Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,325 times

Advertisements

Ive had just about enough of Chicago winters, and am looking for a new job so why not move to Austin?

A few questions I have:

1 - What can I expect to pay in rent? Specifically a 1 br, located in or near downtown?

2 - How is the public transportation? I live 5 miles from work now but just hop on the train and am there in 30 min. Is it as easy to get around in Austin?

3 - What is the job market like? Im an accountant, CPA, looking for a new gig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,792,973 times
I highly recommend that you find a job first before you move. I tried to relocate to Austin as well. Jobs are most definitely not that easy to come by in Austin for some reason.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,325 times
I am definitely not going to move without finding a job first...what is the best way of going about finding one?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM

844 posts, read 2,022,368 times
Quote:
Is it as easy to get around in Austin?
Nope

Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 AM

39 posts, read 96,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis03 View Post
I am definitely not going to move without finding a job first...what is the best way of going about finding one?
Try monster or careerbuilder. I have a personal friend who is a CPA. If you want to DM me, I can give you his contact info and you can pick his brain

Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM

239 posts, read 518,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis03 View Post
Ummm...if you don't know how, I'd suggest practicing at home first.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 AM

634 posts, read 1,449,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Nope
Public transportation in Austin, Texas's "greenest" town, S-U-C-K-S. Take it from someone who is dependent upon them for all forms of transport, not just a Flyer commuter. Capital Metro blows.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,453,735 times
No, it is not as easy to get around in Austin without a car, depending on where you live, of course. Some areas are quite walkable, others are not, and we have one rail line so if you live and work on it, you'd be okay, but that's counting on a lot. On the other hand, you can drive most (not all, but most) places within half an hour-45 minutes, rush hour excepted, of course.

I agree that you need to line up a job before moving here, but you're a CPA, you know that!

Downtown is going to be one of the more expensive places to rent if you're talking about right downtown. If I were you, I'd first find out where I'm going to work (interestingly enough, quite a lot of the businesses in Austin, including accounting and financial planning firms, are NOT downtown, as Austin is nowhere near as downtown-centric as many places are - it's a Texas thing, I guess, we've got elbow room and know how to use it.

You might find yourself living downtown and having to have a car to commute to your job that isn't downtown, and having to find parking in downtown for that car!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,792,973 times
I tried to find a job in Austin about a year and a half ago. I used all of the job sites including craigslist and a number of sites devoted to jobs in my field. I also applied directly to companies through their sites. Kind of a wakeup call. There is a LOT of competition for jobs in Austin. I had hardly any callbacks at all. It didn't help that I lived out of site. I also got a few headhunters working for me but the jobs they pulled up seemed to always be temp jobs or crappy barely starter level type gigs. I wound up getting a job here in Cali. I'm just saying- getting a job there is easier said than done. At least in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin