U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 PM

32 posts, read 60,262 times

Advertisements

Is there a bug problem (roaches) in Austin?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,063,378 times
Short answer: yes.

This is the type of environment that roaches love, warm, lots of trees. Every city has something. There are also ants, scorpions, etc.

The good news is that they're not the end of the world, just a minor nuisance. You can have your house treated for pests and put fire ant poison out in the yard. Even if you have your house treated regularly and are very clean, you will probably still see roaches intermittently. But, it's not such a huge deal. If I had to compare months of dreary weather and snow to squishing a roach once a week, it's a pretty good deal.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM

32 posts, read 60,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Short answer: yes.

This is the type of environment that roaches love, warm, lots of trees. Every city has something. There are also ants, scorpions, etc.

The good news is that they're not the end of the world, just a minor nuisance. You can have your house treated for pests and put fire ant poison out in the yard. Even if you have your house treated regularly and are very clean, you will probably still see roaches intermittently. But, it's not such a huge deal. If I had to compare months of dreary weather and snow to squishing a roach once a week, it's a pretty good deal.
I figured they are around. I lived in Dallas, they have them there also but you mostly see them if you are dirty. I just wanted to know if they are really bad. I currently live in Charleston, SC and they are everywhere. Everybody has them regardless whether you live in an immaculate home, your rich, poor, clean or filthy. The climate here is sub-tropical so they love it here.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 PM

6 posts, read 25,217 times
I moved to Brentwood (Central Austin) in May of last year and noticed a couple in an outdoor closet attached to the house. And I noticed a couple of dead ones in the attic. They were the giant outdoor variety. We painted before we moved in and found a dead one in one room one morning when we came out. The previous owners were clean and kind of snobbish (ha) so I doubt they tolerated roaches.

Anyway, I bought some Bengal spray and used it in the outdoor closet. The back closet has an opening that goes under the house into the crawl space. Anyway, I closed the doors and waited. After about 5 minutes, about 30 roaches came streaming out of the closet and died. I'm guessing they were under the house. I think sometimes they would accidentally get into the house through unsealed openings near old gas lines in the floorboards of each room. We sealed every opening we could find in the house.

A week later we had Aztec come out for good measure to spray outside, inside, under the house, etc. No contract. Just a one time treatment.

Anyway, knock on wood, but we've never seen another roach. Outside, inside, anywhere. We've been here almost a year. I'll sometimes try to catch one outside in places they should be, and I've sprayed the Bengal spray again to see what happens. Nothing.

We'll have Aztec back out in the spring. I know everyone is different, but I've lived in Austin my entire life, and never saw roaches until I moved central. And even ONE roach is too many for us. I don't want to see them dead or alive. But dead and not in the house works.

So, that's my story. :-)

Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,063,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper98 View Post
I figured they are around. I lived in Dallas, they have them there also but you mostly see them if you are dirty. I just wanted to know if they are really bad. I currently live in Charleston, SC and they are everywhere. Everybody has them regardless whether you live in an immaculate home, your rich, poor, clean or filthy. The climate here is sub-tropical so they love it here.
Right. The climate is similar here. Even very clean houses will see the occasional roach. If you pick up clutter, have someone come out regularly to seal up holes, have the edges of each room sprayed, put out traps, etc, it will likely help, but still, they're rampant through town. It's definitely not fair to say only "dirty" people/homes have them. I've seen them in even the most spotless houses.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 AM

9,366 posts, read 9,296,168 times
We built our home here in the Brushy Creek area in 1995.

Saw only 2 little scorpions the year after we moved in - one was in the bathroom & the other was on the front sidewalk. NEVER have seen a roach or a waterbug in the house (or outside).
Lots of tiny little spiders and the occasional silverfish.

And we rarely spray insecticides inside or out.

We do have fire ant mounds that pop up after big rains, but a bit of Amdro moves 'em over to the neighbor's.

Once every few years in the Fall, the area gets an infestation of crickets for a couple weeks, which can be annoying & messy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin