Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM

156 posts, read 300,258 times

Advertisements

So we are T - 7 days before our visit to Austin to scope out commutes and neighborhoods. We have all the addresses and such programmed into the Garmin (so I over prepare a little). As many here remember I am looking at taking a job with the IRS (35 and Ben White) but my wife is in the IT field and figures she will get a job in North Austin.

Well today I get an email from the guy who was hiring me at IRS and had moved on to a higher position at another govt agency. He wants to bring me on there and I will get to work from anywhere in the country I want from home. Probally for more $$ as well

So we are still thinking Austin but now we have 6 days to figure out what parts of Austin to live if I didn't have to worry about driving south and my wife only has to drive north. She only plans on working till the mortgage is paid off (8~10 year max) and I have another 20 to go before I plan on retiring at 62. Wife won't start looking for a job till we have a move date (looking to be at the end of summer now at the earliest) but is fine with a 30/45 minute commute

No kids but 2 dogs, active so we want walking trails/biking paths

Requirements - newer house or one that has be renovated, stay under 300k (lower the better but have lots of upward flexibilty), 3 car garage or an HOA that won't complain about 4 cars, and she wants to be near the lake.

We have thought about buying a smaller house and then a condo by the lake for weekends/retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
4 cars, why? Probably hard to find 300K with a 3 car garage unless you go to Round Rock or Pflugerville. You won't find that in Austin proper.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
4 cars, why? Probably hard to find 300K with a 3 car garage unless you go to Round Rock or Pflugerville. You won't find that in Austin proper.
We have a car and an older SUV, plus we have a Jeep for cruising and slight off-roading. I want to add a 2nd older Jeep to build as more of an off-road only buggy. I am OK with 2 cars garage as long as they fit 2 cars and the HOA doesn't have an issue with a cars on the street.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
My advice is to not immediately buy a house the second you get to Austin. Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Rent for awhile and get familiar with the area. Swooping down and trying to find a place to permanently live in 6 days isn't realistic. Besides- it sounds like this will be a permanent house to live in. Take your time. Its "only" the single largest financial decision you'll ever make...

Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
4 cars, why?
Why not? I have owned 3 cars at a time on a few occasions. Only two right now. I could see myself having six or more in the future if I am ever able to build the facilities for them.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:29 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
gcrissman.....since IRS is off the table & the wife would likely work near RR (& schools aren't an issue).....then i would:

- Definitely rent for 6 mos. to a year.
- Look for rentals within a 15 - 20 min. commute of RR.
- I would use the Toll Road 45/RR620 as your east west commute & look on either side of this artery all the way from RM 2222 as your western boundary all the way to Toll 130 on the east.
- Towns would include P'ville, Hutto, RR, CP, N Austin & NW Austin....even Gtown (10 miles north of RR) would be in the mix. Schools don't matter....just find an area, house & neighborhood that fits your short term needs.

A huge swath of land & neighborhoods to look at....with i'm sure dozens (hundreds?) of rentals to choose from that might meet your criteria. Then spend 6 mos. looking at all the areas (while your wife gets a job...then you'll know where she works).

Trust me.....your number one choce at the end of your 2 day visit next week probably wouldn't be your number one choice after looking for 6 mos. It wasn't for me.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM

We are going to rent for the first year at least. I don't think it's a good idea to move and buy right away, I don't want to have to sell again because I rushed to buy a house and then didn't like the location, city, or job.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Why not? I have owned 3 cars at a time on a few occasions. Only two right now. I could see myself having six or more in the future if I am ever able to build the facilities for them.
4 is our limit, it think. I would like an ATV as well but the Jeeps will be fine. I'd like to be able to build a second garage with a lift, as I get older crawling under cars is not as fun. At least with the Jeeps they are lifted and have bigger tires so there is more clearance.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM

172 posts, read 410,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
gcrissman.....since IRS is off the table & the wife would likely work near RR (& schools aren't an issue).....then i would:

- Definitely rent for 6 mos. to a year.
- Look for rentals within a 15 - 20 min. commute of RR.
- I would use the Toll Road 45/RR620 as your east west commute & look on either side of this artery all the way from RM 2222 as your western boundary all the way to Toll 130 on the east.
- Towns would include P'ville, Hutto, RR, CP, N Austin & NW Austin....even Gtown (10 miles north of RR) would be in the mix. Schools don't matter....just find an area, house & neighborhood that fits your short term needs.

A huge swath of land & neighborhoods to look at....with i'm sure dozens (hundreds?) of rentals to choose from that might meet your criteria. Then spend 6 mos. looking at all the areas (while your wife gets a job...then you'll know where she works).

Trust me.....your number one choce at the end of your 2 day visit next week probably wouldn't be your number one choice after looking for 6 mos. It wasn't for me.

Good luck.
Could not have said it better myself. I chose northwest when we came to visit. Now that we have lived here for almost 2 years we know that south west is right for us. Had we bought before we moved here we would have bought in Steiner and I would have been miserable with my commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin