Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,362 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving out of Houston,TX soon and these are the 2 cities I am most interested in. I have a job in both locations and I will be going to community college ; the main purpose is to get something going musically and push it the furthest I can. While Austin seems like a great place for musicians, I don't know just how far you can actually get. LA seems to be a place where more attention is given, being able to acutally be sucessful in the music business as opposed to locally famous. Is this some facade I've built in my head or what? Anyone have advice or first hand experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,991 times
Sounds to me like L.A. would be a better fit career-wise. There are certainly more career opportunities in L.A. as well as more variety. A lot more competition of course, but that can be a good thing. Austin is VERY mom & pop when it comes to its music scene. Some people love that - others despise it.

I'm not sure if price or quality of life enters into that but obviously Austin is way cheaper.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM

73 posts, read 148,151 times
What kind of music are you playing? What venues? A violinist vs. a guitarist vs. a gospel singer would have very different career ambitions, and without more info, there's not much advice to give.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:31 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
What kind of music are you playing? What venues? A violinist vs. a guitarist vs. a gospel singer would have very different career ambitions, and without more info, there's not much advice to give.
Yes, I agree with ammonman - we need more information about what you're trying to do musically so we can give you the right advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: