Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Btw, the line does not run under anything. It is a wide easement that runs from Houston to El Paso without any construction on it.
Really?

What about the Alamo Drafthouse they keep telling everyone that they are going to build?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
There are no buildings on top of natural gas or gasoline pipelines. They may run through the property, I don't know, but you can't build on top of them - mainly because you cannot repair them if you need to. There are natural gas 'pipelines' (albeit a bit smaller) running to every house in my neighborhood, pretty much .

As for the depth, have you ever tried to dig ten feet down in this area . Anyway, the pipeline is contained in a cement 'box' in this area of town, which prevents accidentally hitting it with digging equipment and minimized losses to the soil if there is a leak. It is probably less than 10 feet, but more like 8, I would guess? I really don't know how deep. You can never stop intentional vandalism...these lines cross over creeks/rivers above the water. I am sure you could take a rifle to them if you were trying to enter the Darwin Awards.....

Quote:
What about the Alamo Drafthouse they keep telling everyone that they are going to build?
I can - and have - stood on the LH Pipeline and looked off to the 'horizon' in both directions. It is on the other side of Slaughter from the proposed ADH. By law (and common sense) you do not build on a pipeline.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post
i always wondered. how deep down are these pipelines generally? they cant be less than 10 feet right? if that was the case than your avearge joe with a lot of time on his hands could dig down and intentionally damage the pipe line.

You mean like the vandals last year that ruined the drinking water for a quarter of the city by simply removing a manhole cover and dumping debris into it.....right next to that pipeline:

Blocked sewage line in Southwest Austin imperiling Barton Springs water

It doesn't sound very difficult does it?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Frankly, I can think of MUCH much worse things to do to this country's infrastructure. It is sobering to think of the damage that an individual or group can do. The pipeline would be nothing compared to some other acts of 'vandalism'. I don't really want to be FBI tagged, so I won't give any examples .

Edit: I am a bit confused after reading the article:
Quote:
You mean like the vandals last year that ruined the drinking water for a quarter of the city by simply removing a manhole cover and dumping debris into it
From the article:
Quote:
people who use private wells for drinking water and who live in the area between MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1) and Manchaca Road and the Shady Hollow community and Barton Springs Road to boil their water for the time being
Quote:
there are only a few wells that could be affected.
So, the water is not ruined (not like arsenic put in it), it simply needed boiling, and only a few wells could be affected?

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 02-22-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM

302 posts, read 690,588 times
Is it just me, or are there now three threads going on about the pipeline? And in all a certain someone's spreading "helpful" information about it??? (NOTE: please note the sarcasm in "helpful")

Community Impact had an article about this last year.

http://impactnews.com/southwest-austin/139-inside-information/9456-houston-to-el-paso-pipeline

This pipeline goes through multiple neighborhoods. However, based on the map they show, it's pretty much across Slaughter lane. Regardless, it is used for refined diesel fuel. Where'd the "jet fuel" thing come from? Seriously...

Also, they're looking into converting it back to crude, prob due to liability issues, since this thing goes through many, many neighborhoods.

And yes, they can build "some" stuff on top. Ex. Parking lots & roads. Pretty much ridiculous to think otherwise.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
About 40 years ago the big natural gas pipeline that flows through SE Austin over by the Elroy Road leaked a cloud of gas early one morning. The low-lying area right on the north side of the present F1 track location exploded in a massive fireball oveer several acres when a couple vehicles drove into it, killing 3 or 4 occupants.
It was quite a blaze. You can see the large pipeline "valve" above ground on 973 just north of 812.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 AM

522 posts, read 657,623 times
The simple fact is that pipelines exist, and they carry a large proportion of the nation's fuel oil, gasoline, natural gas, and other liquids (or gases under pressure). Unless someone has come up with a better and safer way to do that, I'm not sure that we want to start shutting them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin