Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Yes we play Basketball Saturday Mornings and Sunday afternoons year round and Wednesday after work when school is out. During the school year I rent the Gym at CRMS wednesday noghts

As for the community pool and Nature trails in River Place...the Country Club is available for $100 or so per month and there is a huge Nature trail in the entire Panther Hollow stretching 5+ miles!

Find the house you want and your suroundings will be just fine!
Steiner Ranch's TOTAL HOA fees are less than $100 a month - and that includes 3 pools, 12 playgrounds, 3 community centers, basketball courts, tennis courts, 18 miles of trails, and trash pick-up. $100 a month just for the pool seems a little steep.

And I considered mentioning Jester, but the fact that it is in Austin ISD was a deal breaker when we were looking at houses. It is zoned to some of the better schools, but is still not immune to the inefficient nightmare that is AISD. And I still think the best AISD schools are still not as good as those outside the city - and the ratings reflect that. ALL of Steiner's (and Riverplace's) schools - elementary, middle, and high school are rated exemplary for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 05:40 PM

33 posts, read 81,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Yes we play Basketball Saturday Mornings and Sunday afternoons year round and Wednesday after work when school is out. During the school year I rent the Gym at CRMS wednesday noghts

As for the community pool and Nature trails in River Place...the Country Club is available for $100 or so per month and there is a huge Nature trail in the entire Panther Hollow stretching 5+ miles!

Find the house you want and your suroundings will be just fine!
Wow - this is great to hear! I just got the answer to a question I didn't ask! I am a very avid b ball player and one of the things that I'm going to miss most about leaving NJ is that I'm walking away from a great competitive weekly basketball game that I've been playing in for years...

Are these games you speak of pickup or actual leagues? What's the talent level? I am good for a recreational player but not great - was a good high school player but not good enough to play college ball. Would I fit in?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
What is your budget and where are you commuting - downtown or Research Blvd? If you will be working downtown and have the money, I would definitely check out Lost Creek. If you will be commuting to Research, you may also want to check out Canyon Creek.

I'm actually taking a job for an NYC-based company that will have me opening an office in Austin - I'm pretty much choosing where to put the office now - trying to decide between River Place corporate park or something on research blvd...

Money-wise I'll prob rent for a year to be sure we are where we want to be - would like to keep the home at 350k or under so I can also afford a vacation home by the beach somewhere - that's one of the reasons that we are leaving the NYC area

Is $350k (or even $300k) doable for a nice 4br, 2500sf home in River Place or Canyon Creek?

I don't really mind the association fees, etc. I am moving from north Jersey - I pay $300 a month for dry cleaning here! lol

Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russreign View Post
I'm actually taking a job for an NYC-based company that will have me opening an office in Austin - I'm pretty much choosing where to put the office now - trying to decide between River Place corporate park or something on research blvd...

Money-wise I'll prob rent for a year to be sure we are where we want to be - would like to keep the home at 350k or under so I can also afford a vacation home by the beach somewhere - that's one of the reasons that we are leaving the NYC area

Is $350k (or even $300k) doable for a nice 4br, 2500sf home in River Place or Canyon Creek?

I don't really mind the association fees, etc. I am moving from north Jersey - I pay $300 a month for dry cleaning here! lol
I think $350k can probably get you a 4br in RP but it may be an older (7- 10 years old) house. You can definitely get something good for $350k in Canyon Creek, as you can in Steiner.

RP is more geared towards adults while SR and CC are more geared towards children, and with your interest in b-ball you will absolutely LOVE RP and their outdoor basketball league. Weird how I mentioned it as a sidebar and it happened to be a main interest of yours.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think $350k can probably get you a 4br in RP but it may be an older (7- 10 years old) house. You can definitely get something good for $350k in Canyon Creek, as you can in Steiner.

RP is more geared towards adults while SR and CC are more geared towards children, and with your interest in b-ball you will absolutely LOVE RP and their outdoor basketball league. Weird how I mentioned it as a sidebar and it happened to be a main interest of yours.
I agree with cBach. 350K will be at the lowest (cheapest) end in RP & middle range in CC & Steiner.

A couple of other thoughts regarding this thread:

- I love the trail in RP. Have walked it often.
- I love the golf course & tennis in RP. If you play either then you'll be joining.
- If the kids are more ES age...then CC or Steiner may be a better fit.
- Many don't know this, but part of Canyon Creek actually feeds into 4 Points MS & Vandegrift. (basically about 15%....the furthest west)
- If you're renting, you'll figure out where you (or your wife ) wants to live...main thing to consider is the schools....you don't want them starting in one district or school path & then yank them out a year later & starting over in another one with friends etc.
- All 3 areas are great....just need to consider your personal pros & cons of each.

Do any of your kids play tennis?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 AM

239 posts, read 518,170 times
Quote:

I love RP, great area and a good time to buy there, 350k is entry level...but can be done in the current market...look at Zillow or Trulia for a general idea of pricing. And, I can't recall where, but I recently read that the average salary for 78730 was 204k. It's a great area....love it, love it.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree with cBach. 350K will be at the lowest (cheapest) end in RP & middle range in CC & Steiner.

A couple of other thoughts regarding this thread:

- I love the trail in RP. Have walked it often.
- I love the golf course & tennis in RP. If you play either then you'll be joining.
- If the kids are more ES age...then CC or Steiner may be a better fit.
- Many don't know this, but part of Canyon Creek actually feeds into 4 Points MS & Vandegrift. (basically about 15%....the furthest west)
- If you're renting, you'll figure out where you (or your wife ) wants to live...main thing to consider is the schools....you don't want them starting in one district or school path & then yank them out a year later & starting over in another one with friends etc.
- All 3 areas are great....just need to consider your personal pros & cons of each.

Do any of your kids play tennis?
Don't have kids yet, but we will be trying soon

Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Don't have kids yet, but we will be trying soon
Practice makes perfect

Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Quote:
Are these games you speak of pickup or actual leagues? What's the talent level? I am good for a recreational player but not great - was a good high school player but not good enough to play college ball. Would I fit in?
Perfectly!
We play pickup so you get to play with different guys every week ages are 16-70 and you'll see guys that are 5'8" and 6'8" so a fun and diverse group of like minded hoopsters.
Send me an email/PM when you get down here! You don't have to live anywhere perticular to come out and play! you just have to have a good attitude and want to have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin