Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM

21 posts, read 26,756 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a warmer climate due to my husband's back pain issues that increase with the colder, damp weather in Kentucky. We have an 8 year old so good schools important. I am in the fitness industry; my husband would be looking toward the automotive/motorcycle world. I'm not a fan of heat and humidity, but will deal with it for his sake. I read on these forums that Austin can be cold. For a few days or weeks? And what does cold mean? Our winters average 20-40 degrees for 2+ months. Austin looks very progressive which appeals to me. Love the dryer climate of the southwest but Phoenix looks huge-mon-gous and Vegas? My folks live there - parents love the climate and gambling, sister and her family hate the climate, schools and job situation. Any objective input would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
lookingwest,

I don't know a huge deal about Austin. I know, though, that Austin as well as LA/Orange County, San Diego, Fort Worth, Houston, and now Raleigh-Durham are among my top choice areas for relocation. (Seattle used to be in that list, but not so much now.) Of course, I'm open to other areas where the job market in the field I want to get into (and have been interviewing for) is strongest in this economy.

I know that Austin is a beautiful clean, modern city that does a decent job of protecting its historical sites. The skyline is beautiful, especially as it faces and shines from Town Lake. The park along Town Lake, which I think is Zilker Park, is green and full of activity, at least for the vast majority of the year.

I live in Kentucky currently. We have some great and beautiful parks here, i.e.: the Olmstead parks and Jefferson Memorial Forest in Louisville, Cove Spring in Frankfort and Devou in Covington. Yet, they don't have nearly the activity that the parks in Austin have. This indicates that in Austin, you have better overall weather year-round (except for the dog days of August and some cold days in January) to enjoy those amenities.

I'm only in my mid-20s, but if I were older (LOL) and given a choice of Florida (oh so common) and Texas, I'd pick Texas in a heartbeat. And I think central Texas' Hill Country will be a great pick because, like Kentucky, there's so much green.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Where you have seasons like winter, we have fronts that last for a few days and then it warms up again. During a normal cold front, it might be in the low 30s at night and 40s in the day, but it climbs back up into 70s after a few days. Maybe someone can dig up some data to correct or confirm that perceived pattern.

We don't have nearly the winter precipitation that you have. Snow is rare, unless you live north of Austin. A real snowfall that doesn't melt off by the afternoon without a trace is probably a once in a decade event.

We have much less rain than Kentucky, a lot more sunshine. Bigger sky, or perhaps shorter trees, so the sun really beats down on you in the summer. In Texas, it seems like it is either drought or flood, drought more common. Summers can be hot, hot, hot here, but I remember the hot, sticky summers in Kentucky. Our humidity is low compared to yours. And we do have trees. Not everywhere, but some areas will remind you of home in a way.

Looks like we share a hometown, btw. It's a bit of a culture shock coming here, too many differences to mention. To be honest, even after over 40 years, it is still nice to go back home. But, I have grown to like Austin over the years.

Last edited by capcat; 02-24-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 09:05 PM

291 posts, read 800,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingwest View Post
We are looking for a warmer climate due to my husband's back pain issues that increase with the colder, damp weather in Kentucky. Austin is definitely warmer than KY We have an 8 year old so good schools important. Plenty of good schools here I am in the fitness industry Lots of fitness and health conscious people here, shouldn't have a hard time finding your niche; my husband would be looking toward the automotive/motorcycle world I don't know too much about that business, but lots of motorcycles around and I see a few custom motorcycle shops here and there. Of course, auto repair shops are plentiful. I'm not a fan of heat and humidity, but will deal with it for his sake We don't have humidity year round, so not too bad. I read on these forums that Austin can be cold. For a few days or weeks? Some years it doesn't get below freezing in winter. Usually we have a few DAYS of cold weather. This year it was colder than usual with 4 days in a row in the 20's - but that is VERY unusual. It was in the 70's all last week and it was 84 today And what does cold mean? Our winters average 20-40 degrees for 2+ months. Our cold weather lasts only a few days Austin looks very progressive which appeals to me Some people love it some don't - I"ve been here 25 years and I love it. Love the dryer climate of the southwest but Phoenix looks huge-mon-gous and Vegas? My folks live there - parents love the climate and gambling, sister and her family hate the climate, schools and job situation. Any objective input would be welcome! Jobs are not plentiful right now but with your skills, it shouldnt' take too long
Come on down!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
My in-laws just moved down from the Louisville area and love it, although they have been down here multiple times a year for many, many years. Relative humidity here is very similar, at least in general terms, to the Louisville area. Both are more humid than the true SW, and both are dryer than the gulf coast. Heat can be very high in the summer, though.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:11 PM

21 posts, read 26,756 times
Thank you everyone. Austin seems to "fit" for many reasons. We plan to make a trip that way in early April during the school spring break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin