Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,159,983 times

Advertisements

sorry, not trying to highjack my neighbor's post!

I have been wondering about the schools in Crestview, though - we have a child about to start K and really have fallen in love with Gullett based on reviews and the website. That is why we are focused there if we choose a downtown area rather than a suburban neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM

293 posts, read 727,919 times
When talking about traffic you can't compare to NYC, LA, DC, etc... to Austin. We are the 35th largest metro and you're bringing up the 1st, 2nd and 8th largest? Of COURSE their traffic is most likely worse. Anyone who uses that grapefruit to grape comparison are fooling themselves.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM

319 posts, read 733,448 times
having driven in traffic in all these places...

Yes - Austin is absolutely positively TERRIBLE for traffic

Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM

156 posts, read 298,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
When talking about traffic you can't compare to NYC, LA, DC, etc... to Austin. We are the 35th largest metro and you're bringing up the 1st, 2nd and 8th largest? Of COURSE their traffic is most likely worse. Anyone who uses that grapefruit to grape comparison are fooling themselves.
I understand the size difference and comprehend the difference hence why I originally asked for comments from those who have experience in other cities.

In DC every road/street is jammed, The Capitol Beltway, I95, I270, I70, I66, the toll road, the Greenway, and The GW Parkway to name a few of the major roads. There is traffic for 60 miles from the center of DC, sometimes further. Some are even backed up for those with the revers commute so you just stay off the roads from 7:30 to 9am and 4-7pm unless you have to be on them. So I was trying to figure out if its the same in Austin.

I am originally from the Pittsburgh area and they consider a 25 minute 15 mile commute to be bad where as I see that as a walk in the park. So its about perspective and I was trying to get some of the newcomers to Austin to give me theirs.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:12 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,986,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
sorry, not trying to highjack my neighbor's post!

I have been wondering about the schools in Crestview, though - we have a child about to start K and really have fallen in love with Gullett based on reviews and the website. That is why we are focused there if we choose a downtown area rather than a suburban neighborhood.
Pretty sure Gullett has room for more transfers. You could also look at the elementary in Brykerwoods. There's one in Hyde Park also that's very good but the name escapes me. Honestly, living in the core city opens up quite a few quality elementary school options to you to find the best fit for your child since most are not at capacity and can take transfers.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:25 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,159,983 times
but doing a transfer defeats the purpose of living in a walkable neighborhood. I want a walkable neighborhood where I can get a decent sized (1700-2000 sf) single family home for less than $400K and be able to walk to schools, parks and restaurants.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,829,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrissman View Post
I understand the size difference and comprehend the difference hence why I originally asked for comments from those who have experience in other cities.

In DC every road/street is jammed, The Capitol Beltway, I95, I270, I70, I66, the toll road, the Greenway, and The GW Parkway to name a few of the major roads. There is traffic for 60 miles from the center of DC, sometimes further. Some are even backed up for those with the revers commute so you just stay off the roads from 7:30 to 9am and 4-7pm unless you have to be on them. So I was trying to figure out if its the same in Austin.

I am originally from the Pittsburgh area and they consider a 25 minute 15 mile commute to be bad where as I see that as a walk in the park. So its about perspective and I was trying to get some of the newcomers to Austin to give me theirs.
If you are accostomed to DC traffic then Austin will be a breeze. We have traffic, it's only going to get worse, it is nothing like DC. Give us a few years though.

The main difference here is, traffic can be avoided for the most part. We have more "bottlenecks" then we have actualy bad traffic. Bottlenecks can be avoided.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Misery is relative. Austin traffic has become horrible to anyone who has lived here for more than 10 years. Is it worse than LA, NY, DC? No. But it's bad. It used to be you could rip up and down Mopac in 15 minutes from 183 to the river. Now in rush hour it can take an hour. So, yes, we long time Austinites say traffic sucks.
Add to the problem that there really isn't anywhere to build out new roads and affordable housing is built in the suburbs, at the end of the highway.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM

333 posts, read 635,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
This was filmed here. I doubt they had to stage the traffic.
that was filmed off 635 in Dallas, you can see galleria towers in the background

Old 01-18-2011, 03:03 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
that was filmed off 635 in Dallas, you can see galleria towers in the background
This has been brought up before. There are some traffic scenes that were filmed in Dallas, but most of the traffic jam scenes at the beginning of the movie were filmed on Braker near Burnet. You can clearly see JJ Pickle Research in the background (not saying that you can see it in that shot). Of course this was way before Austin had traffic that bad (1999) so it was definitely staged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin