Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Where I grew up in Louisiana, we always had an outside dog. So did all the neighbors. Inside dogs were virtually unheard of growing up.

It seems that here in Austin, everyone I know that has a pet keeps it inside. I don't know if it's because many people are from other places where they do it, or if it's generally because dogs cannot take the heat/cold of Austin, but I wanted to know what people's thoughts on this are.

The thing is that Louisiana gets just as cold as here and just as hot (but more humid so even worse), so even if people are keeping their dogs inside it wouldn't explain why a neighboring state with a similar climate doesn't do so. I also noticed that there are more outside dogs in East Austin than say Northwest Austin.

So, can anyone answer my question: Can I have an outside dog in Austin? And if so, what precautions do I need to do to make that happen.

The reason I can't have an indoor dog is I'm asthmatic and my sister is highly allergic to dogs and has said that "If you get an inside dog I will never visit you but if you have an outside dog I would still visit you." Also my son has been begging me for a dog.

Thanks for any advice about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Both our dogs are outside dogs now (with the occasional foray inside), but we live out in the country. However, when we lived in Austin, our Great Pyrenees was mostly an outside dog, as well. And the neighbors had PLENTY of outside dogs, even little (eternally) yappy ones.

All do just fine.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Poorer people and those who live in higher crime areas tend to have dogs not as pets but as protection. This isn't just in the U.S. but even places like Jamaica dogs are looked at as guards who patrol the property not as something that sits in your lap while you watch TV.

You can keep dogs outside in Austin but I think there are a few requirements like access to water and shelter. Also in Austin itself you are not allowed to chain a dog up even if you meet the other requirements.

It's still a good idea to keep the dogs in on the coldest and hottest days of the year. I mean can you imagine wearing a fur coat outdoors when it is 101 degrees and 50% humidity?

Also there are dogs that have less dander and less prone to give people attacks. Failing that some people put their dogs in the garage or laundry room when they are not outside.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 AM

156 posts, read 300,135 times
Can't speak to Austin but here in Northern VA people don't have outside dogs as the houses are close together and an outside dog would bark a lot and be subject to the Cops being called. I know there are certain things that much be done for shelter in regards to the elements and I would probably start with looking at the Austin Animal Control website.

If you have health issues I would probably refrain from a dog as they will need to be indoors if they ever have surgery, get injured, or get sick.

Or look for a breed that is not as prone to be an issue, we have Boxers and they have short hair that does not bother my mother who had dog and cat allergies. But then again, a Boxer is a horrible outdoor dog as they can't deal with heat well and with the short hair don't like the cold.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Where I grew up in Louisiana, we always had an outside dog. So did all the neighbors. Inside dogs were virtually unheard of growing up.

It seems that here in Austin, everyone I know that has a pet keeps it inside. I don't know if it's because many people are from other places where they do it, or if it's generally because dogs cannot take the heat/cold of Austin, but I wanted to know what people's thoughts on this are.

The thing is that Louisiana gets just as cold as here and just as hot (but more humid so even worse), so even if people are keeping their dogs inside it wouldn't explain why a neighboring state with a similar climate doesn't do so. I also noticed that there are more outside dogs in East Austin than say Northwest Austin.

So, can anyone answer my question: Can I have an outside dog in Austin? And if so, what precautions do I need to do to make that happen.

The reason I can't have an indoor dog is I'm asthmatic and my sister is highly allergic to dogs and has said that "If you get an inside dog I will never visit you but if you have an outside dog I would still visit you." Also my son has been begging me for a dog.

Thanks for any advice about this.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The only real issue with outdoor dogs is barking - if they aren't barkers, no problems. It sounds like you already know how to protect them from the heat can cold.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Poorer people and those who live in higher crime areas tend to have dogs not as pets but as protection. This isn't just in the U.S. but even places like Jamaica dogs are looked at as guards who patrol the property not as something that sits in your lap while you watch TV.

FWIW, the area I was speaking of upthread where many people have "outside" dogs is one of the more desirable areas and, at that time, houses NEVER went on the MLS because when the owners decided to sell, they never made it that far but were snapped up often before they were even listed.

You can keep dogs outside in Austin but I think there are a few requirements like access to water and shelter. Also in Austin itself you are not allowed to chain a dog up even if you meet the other requirements.

Absolutely, there are basic rules concerning care of the dog that should apply whether they are required by law or not.

It's still a good idea to keep the dogs in on the coldest and hottest days of the year. I mean can you imagine wearing a fur coat outdoors when it is 101 degrees and 50% humidity?

We thought about clipping the GP in the summer, but were advised strongly NOT to do so by several vets. Seems that double coat they have acted as insulation in summer as well as in winter.

I did try to bring her in once when it got down to 17 degrees. She thought I'd lost my mind - it was WONDERFUL outside as far as she was concerned!

Also there are dogs that have less dander and less prone to give people attacks. Failing that some people put their dogs in the garage or laundry room when they are not outside.
There are some lovely dog houses, too, that provide protection from the elements. You can even buy heaters for them (with chew-proofed cords).

Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
My hound (Rottweiler) is definitely an indoor dog because 1) he's part of the family, and not just a pet and 2) he insists on it! :-) But, when it isn't a day with extreme temperatures, we do sometimes leave him outside. As long as they have access to shade and water in the summer and cover/warm bed in the winter, they should do just fine on more moderate temperature days. I would NEVER leave any pet outside in 100+ or 20 degree weather but that's just my personal choice.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrissman View Post
Can't speak to Austin but here in Northern VA people don't have outside dogs as the houses are close together and an outside dog would bark a lot and be subject to the Cops being called.
In my experience people here don't care if their dog is bothering you. It has also been my experience that they don't care if their human noise is bothering you either.

My girlfriend brings her two dogs over to my house on the weekends. While neighbors on each side of me will have dogs barking at us I have trained these dogs to not bark at the neighbors.

If you decide to get a dog please keep in mind the size of your yard. A medium to large dog will not be happy in the average .25 acre or smaller yard unless you're going to take him for a run every day. The last large dog I had was a 95 lb Australian Shepard/Coon hound mix. He needed at least an acre of our lot to be able to stretch out and run and could easily use more.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Our dogs have always been (mostly) outside dogs. Generally Lab-types. Our current dog sleeps inside at night, but generally spends the rest of her time outside in all but super-cold weather. Heat? No big deal. She swims in the lake.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
I don't understand the point of outside dogs. Do you just look at them through the door? I've also noticed that they bark more because of boredom, loneliness and general lack of engagement by their owner. I also don't understand how one can expose them to 100+ temps (or 90+ especially for very furry dogs) with just a bowl of water (or ice or anything other than a nozzle hooked up to a cold water spout) for 8-10 hours or so. This is insane. Shade just doesn't cut it at those temps. Mine have a dog door and come in when uncomfortable. I think they'd rather be outside when the elements allow it so they have this option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin