Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM

62 posts, read 185,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianajoy View Post
I moved from NYC to SA less than 2 years ago, and the only way I've survived is by "escaping" to Austin at least once a month. It is very hard to fit in if you are liberal, educated, physically fit and non-Hispanic. All the Mexican food here is made with lard, and is disgusting. There is all of one vegetarian restaurant, which is actually quite good, but 1 in a city of 1.2 million is pretty pathetic. I can't wait to move to Austin this summer!!
Thank you for this tidbit. I do not eat pork of any kind, so this is truly helpful info. Is everything cooked w/ lard in Austin, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Austin is closer to San Antonio than NYC in not just distance. We have many similarities so moving here may not solve your problems.

And you think the Italian food up in NYC is any less fattening? I was surprised when I was up there and was checking the calories in things like calzones. High fat content too. Also, bagels are highly calorific. When I point these things out to NYers they usually say "Oh, I didn't think about that."

Also, the perineal favorite of NYers, take out Chinese food, is quite calorific and fatty. The fact is most of us could use some healthy cooking.

Sure enchiladas have fat but fajitas are usually made with lean steak meat and onions/peppers/tomatoes are always good antioxidants. Tortillas are less fatty than pizza dough.

Like I said before, it's about reorganizing your thought process.
Are there regular restaurants like Applebees, Olive Garden, etc?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taphest View Post
Are you being facetious?

Of course there are chain restaurants, although I can't for the life of me figure out who would want to eat at Applebees. Olive Garden is marginally better, but still.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Thank you for this tidbit. I do not eat pork of any kind, so this is truly helpful info. Is everything cooked w/ lard in Austin, too?
I'm sure if you're at an authentic taqueria they probably use lard, but most Mexican restaurants don't use it here.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Are you being facetious?

Of course there are chain restaurants, although I can't for the life of me figure out who would want to eat at Applebees. Olive Garden is marginally better, but still.
I live in Japan and there are no Applebees or Olive Garden restaurants here. Why would I assume they exist in Austin? Again, I've never been to Texas, therefore I have no idea what is offered there. Hence- the point behind this thread.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 29,396 times
If you don't eat pork (which I don't) and don't love beef at every meal (which I don't), the only option in SA would be a few chains--like Macaroni Grill, which really has gotten old! Austin has much better restaurants for semi-vegetarians or pescatarians, like me. I have actually had wonderful sushi somewhere in downtown Austin--can't remember the name but they had sushi happy hour specials and it was wonderful. Also in SA I have found one single chinese restaurant that isn't absolutely vile. There's nothing worse than vile chinese, imo! Compared to Sa, Austin is like a true metropolis! The only thing I can say about SA is it's been good for me professionally, but I've only made a few close friends here and there really isn't much that I'll miss! The food has really been a problem for me, as you can tell!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
1. What is a typical Texan like? Friendly. Mostly a live and let live mentality w/ a bunch of bitchin' and moanin' for the most part. And yes, I'm a native Texan.
2. How has Austin changed (good/bad) since people starting relocating there in the past 5 years or so? More crowded.
3. How's traffic? HORRIBLE! For a city the size of Austin, the road infrastructure is seriously inadequate.
4. Do you foresee Austin turning into the nightmare that metro Atlanta currently is with its growing population and lack of infrastructure to support such growth? Possible, but Austin's not there yet.
5. Is Austin a family-friendly environment? Super family-friendly.
6. I will conduct my own research on schools, but rate the educational system. 8.5/10
7. Compare Austin to San Antonio. Austin is smaller in scale, doesn't have pro sports team, housing is MUCH, MUCH more expensive, better schools, lower crime, more red tape & B.S., harder to find good VA health care options (not hard, but not as easy as SA)
8. What's the weather like? Can you say Awesome?! Harsh winter temps are from late Dec. to late Jan on avg. Can usually play golf 45-48 wks/yr.
9. If you are a transplant, how are you treated by Austin natives?
10. If you are a native, how do you feel about all of these transplants invading your city? Welcome! Please drop off your tax check down at city hall! LOL!
11. Is there a substantial number of military retirees living in the Austin area? YES.
12. Is the Texan culture (whatever it is) adaptable? Absolutely.
13. Do North-easterners adapt well to living in Austin? If you can adapt to NOT shoveling snow, and staying cool in the summer...then you bet.
14. Is Austin a diversity-friendly environment? Yes.
15. What's the number one reason people leave the area? New job(s).
16. What are the hot jobs/ career fields? Tech., consulting, lobbying, environmental

Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 PM

370 posts, read 999,122 times
Quote:
Yes, but after you sample some local restaurants, you won't want
to eat there anymore. Those places cost more, and arent as good

Don't know how a place like TGIFs survives here

Chuy's, Rudys, Texas Roadhouse ......

Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I'm not like a lard eating fool or anything, but I've actually been reading and hearing lots of new opinions and studies stating that lard isn't really as bad as it's made out to be and that it's actually healthier than certain oils that are sold in stores (vegetable or corn oils), especially if it comes from animals who are fed a grass diet/not fed hormones, etc...

As far as answers to your questions, I'll go with what everyone else posted. I don't really agree with dianajoys points, but that's her experience. As for chain restaurants, we don't try and frequent them as there are so many really good mom and pop places, but Texas IS a state in the US and therefore has many of the things you might find in other States

I think the reason Californians have an easier time adjusting to Texas is because of a sort of shared Western heritage (?). There is a shared Mexican influence as well. The NorthEast is a whole other animal, with a different heritage/history/culture. I have quite a few friends here that are from NY and they do just fine, as do my friends from other Northeastern States. One of my best friends lives in Brooklyn, but thinks Mexican food in Austin and San Antonio is the best ever and even her "never been to the South" husband loves it.

Austin and San Antonio are both very family friendly. It's very hard to get bored here.

Yes, there are lots of retired military here.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,755 times
I lived in austin for a year ! whomever said austin weather is awesome..is crazy. There are 2 seasons...hot and hotter. It is very humid there and constantly things blooming...its common for people to take inhalers and allergy medicine daily . Also it is super buggy. Make sure you get on the spray list. Also, anyone born or raised in texas speaks english..so dont let that no hablo english fool you ! People are laid back. Texans do not tolerate honking of car horns or road rage....they are courteous drivers and will allow you into traffic but than you are to resume the fast pace.... I35..everything is off of this huge highway...you will be doing a lot of turnarounds there until you get comfortable with everything. down town area there are a lot of one ways-people-traffic and stop light at every corner it seems... overall people are friendly....to me there seemed to be a lot of homeless people there. Best BBQ is Rudy's. san antonio is a short distance away and worth the trip. if your a drinker- you'll love it there..tons of pubs and garage bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin