Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I'll make an agreement with you two. Stop making derogatory remarks about other parts of town south of the river, and I'll stop pointing out the inconvenient truths about yours. This has been going on a while, and it's been pretty much myself against a half dozen of you guys. Have I gone overboard? A few times, but it's necessary to give the dialogue a much needed balance that didn't exist before.
To me that sounds like you are saying: "If you stop telling the truth about South Austin I will stop lying about Circle C".

Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

You have told lie after lie about Circle C, what kind of balance is that? 9 times out of 10 you are the one initiating the negative comments. I have no confidence in your ability to restrain yourself.

And it would be a disservice to newcomers to Austin to let them think that every part of Austin is just peachy, when its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 AM

554 posts, read 1,745,703 times
Judging by the amount of traffic on 183 in NW Austin this morning nobody would ever guess that the average gas price is $3.19 in this part of town. It seemed worse than most Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
Personally, I love the Prius we have. Gas mileage is awesome, interior is small, but it's good enough for a family of 4. It definitely does not feel like the Civic we used to have, which was t-i-n-y.

Once the Prius V comes out (the hatchback version, anyway), I will seriously consider replacing our old SUV.

Wish there were a minivan with good gas mileage (40+ mpg). If there were, that sucker would sell like crazy. No idea why there isn't one out there already.
Look for the Ford Cmax later this year

Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
Judging by the amount of traffic on 183 in NW Austin this morning nobody would ever guess that the average gas price is $3.19 in this part of town. It seemed worse than most Mondays.
Do you expect people to not go to work?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,374 times
Quote:
Judging by the amount of traffic on 183 in NW Austin this morning nobody would ever guess that the average gas price is $3.19 in this part of town.
It's still bad, and it's 9:30...
Attached Thumbnails
Gas hits /gallon in Austin-traffic.bmp  

Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,266,854 times
I believe the new Honda Odyssey gets around 28-30 MPG on the highway which is pretty good considering the size of that thing!

Quote:
Personally, I love the Prius we have. Gas mileage is awesome, interior is small, but it's good enough for a family of 4. It definitely does not feel like the Civic we used to have, which was t-i-n-y.

Once the Prius V comes out (the hatchback version, anyway), I will seriously consider replacing our old SUV.

Wish there were a minivan with good gas mileage (40+ mpg). If there were, that sucker would sell like crazy. No idea why there isn't one out there already.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,266,854 times
People will just whine about gas prices. Few if any will make any actual changes in their lifestyle until gas gets WELL OVER 4 dollars a gallon (which is a long way off). Again, rising gas prices is the BEST thing that could happen in this country. But unfortunately, they won't stay high (they never do), so Austin people just head right back to the Chevy Dealership and order up a serving of Tahoe, Suburban, and Silverado HD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post

Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 AM

554 posts, read 1,745,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Typically Monday morning traffic is lighter (than Tues-Thurs) from the NW and I have no idea why but today seemed thicker than usual. Several years ago increased gas prices really lightened the traffic load starting around $3 and going up from there. I think the same people are going to work but are carpooling, timing their trips better, and making less stops.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,426 times
Quote:
Typically Monday morning traffic is lighter (than Tues-Thurs) from the NW and I have no idea why but today seemed thicker than usual. Several years ago increased gas prices really lightened the traffic load starting around $3 and going up from there. I think the same people are going to work but are carpooling, timing their trips better, and making less stops.
It actually wasn't too bad for me today. I have started coming in to work at 07:00 which is a big improvement over getting in at 08:00 although it is still not clear sailing. I get on at Lakeline and off at Cameron.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Makes sense. Mondays and Fridays are the biggest days for call-ins, and I think they are the most often taken vacation days as well.

I think higher gas prices have a delayed effect... It's still been a relatively recent increase, people haven't filled their tank in a week or so maybe, haven't received their gas card bills, etc. Whatever traffic relief we see from higher prices will have to wait 4-5 weeks I'd bet.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:

No idea why there isn't a minivan with 40 MPG? No idea at all?

Simple phyics. Today's 3 row 7 or 8 seat minivans weigh almost 4500 lbs. Put the Prius drivetrain in a Honda Odyssey and it would be slower than the Smart. Which is dangerously slow. And it wouln't probably get 40 MPG anyway because the gas engine would be running full time.

The Mazda5 is a three row 6 passenger mini-minivan, and it gets 21/28 MPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin