Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 19,317 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone soo my wife and I have been reading post and doing alot of research on texas and really want to start the process of relocating there.. I've heard great and horrible stories about Texas so I need some advice.. We have 2 young kids and are going for #3.. I currently have a pizza restaurant out here thats filled with tv's, games and a great atmosphere and would love to open something very similar in Texas.. So were planning on selling our home and business, leaving our families and starting a new life for us, were both young 25 and 22 and love the idea of friendly people,manners and repect, its very hard to find that in california. Were looking at Georgetown, Cedar Park, Round Rock etc.. We want a good place to raise our family and start a business, if possible we would also like to be in a place that loves there high school football and are friendly and welcoming.. We could use all the advice we can as this is life changing not just for my wife and I but our kids as well.. Looking forward to all the replies both good and bad thank you.. Oh n im hoping to head out there in a month or two to look around, just looking for a good starting point.. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
Could you say a little as to why Texas or the suburbs of Austin in particular? You're very young to be making such adult decisions and leaving family so far behind. Life is toughest on young married couples with children who are literally growing up in their 20s along with their children. Your age group also happens to have among the highest divorce rates. My gut instinct tells me that leaving your extended family for different state and different culture..will be a major adjustment, highlighted even more by the absence of extended family.

I'll be blunt with you. I don't know what to say..I know what I want to say, but you probably won't like that. So, I think I will listen a little more as to the why..

Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Just off the top of my head, based on just this post, I'm thinking that Georgetown would be a good fit.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:43 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' Schmidts View Post
Hey everyone soo my wife and I have been reading post and doing alot of research on texas and really want to start the process of relocating there.. I've heard great and horrible stories about Texas so I need some advice.. We have 2 young kids and are going for #3.. I currently have a pizza restaurant out here thats filled with tv's, games and a great atmosphere and would love to open something very similar in Texas.. So were planning on selling our home and business, leaving our families and starting a new life for us, were both young 25 and 22 and love the idea of friendly people,manners and repect, its very hard to find that in california. Were looking at Georgetown, Cedar Park, Round Rock etc.. We want a good place to raise our family and start a business, if possible we would also like to be in a place that loves there high school football and are friendly and welcoming.. We could use all the advice we can as this is life changing not just for my wife and I but our kids as well.. Looking forward to all the replies both good and bad thank you.. Oh n im hoping to head out there in a month or two to look around, just looking for a good starting point.. thanks
I think any of those places would be ok. You might also look at lakeway.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 PM

I know on paper im young but im very mature, I've been running a very successful business for 4 years now.. My wife and I are very independant and being away for our families is actually a plus(as bad as that may sound).. Were really excited on the move and know we will be fine being away from family in our mid 20's married with 2 kids hopefully 3....

Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 PM

Thank you for the replies, I'll take a look at lakeway.. Does any of those cities need a great family pizzeria in town??

Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Thats the area that we felt from reading and researching that would be the best area.. Im open to hear any other suggestions. please do... want good schoods, nice area, friendly people, good place to open a family pizzeria. and geographically the austin area we found more appealing..

Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' Schmidts View Post
Thank you for the replies, I'll take a look at lakeway.. Does any of those cities need a great family pizzeria in town??
All of those towns need a great family pizzeria in town as long as it's good pizza. There are places like Gattiland geared towards kids, but the pizza isn't that great. While I think Georgetown, Cedar Park, and Round Rock would all probably be fine, I do think Cedar Park is the place that I would choose to open a business. It just seems like family restaurants do well there especially if you're anywhere close to the 1890 Ranch shopping center. Double Dave's gets a lot of the family pizza business in Cedar Park and it's not that great.

Now if someone could ever clone or franchise a Pizza Port (from SoCal) here in the Austin suburbs, it would do great. There just isn't much in the way of family pizza places with in-house microbrews. I'm originally from North County San Diego and we really like the Cedar Park/NW Round Rock area. You should check out the Moonie's Burger House in Cedar Park when you visit. The family that opened that place moved here from SoCal not too long ago and seemed to do everything right in my opinion. They have already expanded to three locations.

While I like Georgetown, you're really limited to just one high school for sports teams. Both Cedar Park and Round Rock have multiple high schools that could provide the type of business that you're looking for.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Do yourself a favor and move to the hill country, not the blackland prairie.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
Gattiland is big here and fairly cheap. You get a lot of the same games you do at a place like Austin Park N Pizza, but with better pizza and without the expensive price tag. While Gattis is definitely fast food level pizza, by my tastes it's a step up from a place like Chuck E Cheese or Austin Park N Pizza. They also offer a good salad bar.

I used to love local family pizza places when I lived in other states. I second the advice that if the pizza is good and it's not too pricey you would probably have an attractive business. I can't say we've found anything quite like that here. Mangia has great pizza, but I think they're focused more on the pizza end of things than the games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin