Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM

47 posts, read 230,948 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide which school would be best for my daughter. I'm looking for an open, diverse school with good attention to the arts where my kid won't be singled out and bullied for being different. We've had some really bad experiences with the so called "great school districts" in Austin. I know McCallum is the fine and performing arts school but outside of that, looks a little rough around the edges. Austin high looks like a really nice campus but I am not sure what the kids might be like. I'm trying to avoid the "preppies rule" type of school.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Those two schools are easily #1 & #2 for an artsy kid. It's debatable which is better for a particular kid. Tour both and pick which one works for you.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 AM

47 posts, read 230,948 times
Thanks Achtung.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Have you considered applying to LASA? It's easily the best HS in AISD, and is a mixed bag of kids from all over Austin.

Last edited by jobert; 01-18-2011 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM

172 posts, read 411,336 times
Austin high hands down. i must say though, out of those 2 schools they really are not the best. Everyone should know 9/10 public schools suck. and Bowie ranks #1 out of Austin High schools.
id say it goes

Bowie
Austin high
mccalum or anderson
and than so on
crocket,
leanier
lbj
akins
eastside memorial all suck!

the really good schools are out of the small small city limits of austin. they are Round rock ISD, leander, lago vista, lake travis, georgetown, marble falls, dripping springs, and eanes are all better from what i hear. and all those include a huge area of schools. Not to mention their are hundreds of hundreds of different other schools, like private schools. however if you must decide between austin high and mccalum i would chose austin high. Its very artsy, and their is a lot of different clubs. the Campus is very nice however Austin high has gone down a lot in recent years. Austin high in the 90's and prior used to be way way better. as most of the only kids who went to Austin high were kids from the local area, Tarrytown, pemberton, clarksville, bryker woods area. basically most of the 78703. and we all know usually parents, are the deciding factor in grades and behavior and from what we can tell usually, those who make more money tend to have smarter kids. know this might affend some, but its usually true. not all the time, but hell if you grow up rich you are likely to be richer than your parents when you are older, or growing up wealthy. you will usually be in private schools, and be around people who do not mess around as much. all in all the kids at austin high are very great. the only reason the Grades have done down is because a lot of the kids from tarrytown area, do not go to Austin high a lot of them are going to private schools like st andrews, or regents, or kable, or hyde park or st stephens. or st michaels. That is the current trend in a lot of my freinds when i was at Austin high. and a lot of my freinds younger siblings are going to Private schools over Austin High. this is cause a lot of parents are finding out that austin high grades have gone down, and kids from all over the city are being bussed to Austin High. Anyone can attend austin high basically, its not hard to get a transfer into. unlike private schools were they choose you and you pay lots of money. or Districts like Lake Travis or Eanies, were you must live in the school district which tends to usually be very pricey. Austin high is in austin, and is a public school. its located down town off cesar chavez. know evantually AISD will probally build another HS, probably in southwest austin and that will ease off some kids who attend austin high. and thus a lot of kids from the eastside will probally attend eastside memorial more since it wont be as crowded. for example, a lot of kids who go to austin high, live not even close to the school. they are bussig kids from Oak hill which is a good 7 miles- 12 miles away at some points. Bowie high school is closer, however Bowie is filled up already. and Bowie its very hard to get a transfer to, despite it being in the AISD school district. you have to live in bowie or get a transfer which is hard to go to bowie. Austin High i have seen kids from Del valle, and kids from Manor, and kids from south austin, and southwest austin all attending. and of course kids from tarrytown. austin high also had a rather large party culture, from ho down to toga, to all the # of parties prior to spring break. Austin has the school name has been around for over 100 years, and has tons of tradition. sadly that tradition is dying down, as this year the juniors did not throw hoe down. and last years seniors hoe down got busted, and has been getting busted for the past several years. parties get busted more when they are big. and a lot of the Original Austin high culture. ( which is kids from tarrytown, clarksville area, the original people who atteneded austin high) a lot of them have had kids who had kids who attend austin high. but a lot of those people have moved on, and a lot of kids in pemberton, t town, clarksville area who should go to austin high. go to private schools know, since the parents know its more useful and a better education.

however i would pick AHS hands down over mccalum its a better school, the people are better from what i remember, their is more to do, the school is nicer, better grades i think, better at sports, and know AHS has some global academy for the kids who want to be in pre ap everything.

btw i graduated from Austin high a few years ago. so id say my statement carries some weight, as the school can only change so much in a few years.

Peace

Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssourgirl View Post
I'm trying to decide which school would be best for my daughter. I'm looking for an open, diverse school with good attention to the arts where my kid won't be singled out and bullied for being different.
You've just described McCallum High School. I have over 10 years, and current, experience with my own children in the school. Austin High is also a good school, but your description is of McCallum. It's a great community with a diverse population, caring teachers/administration, and involved parents.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Yes, I'd pick McCallum too! It is a diverse and accepting school. Great teachers, amazing fine arts program, and it is a bit smaller around 1600 students. Anderson is more sports orientated and can be tough socially. Austin High is diverse but splintered. McCallum sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
deathpenalty - not trying to be mean, but you really need to take a composition class. Your posts are incredibly hard to read.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssourgirl View Post
I know McCallum is the fine and performing arts school but outside of that, looks a little rough around the edges.
I'm not sure what you mean by rough around the edges. If it is the campus, yes it is old, but have you driven by and seen the new theater being built? As it is now though, it has a lot of history, and I like that. Many of the parents of current students went to school there themselves.

If it is the student population, it will expose you to socio-economic groups you may not have had the opportunity to be around. I'm not sure you can gauge things by one visit to the campus. You have to get to know the kids through volunteering with your child's clubs and organizations.

Go to football games and get to know the families. Watch how they treat others, supporting opposing teams who only have a few parents in the stands. You'll be among a wide variety of parents, from surgeons to retail clerks, all who have something in common.

I also like that the programs at McCallum are open to all, not just students in the Academy.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
capcat and centralaustinite - have your children attended Lamar? That is really my only concern about the Allandale area for our daughter. I have read mixed reviews, but I try to take them with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin