Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

Hehe....we don't have big enough kids to help yet, but boy, do I have plans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 PM

37 posts, read 128,244 times
You are all too funny! I know I would be one throwing laundry downstairs all the time if our laundry room was down there. Why carry it all down when it is so much easier and faster to just toss it!

I can just imagine the fun the kids have knowing mom and dad's room is downstairs and they can't see what they are doing upstairs. Oh the messes that are in my future! I have noticed the open second story floor plans and had the same concerns you mentioned mom0f2. My son is a climber and a wild little man and I would freak out every time I saw him near the railing. Wouldn't dare leave him alone upstairs until he was a lot older. I'd rather have the open space downstairs also.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
It is so fun and entertaining to have kids. They keep ya on your toes 24/7. My youngest is the one I have to watch. It's a girl but she is tough and has no fear. She would climb up about 6-8 steps then all of a sudden turn and say "catch me" as she jumped at me. I don't know what all I have dropped and broken or spilt but she is a mess. They like trying to sneak food/snacks upstairs. But I always catch them. We had someone come out and look at putting up security camaras and they did do it at our business properties. But my kids don't know that . They really believe that we have them all over the house. I am so bad. Now for that GPS for the cars that I can somehow attach to the bumper when her dates show up in the years to come. Or better yet, I'll just sew it into her clothes. hehehehe

I have seen houses that had 2 laundry rooms. One general laundry room and then one somewhere in the master suite either the bathroom or closet. I have also seen where there is just one but it had 2 doors and one door was to the master closet/bath. Now THAT I like. No more running across the house checking the windows as you run past to retrieve clothes from the dryer in your birthday suit.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Our master in the new house is downstairs as well as another room and the laundry room is downstairs too. We don't have a gameroom that is open to the family room downstairs. Since me and the kids are competitive ballroom dancers we have a game room upstairs that is next to the ballroom. Neither of these rooms are open to the downstairs. We also have a media room upstairs that is pretty much closed off to itself. Yes, it is mostly custom. It is a production home, but semi-custom and after it is complely finished we are going to tweak it out with after-market stuff you either can't get from the builder or the builder offers it but it is not exactly what we want or the builder would charge an arm and a leg for it. A good example is my flooring. I am just having the builder carpet the whole place throughout. As soon as it closes escrow I am going to have the carpet taken out and donate it to Habitat for Humanity. I am having my own flooring put in because it was cheaper to have it done through someone other than the builder - who wanted an arm and a leg!

Get ready for me y'all!!! I'm gonna be a Texan the first week of October!!!!!

Old 08-25-2006, 02:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
The Media Room is THE BEST place in the house for the kids to sleep for slumber parties. NO LIE!!! I was very hestitant at first to allow 10 girls that were 8 years old to sleep in there hoping they would not be dancing around or doing flips and hit the screen and tear it or something. But w/ those dark walls (a Ralph Lauren burgandy color), no windows, totally insulated..... it was PERFECT!!! Why? Because my kids are not the ones that get up at the first sight of some hint of light outside, whew. Neither are us parents. So I am not a fan of kids spending the night that get up on the weekends at 6 or 7 and wake everyone else up the minute they see light. In the media room I had to go wake them up . Ahhh, that's what this room is really for. LOL!!

Old 08-25-2006, 03:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Get one of those remote controlled screens that comes down and rolls back up into the ceiling. I think that's what we're getting. Not sure though. Heck, half the time I don't know whether I'm coming or going!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: