Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times

Advertisements

If it's a small dog, on the west side of town you have to worry about coyotes. They can be very brazen, and will even be out right in the middle of the day (with people around!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I don't understand the point of outside dogs. Do you just look at them through the door? I've also noticed that they bark more because of boredom, loneliness and general lack of engagement by their owner. I also don't understand how one can expose them to 100+ temps (or 90+ especially for very furry dogs) with just a bowl of water (or ice or anything other than a nozzle hooked up to a cold water spout) for 8-10 hours or so. This is insane. Shade just doesn't cut it at those temps. Mine have a dog door and come in when uncomfortable. I think they'd rather be outside when the elements allow it so they have this option.
Growing up we always had outside dogs and I spend a fair amount of time outside so the dog would get lots of attention. I plan to take the dog for long walks everyday regardless of weather. I also work from home so the dog will get attention on any breaks I have.

The only thing is that when my relatives visit, almost all of them have allergies, and the dog will have to be outside the whole time they are here, regardless of temps outside.

I have a detached garage so I was thinking of installing a doggy door on the garage so when it's cold she/he could go in there, but then somebody said that would not be a good idea since there's gasoline and other toxic chemicals in there that the dog might get into.

We loved our dogs growing up but they were outside. Our cats were too. Did that mean we loved them less? No, it's just how things were.

We did have a porch growing up with windows that we could open/close and we would put the cat and the dog in there and turn a space heater on when the temp was below 30. When it was hot, our dog liked to go under our house, which was cool because of A/C leaks from our 100 year old house, but houses aren't elevated here like in Louisiana. Our cat was never bothered by the heat, as cats aren't. She would usually sunbathe up to about 90 degrees and then she would relax in the monkey grass if the temp was higher.

They both lived long lives, 15 years (cat) and 12 years (dog) so I can't say the elements did anything negative for them. They also received good medical care so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Many rescues will not adopt dogs out to people who plan to keep them outside full-time (in a typical city or suburban home, working dogs on ranches are different). They can go outside but must have an indoor place to sleep. Yard dogs tend to be poorly socialized, most are not housebroken or well-trained. They bark too much and are lonely. It is not a good life for a dog and if you ever have to re-home a yard dog, it can be hard. Dogs want to be part of a family.

I'd get allergy shots or drops to lessen or eliminate the allergy and have an inside dog!

Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
I do commend you for planning to walk the dog everyday. It makes a tremendous impact to their lives and their behavior. There is a dog in our neighborhood that barks incessantly when outside and especially when people approach the yard (in a scary bark) and I haven't ever seen that dog out of the yard or on a walk. It sometimes bites but you have to walk your dog every single day (or take them to the dog park). Having a dog is a big responsibility!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I'd get allergy shots or drops to lessen or eliminate the allergy and have an inside dog!
Not gonna happen. I hate shots (not sure if I could even give myself one daily) and I can't imagine the extra health costs for this (extra allergy doctor visits, costs of medication).

Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Poorer people and those who live in higher crime areas tend to have dogs not as pets but as protection. This isn't just in the U.S. but even places like Jamaica dogs are looked at as guards who patrol the property not as something that sits in your lap while you watch TV.

You can keep dogs outside in Austin but I think there are a few requirements like access to water and shelter. Also in Austin itself you are not allowed to chain a dog up even if you meet the other requirements.

It's still a good idea to keep the dogs in on the coldest and hottest days of the year. I mean can you imagine wearing a fur coat outdoors when it is 101 degrees and 50% humidity?

Also there are dogs that have less dander and less prone to give people attacks. Failing that some people put their dogs in the garage or laundry room when they are not outside.
Oddly enough, that is the reason why my mom wanted a dog. We lived in a decent part of town growing up, but it was not too far from a less desireable neighborhood and sometimes undesireables would wander into our neighborhood. Our dog was loud and a strong deterrent.

My mom's favorite line was "as long as we don't get broken into and as long as I don't see any rats then I know the dog and cat have earned their keep." To my mom, dogs=burglar protection and cats=mice protection.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Are you at least treating your dog with Heartguard Plus or another Heartworm Preventative and taking them to the vet to get blood tests every six months? I have no problem with people having outdoor dogs in normal conditions, but providing shelter during hot periods and cold periods - like inside a heated garage for example. But, with heartworm being such a huge thing even in Austin (I work with rescues in the area), my concern would be the safety of your dog in heartworm country. Even with preventatives, none are 100% effective all the time so when I live in such areas, I am sure to watch the amount of time my dogs spend outside. The treatment is so painful and expensive and in so many dogs unsuccessful.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
If it's a small dog, on the west side of town you have to worry about coyotes. They can be very brazen, and will even be out right in the middle of the day (with people around!).
This is the one worry that I have as I live out where coyotes are common. I guess that limits the breed to large dogs.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I do commend you for planning to walk the dog everyday. It makes a tremendous impact to their lives and their behavior. There is a dog in our neighborhood that barks incessantly when outside and especially when people approach the yard (in a scary bark) and I haven't ever seen that dog out of the yard or on a walk. It sometimes bites but you have to walk your dog every single day (or take them to the dog park). Having a dog is a big responsibility!
Thanks but it's actually something I enjoy not a chore like it is for many people. One of my fondest memories in childhood is all the places I jogged with my dog. It was a great time as he never tired. In the summer when it was 100 he did get hot but I'd let him jump in the lake and then he was a happy camper. He'd shake off and then we'd be back exploring. I really look forward to that aspect of it.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Many rescues will not adopt dogs out to people who plan to keep them outside full-time (in a typical city or suburban home, working dogs on ranches are different). They can go outside but must have an indoor place to sleep. Yard dogs tend to be poorly socialized, most are not housebroken or well-trained. They bark too much and are lonely. It is not a good life for a dog and if you ever have to re-home a yard dog, it can be hard. Dogs want to be part of a family.

I have a friend that has offered a dog so this will not be a concern. I figure an outside dog is better than one in the dog pound. At least my dog will get lots of love and good medical care which is more than many dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin