Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times

Advertisements

There's a difference between "warm" and "hot". Honestly, after having spent a week in sacramento in 100+ degree heat, I'm not sure how some of you people in Austin could remotely find that kind of heat even slightly enjoyable. It was seriously like walking around in a bread oven. That alone is probably my single biggest reservation about possibly moving there. I grew up in TN so I can deal with hot and humid weather. But once we're talking 90+ degree heat then that's a whole different situation. I like being outside and at that temp it becomes almost unbearable. Here in the Bay Area we don't even think about it. Its usually 70 degrees. In other words- not too hot and not too cold. Its just right. Moving somewhere that gets HOT is going to be a huge change.

There are a lot of other Southern cities that have warmer weather but not blast furnace hot either. Its just that Austin has more jobs in my field. Other then that the major draw for me is the housing prices. Otherwise I'd probably move somewhere like Asheville, NC or maybe even Nashville TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 PM

14 posts, read 63,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
There's a difference between "warm" and "hot". Honestly, after having spent a week in sacramento in 100+ degree heat, I'm not sure how some of you people in Austin could remotely find that kind of heat even slightly enjoyable. It was seriously like walking around in a bread oven. That alone is probably my single biggest reservation about possibly moving there. I grew up in TN so I can deal with hot and humid weather. But once we're talking 90+ degree heat then that's a whole different situation. I like being outside and at that temp it becomes almost unbearable. Here in the Bay Area we don't even think about it. Its usually 70 degrees. In other words- not too hot and not too cold. Its just right. Moving somewhere that gets HOT is going to be a huge change.

There are a lot of other Southern cities that have warmer weather but not blast furnace hot either. Its just that Austin has more jobs in my field. Other then that the major draw for me is the housing prices. Otherwise I'd probably move somewhere like Asheville, NC or maybe even Nashville TN.
Like any adopted Texan, you will get used to it. Trust me, I have plenty of friends who have moved here from California, and they only complained about the heat during their first summer. With good air conditioning, you will learn to take the heat in stride. Besides, we have plenty of beautiful water reserves like Barton Springs to play in when it gets too hot. If you have never been there, look it up.

The weather doesn't hold a candle to California, but it's still lovely during fall, spring, and most of winter. I would choose hot summers over brutal winters any day.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM

172 posts, read 516,060 times
Trust me, if you didn't like Sac., Austin will feel more oppressively hot for a longer period of time. It's a humid heat, doesn't really cool down at night, and lasts a long time. Sac. cools down at night, Austin stays relatively warm. During the summer, unless you are awake at 5am, it will be unpleasantly warm most of the time. Some people like it, some people run at 5pm in 100 degree weather, but coming from the Bay Area where 80 is warm, you're probably going to find it HOT.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,462 times
Thanks for all of your replies. But, maybe I need to clarify a few points so you can help me better.
1. We are moving to Austin not only because of what we have "heard" or researched. My husband has a job offer there and given the circumstances that we prefer HOT rather than COLD (and other reasons), we think we would be better there. Plus, having two small children in cold weather is not fun during a long winter, speacially when you love outdooors. We actually had the choice to move to LA, but is too expensive for our budget.
2. About being liberal it's not because my political views, it's more about our lifestyle. I would like to be in an "open minded" neighborhood.
So now, with that being said, which are the best neighborhoods that can adjust to our profile?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeb View Post
Oh, without a doubt, SF has better weather than Austin. It is California. But she wanted warmer, haha, and it doesn't get much warmer than Austin.
the "$1600/mo" requirement kinda eliminates SF as an option, doesn't it?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 PM

390 posts, read 671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Its a good thing that you're going to rent first because unbeknown to a lot of people, Austin does in fact get cold weather in the winter- that and extremely hot weather in the summer. Moving to an area because " You've heard" things about it versus living there are 2 totally different things.

It sounds like they are moving here because the OP's husband has a job here, not just because they heard it was liberal.

I lived in DC a couple of years right out of college. Winters are much colder there. I'm only in my first year of living here, but I wouldn't say that it was very cold here this winter at all. We've had a few cold days, but it was back in the 60's within a couple of days. It's cold for months on end in DC. Summers are also a bear in DC with the humidity.

OP...we are about as liberal as it come and are happy here. I really like the Barton Hills and Bouldin neighborhoods, if you want to be central, but you might want to see what happens with Zilker and Barton Hills Elementary schools (they are talking about closing them).

Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM

156 posts, read 331,291 times
Where is your husband's job? Downtown or north or south?

I ask this because it seems the #1 factor for people's residential locations in Austin is the commute, it seems to be a major determinant of your quality of life. Austin's traffic has gotten pretty bad (especially over the last 10 years).

If he's working north, I suggest looking into central neighborhoods north of downtown. It's hard to get into the core part of central Austin with a $1600/month budget (for a single family home). If you're willing to look into duplexes, Hyde Park would be a great choice. If you want strictly a single family home, try Allandale/Crestview/Brentwood. Older homes in established neighborhoods that are transitioning. There's a good mix of people of all types in these neighborhoods.

If your husband's job is south of downtown or downtown itself, look into south Austin. Travis Heights, Zilker. I'm not as familiar with the going rates on rentals in these neighborhoods (I live north), but I think you would enjoy the urban lifestyle of that part of town.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM

113 posts, read 371,511 times
We too are moving to the area this year, looking for similar lifestyle. I don't know much about north of downtown since we are concentrating on south, but I thought I'd recommend 78704 neighborhoods. Zilker is a great neighborhood with (now) a good school, but the district is threatening to close it. Bouldin Creek is another great area, and the school, Becker is very diverse and has a Spanish immersion program. I think you might be able to find something in your budget there but don't expect something terrific for that price. Central Austin is pricey! There seem to be very few urban, walkable, cool neighborhoods (compared to other cities about the same size that didn't do so much of its growing in the last 30 years) so they are priced accordingly. Best of luck to you! I think you'll like it. We are really excited about it!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
I haven't lived in Austin for 4 years, but I think you should be able to find rentals in your price range in North Campus and Hyde Park. Downtown is biking distance from there, and the bus is also practical. Austin also has the nicest suburbs and surrounding small towns I've ever seen.
Here's a house for $1300 http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/2218142481.html (broken link)
$1200 http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/2218129716.html

Just move, you'll like it. Even if you don't like it, you'll still be better off than you are right now in dirty, crime ridden, cold DC.

I'm from the Caribbean too (Trinidad). I lived in Houston, Austin (went to UT), and now I live in Hawaii. The best place to live has been Austin and I'd move back if I could find a job.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 02-16-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
I guess I can't help but read this and wonder- what does it mean to move to a "liberal" place? I've lived in both "extremes". I was born and raised in the rural South. I later lived in the East Coast and now San Francisco. In each instance I've always found people who were of all different backgrounds and opinion. I've also found that both liberal and conservative people are in many instances equally closed minded. In other words- if you don't think like them then you are wrong in their minds. Trying to move to an exclusively liberal or conservative area to me seems like a lost cause because people are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin