Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 57,055 times

Advertisements

We live close to Braker & Metric and are currently looking at the Children's School on Hancock. While the facilities may not be the best, we liked a particular teacher. However, then I read on another review site a posting from a monther who said it may have been a good school a while ago but wasn't anymore. Right after that came aposting from a mom who said she thought the school was great...so now I just don't know if I'm making the right choice for my 3-year old. Any insight?

A friend of mine had her daughter at Twin Oaks and said it was good. I did visit the Arbor but actually was more impressed wtih the Children's School in comparison. Any advice on where you can go to get ratings or more reviews on Montessori schools in the Austin area (specifically those located in North Austin) or is there a listing of the top 10 somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 39,490 times
We pulled our child out of Hawthorne. Because it is a new school, there are no reviews. The best advice would be to ask for previous parents, as well as current parents to speak with, demand observation time, and start a parent run yahoo group for parents and teachers to communicate directly. There is more to a school than the teacher. We LOVED our daughters teacher at HMS, but the administrator was not someone we could trust. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,463 times
We just enrolled one at Arbor Montessori on Jollyville. Don't know much about it yet, but it is a sister-school to North Austin Mont. and I have heard good reviews about that one from a few parents we know whose children go there. Arbor is run by the daughter of the woman who runs North Austin, and so far she has been very open and invited us to visit anytime. Feels ok so far. School starts on Monday.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 57,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Ward View Post
We pulled our child out of Hawthorne. Because it is a new school, there are no reviews. The best advice would be to ask for previous parents, as well as current parents to speak with, demand observation time, and start a parent run yahoo group for parents and teachers to communicate directly. There is more to a school than the teacher. We LOVED our daughters teacher at HMS, but the administrator was not someone we could trust. Good luck!
I justed checked out the Hawthorne one and I actually thought it was pretty good. I like the teachers that my 3 year old would have. Any feedback you can provide on the administrator? Also, where did you taker your daughter instead and how has that experience been?

Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,458 times
Does anyone have experience with Northwest Montessori House of Children in Austin?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 116,159 times
Austin Montessori School has a location on Great Northern Blvd, which is close to Far West and Mopac. All of the guides are AMS certified. I have two children there and we absolutely love it! Here is their website Austin Montessori School - Education for Austin, TX.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 23,854 times
Hi there. My daughter has attended Hawthorne Montessori School on Kramer for 8 months. We are both very happy with the school, the owners, the teachers and assistant teachers, and the community of parents we've found there.

What helped me in my school search was to make a list and just visit one after the other and take notes. In the end, what put HMS over the top for me:

Co-owners Lisa and Shana have a very strong vision of building a Montessori community around their new school (open only a year now) and I trust their leadership.
The teachers are credentialed, amazing, and very special people. They are a diverse and thoughtful group. Each one brings something unique.
The Montessori materials and classroom environments are really top notch. Materials are rotated. The circle work time and individual work time is well planned and executed.
Parent/teacher communication is a priority. There are parent conferences, weekly e-mail summaries, Friday folders, and monthly newsletters. The owners utilize online calendars and e-mail and other things that make keeping up with my daughter's school convenient.
The HMS community is filled with thoughtful and positive parents. There are projects that the parents participate in (the latest being new tree installation), monthly book club, and a parent e-group for sharing and suggestions and questions. The celebrations and potlucks let parents make connections and learn about your children's friends and families.
The school is a full year, full day program which is great for me as a working mom. I don't have to worry about backup care for summers or whole weeks of break in between sessions like some Montessori schools.
My daughter loves it.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 PM

114 posts, read 472,074 times
Also..it should be noted that you can go to the texas depart of childrens services website and look uop the inspection reports as well as complaint history of all licenesed day care providers. It can be very informative. Youll need to run the web search as I forget the exact site and I do believe it is the state site and not that of the individual county

Old 07-20-2009, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 12,666 times
I wholeheartedly do NOT recommend Hawthorne. The staff turnover is OUTRAGEOUS and the administration seems to be the problem. Please,for the sake of your children, be very wary of this school.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 11,224 times
May 2010 - We LOVE the Children's School and could not imagine a better situation. The teachers are dedicated, caring, highly trained and enthusiastic. Our daughter just turned four and it is amazing how much she has learned there since the fall. The buildings from the outside are not impressive but the classrooms are huge and the program is top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: