Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 PM

39 posts, read 96,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Do you mind disclosing your community so we can all avoid moving there in the future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maastrichtian View Post
I also use Action Propane, and I also have been spending on average $450/month for the past three months, one fill up per month in the winter. 1-2 fill-ups for the rest of the year. So I'm looking at probably $2000+ per year. We have no leak, and we have our own tank. It is... RIDICULOUS.

Having said that, are you really going to not consider living somewhere based solely on propane prices? If so... that's a little... well... I'm just going to stop there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
I would absolutely base where I lived on the price of utilities. If I lived in the area the original poster does I would seriously consider switching to all electric.

We are on natural gas and my last bill for 2130sf was under $50. I do keep the heat at 61 and use a small heater in the computer room where I spend most of the day.
I would absolutely consider every cost to me when living somewhere. Some people avoid communities based on HOA fees. Some avoid high tax areas. There's nothing wrong with avoiding a neighborhood due to high utility costs.

At the end of the year those costs add up so you'd might as well tack that on to the sales price of the home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
$490! wasn't even that cold last month. can't wait for next months bill. gg sharp/amerigas!

we are actually happy the house we are moving into this spring is all electric...
Curious to know your annual propane bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,449,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
I would absolutely base where I lived on the price of utilities. If I lived in the area the original poster does I would seriously consider switching to all electric.

We are on natural gas and my last bill for 2130sf was under $50. I do keep the heat at 61 and use a small heater in the computer room where I spend most of the day.
The HOA is used to compel homeowners to install and use gas appliances under threat of fine and foreclosure on their homes. Just another example evidencing that HOAs do not and never have preserved value for the homeowners. The HOA is used to preserve value in your home for the HOA vendors.

These central gas systems are propane systems. Propane is economically unregulated - which means that the vendor can charge whatever fees they want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And they get no choice at all ?
Boggles the mind since the tank is hooked up to the house so one should be free to use whoever they want to fill up that tank.

Do those "community propane" subdivisions operate differently ?
Do they not have their own tanks at the house ?
These are all HOA-burdened properties (see note above). Typically there are one or more 30,000 gallon propane tanks distributed in or adjacent the subdivision. The gas company and developer enter into a mutually beneficial financial arrangement - part of which is implementing restrictive covenants obligating homeowners to install and use propane gas-fired appliances including water heaters, kitchen ranges, and furnaces. If you don't do this you will be threatened with fines, litigation, and foreclosure on the home.

When you walk into a home and see gas appliances - you might initially think "that's nice". Buyers are not aware of the scheme.

The original SUG systems provide for homeowners to pay for a "waiver fee" to avoid implementing these gas appliances. That fee was a few thousand dollars. However, the HOA will still be used to threaten you - particularly in a developer-controlled subdivision due to the profit sharing or royalty arrangement between the developer and the central gas vendor. SUG systems never required you to buy gas from them or prohibited you from installing your own tank. That was accomplished by the developer controlled HOA and "architectural committees."

The post-SUG systems tend to be in subdivisions where the developer specifically prohibits you from being able to get gas from anywhere else and requires you (via restrictive covenant) to enter into a service "contract" with the gas vendor. The terms of the "contract" of course are really more like enslavement since the homeowner is forced to accept whatever terms the developer-aligned propane company demands. This is so "out of the ordinary" that consumers are simply unfamiliar with this "deal" or what the implications are.

If there are alternatives, these places will suffer marketability issues as the word gets out.

Homeowners didn't realize that the "master plan" of the master-planned subdivisions was that they were hopping on a residual income stream treadmill for the benefit of the developer, local government, and HOA vendors - not for the homeowner.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 13,183 times
Below is the list of communities that have central propane distribution systems in Texas. The developers in these communities grant the propane companies monopoly rights and there is no regulation on price or service for these monopolies. Propane is now the most expensive way to heat your home. You should choose electric heat pumps if possible instead - much, much more energy efficent and lower cost than propane.
Alta Vista
Arbolago
Austin's Colony
Autumn Wood
Bel Terra
Bella Lago
Bella Strada Lakeway
Ben Brook
Briar Creek
Brushy Creek
Caslano/River Bend
Century Ranch
Chaparral Crossing
Commander's Point
Cordillera Ranch
Costa Bella
Dogwood Hills
Dry Creek Estates
Eagle Mountain lake resort
Enclave at Brushy Creek - Hutto
Falconhead West
Flint Rock (Falls)
Forest Bluff
Foxwood
Garden Valley
Glenwood Estates - Hutto
Greenshores
Hamilton Point
Heritage Park
Hills of Lakeway
Hornsby Glen
Howard Ranch
Jacaradas
La Ventana
Ladera Ranch
Lago Vista Village Center
Lake Pointe
Lake Wind
Lakeside
Las Brisas at Ensenada Shores
Madrone Canyon Estates
Maravilla
Martin's Meadows
Meadowcreek
North Creek Ranch
North Lakeway Village
North Lakeways Village section 2
North Shore and The Point
Oakhill
Reserve
Ridge at Alta Vista
River Front Village/Kerrville
Rob Roy Rim
Rocky Creek Ranch
Rough Hollow
Senna Hills
Seven Oaks
Spanish Oaks
Spillman Ranch/Falconhead
Sterling Acres
Stone Lake
Stonewater
Sunset Cove
The Canyon's at Lake Travis
The Hills
The Hollows
The Preserve at Barton Creek
The Preserve at Lakeway
Valley View Mobile Home park
Villages of New Sweden
Villages on Pearce Lane
Villa's at Flintrock - Lakeway
Villas at LakeCliff
Vistas at Lake Travis
Vistas at Lakeway
West Cypress Hills
West Cypress Ranch
Wolf Crossing
Woods of Greenshores

Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 AM

6 posts, read 17,847 times
Don't see Belterra on the list, am I overlooking it?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiegirl14 View Post
Don't see Belterra on the list, am I overlooking it?
Looks like it's listed as Bel Terra. Glad we don't have to deal with such matters. Good old 'city' natural gas for us, including the grill we haven't used in months.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
I would absolutely consider every cost to me when living somewhere.
This is so smart and seems so obvious, yet few buyers do it unless prompted to do so by friends or their agent. TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) can swing wildly for essentially the same age/style home in Austin, over just a few mile difference in distance.

If, as a buyer, you buy a home far out with high mileage commuting costs (especially if a toll is involved and when gas goes over $4/gal again), community propane (which is known to generate extremely high bills), HOA fees, and located in one of the higher property tax areas such as the 2.9% areas in Dripping (versus 1.82% in some Travis County areas), and you're buying that home because you think you're getting a "better price per square foot" or "more home for the money", you're making a mistake by failing to properly calculate the TCO of that home. I tell my buyers run, don't walk, away from those type of neighborhoods.

That said, we're having a buyer build one now in Lakeway because, after careful consideration and knowing all the facts, a decision was made that the pluses of the home and its location far outweighed the minuses. In other words, in informed, calculated decision instead of the surprise of not knowing anything about the risks of community propane.

There are end-user behavior modifications that can reduce the propane consumption, such as not using the gas log fireplace, helping the home stay warm in winter with effective use of air circulation with reverse ceiling fans, accepting a cooler setting as a lifestyle choice on the thermostat, using a programmable thermostat, more blankets on the bed, etc. The propane bill can be held at bay, but it requires diligent proactive awareness and action during the cold months.

Steve

Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 AM

11 posts, read 18,598 times
Default Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
This is why we were afraid to buy a home in Belterra where it seems all the houses use propane.
I have gas service with Texas Community Propane. It is INSANITY expensive when it comes to winter time. David weekly home is a good home builder and a lot of their focus is on energy efficiency. The do have great insulation on their home. However, propane is not regulated and it is very expensive.

I have a 1650SQ house. Must set up the temperature at 68 degree to manage the propane bill under $200.00 per month during winter time.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:25 PM

207 posts, read 858,459 times
Even though the majority of this thread is 3 years old, I couldn't be happier that when I bought a home 7 years ago it was in an all electric neighborhood. I actually had a contract on a home in a propane community and so glad that fell apart.

My electric bill for my 2300 sq.ft. home was $61 last month.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:40 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
I also have a 2300 sq ft home, and we have natural gas for cooking, hot water and heat. My natural gas bill last month was $20, and should stay down there all summer. In the winter, my husband needs the heat to be pretty high (around 76) and our heating costs peak at about $130 in the coldest months. With PEC, had an electric bill of $74. However, I am hoping that the next electric bill should go down just a bit next month, as I had an insulation make-over in my attic last month. Perhaps that will also help the heating (gas) bill to go down a bit next winter.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,913,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourbound129 View Post
Even though the majority of this thread is 3 years old, I couldn't be happier that when I bought a home 7 years ago it was in an all electric neighborhood. I actually had a contract on a home in a propane community and so glad that fell apart.

My electric bill for my 2300 sq.ft. home was $61 last month.
Just imagine if you had solar panels???

Years ago lived in Pfluggerville. One of the many things miss about Texas is the weather - lots of sunshine. A good investment to consider switching over to solar energy.

Now living in Long Island NY, definitely experience the four seasons. Summer months more sun, and winter months less sun. 2yrs ago installed solar panels, now at savings breakeven point what we paid for the installation. Electric bill last month = $10.92 (service charge??). Brighter and longer summertime days, meter running backwards.

See post - //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ng-charge.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin