Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,454 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry to just ask for help straight from my very first post, but I'm really desperate at this point. I moved to Austin a couple of days ago after getting a job here. I really need a driver's license to get to work but haven't got one (only have a permit from PA). I need to take the driving test but I don't have a car and don't know anyone in Austin.

I've tried contacting a couple of driving schools but no luck. I have also tried going to the DPS office on S. Congress in hopes of finding someone there but no luck either.

If someone could help me out in any way, I'm willing to pay for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Call Austin Driving School. There should be no problem getting a response from them. They will pick you up from your house and there are different student driving levels: beginner, intermediate and experienced.
Austin Driving School (http://www.austindrivingschool.com/adultdrivereducation/behindthewheeldriving.html - broken link)
They take you through the whole process in addition to lessons or a road evaluation. The instructor takes you to DPS for the test, which you take in the instructor's vehicle. Call soon, as it may take a week or so to get on their schedule. We just completed this process and it was a smooth one.

Last edited by capcat; 03-11-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM

12 posts, read 31,361 times
Hey jcizzle, I don't know about the licsence thing but I had a few questions, How is Austin? what part did you move to? How was the move from pa to austin? Just was wondering since me and my family are looking to move to austin from pa. Any feedback would be nice. Also did you use any moving company or something like that?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcizzle View Post
I'm sorry to just ask for help straight from my very first post, but I'm really desperate at this point. I moved to Austin a couple of days ago after getting a job here. I really need a driver's license to get to work but haven't got one (only have a permit from PA). I need to take the driving test but I don't have a car and don't know anyone in Austin.

I've tried contacting a couple of driving schools but no luck. I have also tried going to the DPS office on S. Congress in hopes of finding someone there but no luck either.

If someone could help me out in any way, I'm willing to pay for the help.
Excuse me, but your PA drivers license is valid here in Texas. So you should be able to drive right now.

Yes, as a new resident you will have to get a Texas license before a certain time limit (check the DPS website to see wwhat that is).

Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Excuse me, but your PA drivers license is valid here in Texas. So you should be able to drive right now.

Yes, as a new resident you will have to get a Texas license before a certain time limit (check the DPS website to see wwhat that is).
Yep if its a license you have 90 days New Residents

Honestly I drove with an out of state license for over a year until it expired.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,621 times
He said he only has a permit from PA, not a DL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: