Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 PM

5 posts, read 45,236 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family (wife, 4 yr old son, dog and I) presently live in San Francisco.

We are looking to move to a smaller, less expensive city in the country with good school, great medical facilities, good culture and weather.

We have shortlisted it down to two cities - Austin, TX and Cary, NC.

I would really like your feedback and inputs, especially from anyone who might have lived in both places.

I thank you for your time.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 AM

228 posts, read 537,160 times
I haven't lived in both but I've spent a lot of time in the Raleigh-Durham area. I would compare the entire metro areas here since Cary is a suburb of 140k whereas Austin is a city of 800k.

Neither metro area will have good culture to you coming from SF. Austin has an active arts scene but lacks somewhat in museums and other civic amenities for a city its size.

You can find great schools in both Cary and in the right areas of Austin.

Raleigh-Durham has more mild weather than Austin. Austin's summers are very hot.

Austin has much worse traffic than Raleigh, so commuting will probably be more of an issue if you choose Austin.

I think both places are great. Both are "high-tech" cities. Raleigh-Durham feels smaller and has more trees. Austin has more personality and better recreational options.

Overall I slightly prefer Austin, but I could be equally happy in Raleigh (or Cary).

Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 AM

5 posts, read 45,236 times
Hi, thanks for your reply....

we do realize that we will be giving up on a lot of the cultural and recreational activities moving from SF, but SF is becoming too expensive to live in!

Our primary criteria would be to find a place that's ideal for families and has great schools and affordable housing.

I know that Cary has some really top notch schools (but it has also led to over crowding). Are there equally good schools in Austin and more importantly, is housing affordable in those areas?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 AM

9 posts, read 19,994 times
I am considering moving to Austin and know the Cary/Carrboro/ Chapel Hill area very well. I think for someone with a family the sheer "green" beauty (summer in NC is just amazing) of the Cary area would be hard to pass up. I've heard great things about people in Austin, but I think it would be tough for any environment to be more welcoming, open-minded, etc than that part of North Carolina.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebluegreen View Post
I've heard great things about people in Austin, but I think it would be tough for any environment to be more welcoming, open-minded, etc than that part of North Carolina.
Although I have never been to Cary, I know people who live there (work for SAS). Austin is justly noted for being welcoming, open-minded as most of Texas is. Equal to (or more or less?) than Cary - I can't say. But much of Austin's growth is due to newcomers from all over.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I've been to the Cary area and I don't think someone from SF would particularly like it. The scenery is beautiful, but so is Hill Country. As far as the weather, their summer is milder but their winter is colder with snow every year. Compared to SF weather, you will find both cities extreme.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I love Cary and the whole Research Triangle area, but this just seems like an economic no-brainer to me. Austin.

Quote:
I've heard great things about people in Austin, but I think it would be tough for any environment to be more welcoming, open-minded, etc than that part of North Carolina.
I'm guessing you've never actually been to Austin?

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 01-16-2011 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
I know that Cary has some really top notch schools (but it has also led to over crowding). Are there equally good schools in Austin and more importantly, is housing affordable in those areas?
There are some top notch public schools in northwest Austin and its suburbs (specifically in Round Rock and Leander ISDs). There is probably more variation in the quality of the schools in these (large) districts compared to Cary, but the better crop of schools in Round Rock and Leander are probably right on par with what you'd find in Cary.

Housing in those areas is cheap relative to what you might pay to live in other great districts such as Eanes ISD.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I am considering moving to Austin and know the Cary/Carrboro/ Chapel Hill area very well. I think for someone with a family the sheer "green" beauty (summer in NC is just amazing) of the Cary area would be hard to pass up. I've heard great things about people in Austin, but I think it would be tough for any environment to be more welcoming, open-minded, etc than that part of North Carolina.
I would say Austin is at least as "open-minded" as Raleigh-Durham. Having spent lots of time both places, I would apply that label to Austin before Raleigh.

As for the beauty of the two areas, I would say it is a close call. I love the tree cover in NC, but I also love the big hills and lakes in Austin.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
No comparison between the two. Raleigh/Durham area would win hands down. Better climate, closer to mountains, closer to many big cities, larger high tech concentrations, lower housing costs, better nightlife, tons of forested areas, better airlines service, less overall congestion, and best of ALL, it's NOT in Texas (a reason that could easily stand by itself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
Hi All,

My family (wife, 4 yr old son, dog and I) presently live in San Francisco.

We are looking to move to a smaller, less expensive city in the country with good school, great medical facilities, good culture and weather.

We have shortlisted it down to two cities - Austin, TX and Cary, NC.

I would really like your feedback and inputs, especially from anyone who might have lived in both places.

I thank you for your time.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin