are 780-800 (basically, near perfect). We still had to put minimum 20% down. We're doing it, but not happy about it. Has nothing to do with not having the money or affording the home, we are buying far less than we could. But the idea of sinking a bunch of cash into a house right now just doesnt sit right. For those saying its like a mutual fund/investment, not exactly...at least not lately. We feel a bit as we are being punished for those that irresponsibly lent money or borrowed it. The other thing that this caused us to do is buy less house than we could have really afforded. What is the impact that if multiplied across the country? Its great if it prevents those who cannot afford homes at certain prices from buying them. But it also may deter families like us from buying more home. Sure, we will have more cash laying around each month, but we will probably put that in savings -- not back into the economy or housing market like we would have if we had a 10% down type option.

Cant complain about rates though. 4.75 on 30 yr fixed jumbo... very happy about that

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM

648 posts, read 1,963,918 times
Curious- That is a good rate on a jumbo.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
25-30% used to be what you had to put down on a house anyway. In my opinion this is the way it aught to be and if I had my way, that rate would be closer to 30%. One of the main reasons the housing market went through such a huge bubble over the last few years was because people were not putting any skin into the game: There were no down payments. All that did was cause prices to inflate out of control. With a significant down payment requirement up front this will help keep the lid on prices a bit more.

Personally we're probably going to buy our first house for cash. I see little benefit to paying years and years of interest payments.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
We have been looking at buying a second home for a few months, and were told back in November by several national lenders that you could not get a loan on a second home with less than 25% down.
Never happened. 20% has been the standard all along. Sometimes you can get a better deal with 25% (i.e. investment property or condo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin