Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM

171 posts, read 420,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Austin is Travis County, but yes, Williamson County is out of control. Round Rock and Leander are in Williamson County. Austin police aren't that bad, it's just the Williamson County ones that are.
They're so out of control that WilCo has the lowest crime rate of any highly-populated county in Texas.

They're so out of control that a number of us moved to WilCo after we had children, because we want them to be brought up in a safe environment.

They're so out of control that I go shooting with a few WilCo cops on a regular basis, just to make sure that I can out-shoot them. (And I apparently need more practice.)

Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,969,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
You know they don't just write tickets. Hell, they'll die for you.

Gunman threatened family before killing Johnson County deputy | Crime and Safety | News ... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/04/24/3022947/gunman-threatened-family-before.html - broken link)

Fallen Officers In Texas (http://www.odmp.org/browse.php?abbr=TX - broken link)
Couldn't have said it better, Nighthawk....here's another recent one, and three who were my personal friends.

Deputy Sheriff Sherri Jones | Bowie County Sheriff's Department, Texas

And my friends:
Trooper James Scott Burns | Texas Department of Public Safety - Texas Highway Patrol, Texas
Game Warden Justin Hurst | Texas Parks and Wildlife Department - Law Enforcement Division, Texas
Deputy Sheriff Michael Page | Bowie County Sheriff's Department, Texas

Nothing gets under my skin like someone complaining about police. Until you walk in their shoes (which the complainers are scared to do!), shut up!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM

268 posts, read 390,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Your location apparently reflects where you are coming from.

Some cops make mistakes, but don't paint with such a broad brush.

There's a reason Round Rock is one of the safest cities in America, and we like it that way.

Don't want to get busted, don't break the law.
Don't hate on all the cops, they are just doing their job.
Don't like the law, vote for somebody else to change it.
Don't like the election results, move somewhere else where your views predominate.

Really? Here’s a story for you. I was driving through Round Rock last summer and pulled over. I looked down at my speedometer and wondered what I had done. My truck was searched and they found something that was perfectly legal to possess. I won’t get into detail. The next thing I knew I was in the back seat of a squad car, my wife was on her knees, cuffed and the arresting officer / Gestapo member was yelling at her “ your husband can’t carry that around.” (A hole) Long story short, the case was quickly thrown out but not before spending a day in the Williamson County Gulags.

As far as traffic tickets go I don’t give them the opportunity. I know it’s mostly about generating revenue. Cross that yellow line and you will pay dearly.
Here in Cedar Park it is not unusual to see two of three cops at an intersection, look up and you see multiple cameras. It’s creepy.

The divorce rate among Police is far above other professions due to infidelity. Do a Google search and see for your self.

Out of control ? I’d say so.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM

399 posts, read 1,797,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
My truck was searched and they found something that was perfectly legal to possess. I won’t get into detail.
It's hard to understand your story if we don't know what the object was.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM

It’s trivalent. The point being the arresting officer was out of control AND ignorant of the law. The magistrate quickly dismissed the case. It’s all on public record, I just don’t want to get into it.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM

399 posts, read 1,797,626 times
It certainly does sound out of control. But I can imagine many objects which, while legal to possess, could understandably evoke such a response from an officer. If for example he saw pictures of his wife in the back seat of your car...

Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 AM

We digress.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM

110 posts, read 245,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
Really? Here’s a story for you. I was driving through Round Rock last summer and pulled over. I looked down at my speedometer and wondered what I had done. My truck was searched and they found something that was perfectly legal to possess. I won’t get into detail. The next thing I knew I was in the back seat of a squad car, my wife was on her knees, cuffed and the arresting officer / Gestapo member was yelling at her “ your husband can’t carry that around.” (A hole) Long story short, the case was quickly thrown out but not before spending a day in the Williamson County Gulags.

As far as traffic tickets go I don’t give them the opportunity. I know it’s mostly about generating revenue. Cross that yellow line and you will pay dearly.
Here in Cedar Park it is not unusual to see two of three cops at an intersection, look up and you see multiple cameras. It’s creepy.

The divorce rate among Police is far above other professions due to infidelity. Do a Google search and see for your self.

Out of control ? I’d say so.
This post and verbal conversations with like minded people like yourself are what I personally like to use to gauge modern officer professionalism and you let me know that myself and my comrades are doing a fine job. My rational is this. If this were in fact some place like Warsaw Poland in the early 1940's and the police really were the Gestapo, you and people like yourself would be far too afraid to say, write or communicate in any way form or fashion your dislike or disapproval. You wouldn't because you would be brutally beaten and then executed in the street.

However this is not the case. You can pretty much say anything you please to a police officer to their face and there is no danger that you will be dragged into the street and shot. You can you tube a thousand videos of police working and there are people standing by filming them and shouting things you wouldn’t want your kids to hear. Do you think that is the case everywhere? Do you really think that everyone in this world enjoys that freedom?

You were stopped, you did not list what the infraction was and you would not even go into detail about what the officer found.

Officers make stops and searches all the time. Its how they find drugs, kidnapped children, wanted criminals, stolen guns and a hundred other things that our society has deemed unwholesome.

Also statistics can be made up to prove a point. Google it.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM

171 posts, read 420,824 times
The divorce rate among police officers is nothing compared to that of soldiers.

The suicide rate among dentists is extremely high.

Perhaps the stresses of dealing with a public that is not happy to see them (and calls them things like 'gestapo') is a bigger factor than "they're all jerks".

Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 13,171,717 times
A handful of anecdotes do not an "out of control" police/sheriff department make.

If so, YOU the entire general public are in a state of total anarchy.

See what I'm sayin'?

Nighthawks pretty much nailed it with his assessment of the misuse of the "Gestapo" label. Godwin's Law has spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin