Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
This is true. I moved from Austin to NYC almost 2 years ago and the number of single professional women to men definitely are the men's favor. I'm married so I can't truly comment but most of my friends are single and the men never have any problems with dating. The women I know are average to georgeous and have difficulty dating. In Austin, my "average" female friends never had those problems. Men have the upper hand by far. I went to a party yesterday with 3:1 Women to Men ratio, women were leaving due to lack of men. Also, the expensive clubs have strict policies and always have a ratio tilted toward more women. So, my point is if you have money, status, and decent looks in NYC, pulling a women is very easy.

Now, in Orange County CA, it seems like a sausage fest there. More good looking men then women...except during the daytime on the beach.
Why do you think this is the case? In many majority men cities, high tech industries predominate. I presume in NYC's case it's because of the fashion industry attracting large numbers of women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
I don't think they leave after graduating.

The reason for the imbalance is in migration patterns. Men are much more likely to leave their "home" area than women, when they're in their 20s and 30s. Traditionally this has been East to West, although in Austin's case there's the California influence.
I think you are mistaken there, the graph clearly shows a large drop off of women after college age.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Why do you think this is the case? In many majority men cities, high tech industries predominate. I presume in NYC's case it's because of the fashion industry attracting large numbers of women?
This strikes me as being highly relevant. Do high tech industries, and cities with reputations of being so, attract more men looking for careers then they do women? I can see that attracting more men, but it doesn't account for the number of women leaving.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Perhaps the women like to live in larger cities. I know that when I was in my 20s, I couldn't picture being anywhere other than the N.Y.C. I worked, I partied, I had so much at my doorstep.

Last edited by Bo; 01-17-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were referring to was deleted

Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This strikes me as being highly relevant. Do high tech industries, and cities with reputations of being so, attract more men looking for careers then they do women? I can see that attracting more men, but it doesn't account for the number of women leaving.
I think most people will only move somewhere where they can get a job. I think the gains in 18-21 years age are due to UT students and then when they graduate more women than men leave.

So the answer to the OP is we need to retain more UT women graduates.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
This is one of the reasons that I will not move to Austin, was that I could tell there were not a lot of women to go around. It just seemed no matter where I went, all I ever saw were guys walking around. South Congress Ave was slightly better, but even then, the quality of the women (appearance-wise) was not there; they didn't really look 'hot'. But in other parts of TX, the women are really hot, so I am not sure where the discrepancy is at.

It was the same thing in suburban Chicago, there were hardly ANY women. You would go to a nightclub, and it was almost all men, and because there were not enough women, the guys would get frustrated, angry, over-competitive, trying to start fights to get attention, etc. But down in the city, there are more women then men, which is great.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think you are mistaken there, the graph clearly shows a large drop off of women after college age.
It's a relative drop off. What that reflects I believe is that after age 21+ college educated men moving to Austin in larger numbers from other parts of the country (again, the "Go West" phenomenon), which causes the spread to immediately widen. I don't think this means that female UT Austin graduates are leaving Austin in numbers much different than UT Austin male graduates.

Last edited by mwv; 01-17-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 12:02 AM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Would that explain Philly, DC, and NYC too?
Philly somewhat and DC more so. NYC not so much; crime there has been substantially lower that the other two cities over the past 15 years.

Male college graduates in the Northeast generally are just a lot more likely to pick up and move across the country for a good job- especially in technology fields. Women tend to stay closer to family, on average.

Boston is the notable exception because there is substantial technology work happening there, which being male-dominated, balances out the M/F population.

To see how lopsided things are, you can see the figures at UT Austin Computer Sciences:

The University of Texas at Austin - Department of Computer Sciences - People - students - Undergraduate (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/academics/undergraduate/current_students/ - broken link)

Female 146 13.12%

Women hate computers

Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some off topic posts above were deleted. Please stick to discussing the original topic summarized in the title of the thread.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
Philly somewhat and DC more so. NYC not so much; crime there has been substantially lower that the other two cities over the past 15 years.

Male college graduates in the Northeast generally are just a lot more likely to pick up and move across the country for a good job- especially in technology fields. Women tend to stay closer to family, on average.

Boston is the notable exception because there is substantial technology work happening there, which being male-dominated, balances out the M/F population.

To see how lopsided things are, you can see the figures at UT Austin Computer Sciences:

The University of Texas at Austin - Department of Computer Sciences - People - students - Undergraduate (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/academics/undergraduate/current_students/ - broken link)

Female 146 13.12%

Women hate computers
OK so based on that one could say that the male nerds in Austin are more likely to say for all the tech jobs here. And the women who have degrees in other areas are more likely to move away for jobs, opportunities offered elsewhere.

So we need to diversify the job opportunities offered in Austin if we want to retain more of those female graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin