Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
The Montessori programs are around 8K a year. The catholic schools are less as is Holy Redeemer Lutheran. You are cherry picking your evidence.
Nope. Catholic schools are not less. Sure St. Austin's is around 5500, but St. Gabriel's is over 12K!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Quote:
I'd be interested to see what the language REALLY is. Perhaps it says something about resources, as in the school doesn't have them? Because that's what I've read in some of the schools we are looking into and that is a far cry from we don't want them here.
This is verbatim from the application...

What about classroom modifications for learning disabilities?

[We] are unable to provide modifications for students with special learning needs. Students with any learning disability must be able to function in [our] high academic environment without classroom or grading modifications.

This isn't a small private school. It's one of the largest, well regarded, and best funded. Probably top 3-4 in the city.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Quote:
BTW, I grew up poor but I went to private school because Catholic schools have money set aside for the truly needy members of their parish so this idea that only rich kids or upper middle class kids can go to private schools is bumpkis.
Having toured Redeemer just on Wednesday, according to the principal, they don't have funds to cover "financial aid". They eat the cost to provide needy kids with tuition. That can only go so far.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
How about an interesting personal anecdote?

When I first applied for a teaching position in AISD (1967) the personnel office was at the old Bickler Building on East Avenue. Ernest Cabe was the director, and his department had one other staff - a secretary, with no computers.

That was for a district that had 60,000+ enrollment.

Today's AISD enrollment is about 81,000+.

The AISD Human Relations (personnel) office today has 33 total employees - and no telling how many computers.

Just one example of one department.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

When I first applied for a teaching position in AISD (1967) the personnel office was at the old Bickler Building on East Avenue. Ernest Cabe was the director, and his department had one other staff - a secretary, with no computers.

The AISD Human Relations (personnel) office today has 33 total employees - and no telling how many computers.

And they will defend each of those employees as VITAL to the operation of the district.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:49 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

any idea how many reports must be completed for how many agencies for how many employees today vs. 44 years ago?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
1) anecdotes are meaningless. On the whole private schools dont accept special needs students
2) anecdotes are meaningless, statistically poor people are hugely underrepresented in private schools for obvious reasons
3) competition can happen within the public school system.
4) government (even state) funds going to religious schools is most likely unconstitutional.

You do believe in the constitution right? law of the land, founding fathers, tea party etc. right?
I agree that competition can happen within the public school system as long as the school district lets go of centralized planning and as long as teachers are not forced to join the teacher's union.

And what the hell is the last line of your post supposed to mean? There are plenty of secular private schools out there that could accept vouchers.

What do you mean by special needs anyway? Mentally disabled? ADHD ?(a label I am now suspect of). Kids that don't learn in a traditional learning environment? If that is the case, there are actually private schools that employ different teaching techniques to meet such kids needs. Do you have kids? Have you had them in the public schools yet? I have and this one size fits all paradigm that they are using is doing little for special needs kids.

Last edited by Jennibc; 01-22-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Having toured Redeemer just on Wednesday, according to the principal, they don't have funds to cover "financial aid". They eat the cost to provide needy kids with tuition. That can only go so far.
I am not understanding your point. So it sounds like they do allow some kids in that are needy whether they call it funds for financial aid or eating the cost, isn't the result that same, that needy kids can go. A limited number, surely, but still doesn't that mean they can attend?

We toured Parkside, a secular Montessori, a few weeks ago and they do have limited "scholarships" for needy families.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Nope. Catholic schools are not less. Sure St. Austin's is around 5500, but St. Gabriel's is over 12K!
Well, let me RESTATE, some Catholic schools are less, it depends on their mission and many take kids on a sliding scale so even if you cannot afford the tuition, as was our case when I was growing up, they let you go. In fact, one of my law professors used to joke that he went to the "poor man's private school," Catholic School.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
you mean like kicking out or not accepting special needs children?
This sounds anecdotal to me? Can you provide some evidence (since you aren't big on anecdote and all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin