U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 AM

23 posts, read 30,616 times

Advertisements

i'll try to make this short and sweet. i'm a 25 year old electrician in st. louis. my wife and my income is around 85,000 a year, which is great. we have everything we want, nice brand new house, nice vehicles etc. we have more than alot of people we know here locally.

we are SICK of st. louis weather. it's cool or cold for 7-8 months of the year.

i've been looking all over the internet for about 20 hours total, and my search has led me to the austin area. (allergies permitting, still have to visit) or so i've heard

i'm not moving until i have zero debt (sell our house, and pay off credit cards) and i have a job.

my main questin: not to be cocky, but i'm too smart/organized to do manual labor anymore. i like working hard, and can't sit at a desk. IF i stayed in the electrical field, i'd want to be a foreman, and do estimating. but if i decided that manual labor isn't what i want to do. what do i do now? i'm 25 years old, will have a kid sometime soon i hope, can't go back to school. i honestly don't know how to get into a new field and make good money, is it possible? all i know is the electrical job i've been doin for the past 6 years !!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 AM

25 posts, read 57,054 times
At that age it could be tough. I'd expect most electrical companies here (or anywhere) would want you to work in the field for a while, and sort of work your way up. But if you've been a foreman in STL for a while and have some great references, then that would be different.

But you sound very motivated... so breaking into a new field wouldn't be impossible. Just keep in mind there are lots of people here who've been trying the same thing for a while.

Speaking more generally it might be wise to wait until the economy picks up before relocating, unless you can line a job up in advance.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 AM

2,109 posts, read 5,418,569 times
Well... it to me sure seems like things are going great for you now and you just bought a new house. You have a good job that pays pretty well. So why move in the first place? All because of the weather? Not sure if you've done some research about Austin weather but it gets HOT in Austin... as in 90-100 degrees for months on end. So in reality you'd possibly be trading one form of crappy weather for another.

Secondly, you have a job now. I myself live in California and about a year an a half ago lost my job. My first thought was to find a job in Austin. Doing so is easier said than done. Believe it or not the competition for jobs is incredibly fierce there. I had absolutely no luck getting anything. We're talking applying to jobs way below my level. I wound up getting a job back in Cali.

Thirdly, there are plenty of cities and states where the weather isn't cold for 7-8 months out of the year nor do they have such scorching summers. NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, and FL are all states where you could have better weather. I'm originally from TN and the weather is generally warm from March-October, or 7 months out of the year. It certainly doesn't get near as blasted hot either.

Anyway, you're 25. You've got PLENTY of time. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM

23 posts, read 30,616 times
i hear ya, i wish i would have just started there lol. i'm looking at this move being next summer, so i have a while. but im a planner, i want to have everything laid out ya know. everyone says jobs are hard to get and i agree.
i got married sept 09, that summer of 09 times were really slow for me, so i picked up a 2nd job. from the time i decided, it's time for a 2nd job to the time i actually started was about 2-3 weeks. and i actually had 2 interviews, one at papa johns, and another at the small pizza place i worked. times are tough i agree, but i'd work at applebees as a cook if need be ya know?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM

16,791 posts, read 44,875,635 times
See this recent thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ing-going.html

Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM

14,385 posts, read 31,584,515 times
As an idea, you might look into health and safety positions. They are regulatory driven, so they do not disappear all of a sudden, and an electrical background would cover one of he areas in H&S that is often the least understood area. It really is a different area, but if you are motivated and willing to learn and can learn to decipher regulatory jargon, it can make for a long career and/or train you in multiple other areas with future job potentials. It is a combination of field work and office work, usually, and there are positions in private industry and in consulting. The pay may not be what you are making now, but the upper end is probably higher and the industry less cyclical.

Good luck in any case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin