Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM

732 posts, read 2,125,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
You wanna see those jobs taken? Then cut unemployment benefits. Pretty freaking simple. 2 years unemployed and people pleading for another two years of benefits? That's not "helping someone get back on their feet", that's a structural problem that benefits can't fix.

If unemployed people weren't allowed to vote, benefits would be cut tomorrow.
I hate how the rep system requires me to spread reps around. Just go ahead and add one mentally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I hate how the rep system requires me to spread reps around. Just go ahead and add one mentally.

Imagine you are the private sector boss (90%+ of whom are Republicans) who signs the checks. You have to choose between two accountants to hire; both unemployed for 3 years as accountants, except one of the applicants worked an $8/hour job to makes ends meet while looking for a 50K accountant position - the other applicant didn't, and instead accepted 3 years of tax-payer funded benefits.

Rhetorical question: Who do you think the boss is going to hire? How do these two behaviors reflect on the individual?

The people who take unemployment for 3-4 years are going to have to explain that on their resume. There is talk of "unemployable" people and structural unemployment as a new reality.. the long-term unemployed have the perception that their skills are "rusty" but I think the truth is that hardship brings out people's true character, and the long-term unemployed people's willingness to take 3 years worth of government handouts is what speaks the loudest.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 PM

732 posts, read 2,125,905 times
Quote:
Imagine you are the private sector boss (90%+ of whom are Republicans) who signs the checks. You have to choose between two accountants to hire; both unemployed for 3 years as accountants, except one of the applicants worked an $8/hour job to makes ends meet while looking for a 50K accountant position - the other applicant didn't, and instead accepted 3 years of tax-payer funded benefits.

Rhetorical question: Who do you think the boss is going to hire? How do these two behaviors reflect on the individual?

The people who take unemployment for 3-4 years are going to have to explain that on their resume. There is talk of "unemployable" people and structural unemployment as a new reality.. the long-term unemployed have the perception that their skills are "rusty" but I think the truth is that hardship brings out people's true character, and the long-term unemployed people's willingness to take 3 years worth of government handouts is what speaks the loudest.
I'm not sure if you were trying to convince me but I was saying I agree with you. If you were just expanding on what you said then I agree with what you just said, too.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
If no one will do farm work for $8 per hour, then wages should rise enough to get people to work. Of course unemployment should not be so lucrative to keep people "on the sofa" so to speak.

If wages rise, then the farmer's expenses rise - which makes food more expensive.

THAT IS OK WITH ME if the workers are legal workers. I think our cost of goods should reflect our desired state.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I'm not sure if you were trying to convince me but I was saying I agree with you. If you were just expanding on what you said then I agree with what you just said, too.
I almost always start my posts with a quote, then I veer off topic and into irrelevancy. In the end it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, I was just blowing off steam.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If no one will do farm work for $8 per hour, then wages should rise enough to get people to work. Of course unemployment should not be so lucrative to keep people "on the sofa" so to speak.

If wages rise, then the farmer's expenses rise - which makes food more expensive.

THAT IS OK WITH ME if the workers are legal workers. I think our cost of goods should reflect our desired state.
Staying off-topic here.. I agree. I don't think we really need $1 pints of strawberries. I think we should all pay more for things like groceries and durable goods, while we pay less for our houses. We have literally "passed the buck" in that sense. Because we have gotten away with cheap "everything" we have ended up flushing the extra money into overpriced housing. This gross misallocation of our funds was made possible by our exploitation of migrant labor. Some will say, "but migrants built our houses".. guess what? WE did not get the benefit of that trade-off, the builder did. Companies like DR Horton pay migrant labor 40K in wages and 40K in material to build a house that they turn around a sell to the homebuyer for 250K. We still believe they are worth 250K because we've pass the buck around through RE transactions. When we find ourselves spending $5/gallon for gas, and 6$ for a gallon of storebrand milk, then we have had the "passed the buck" back to ourselves, and only then we will have found out how much we overpaying for our houses because we could - because everything else was cheap from foreign labor.

Last edited by jobert; 01-26-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,907 times
Has everyone forgotten about the "robin hood" law? All of our property taxes do not go to our local schools. Millions and millions of dollars leave many Austin area school and go to other district in the state of texas.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,028 times
Four more schools added to the wood pile. *sigh*

4 more Austin schools added to list for possible closure

Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanne76 View Post
Has everyone forgotten about the "robin hood" law? All of our property taxes do not go to our local schools. Millions and millions of dollars leave many Austin area school and go to other district in the state of texas.
And because of that poor rural schools are able to get computers and other advanced technology to help their students get just as good as education as the richer school districts.

That is one thing I applaud regarding Texas; it gives the poor districts a chance to have current equipment.

No, they don't have the teen student day cares and they don't have parent assistants and they don't have football fields to rival UT but they have computers and AV equipment and access to software programs and can hire staff for after school tutoring and homework help.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 PM

308 posts, read 600,375 times
Quote:
You wanna see those jobs taken? Then cut unemployment benefits. Pretty freaking simple. 2 years unemployed and people pleading for another two years of benefits? That's not "helping someone get back on their feet", that's a structural problem that benefits can't fix.

If unemployed people weren't allowed to vote, benefits would be cut tomorrow.
This is why these type of people lost their jobs. They were fired for a reason and then giving them the opportunity to draw unemployment. To me, that is a win, win for them that do loose their jobs. : smack:

I knew a guy whom worked @ motorola, got great money, economy took a dump. He lost his job, then he took the unemployment beni's and took his time. Instead of getting something to accept to get back in his field of work. He said he refuse to accept a job that did not pay him what he was getting from Motorola. 3-yrs later, still jobless and is a work of art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin