U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,865,968 times

Advertisements

I know it is hard to recognize with this cooler weather, but in spite of the dew on the deck each morning, we really have not had much rain in a LONG time.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/pics/south_dm.png (broken link)
Regional Drought Monitor: South (http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_south.htm - broken link)

It appears that not having much rain in late winter/early spring is normal for Austin, but we were way behind the normal rainfall last fall and have not seen much since. I'm looking forward to a wet spring.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-27-2011 at 03:59 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 PM

I found this data which curiously shows that Austin had higher then normal rainfall amounts last year, but that was all in the spring and one very unusual month in Sept. But since then we have been in a drought and continue to be so. A large wildfire broke out NW of Austin this week.

http://atmo.tamu.edu/osc/tx/AnnBull10.htm

Most of the state has had burn bans in effect since prior to January 2011. http://atmo.tamu.edu/osc/socimpacts/...s/image007.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
We are still in a drought, folks...-rainfall.jpg  

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-27-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 05:02 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,110,583 times
I suspect after this ongoing drought and recent hard freeze that many of us will have some dead and declining plants and trees. The oaks look OK but knowing how little rain we have had, I am concerned.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I suspect after this ongoing drought and recent hard freeze that many of us will have some dead and declining plants and trees. The oaks look OK but knowing how little rain we have had, I am concerned.
Yep! I turned my sprinkler system back on 50% hoping to give my landscaping a chance at surviving.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,926 times
Aside from a few rainy days in January, it has been quite dry indeed. I wouldn't count on a wet spring since we're still in a La Nina weather pattern. The Climate Prediction Center has all of the southern US below normal in precip for the next three months. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead01/off01_prcp.gif

Good news is La Nina is predicted to weaken this spring and disappear sometime in May-June. Hopefully this will mean wetting rains for the summer.

Last edited by actexasred; 02-27-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 PM

12,063 posts, read 12,073,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I found this data which curiously shows that Austin had higher then normal rainfall amounts last year, but that was all in the spring and one very unusual month in Sept. But since then we have been in a drought and continue to be so. A large wildfire broke out NW of Austin this week.

http://atmo.tamu.edu/osc/tx/AnnBull10.htm

Most of the state has had burn bans in effect since prior to January 2011. http://atmo.tamu.edu/osc/socimpacts/...s/image007.jpg
Yep and the September rain was mainly 2 tropical events, one at the beginning of the month and the other at the end. So most of the rain was runoff instead of good soaking rains. Fortunately the Highland lakes caught a good deal of it.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 PM

12,063 posts, read 12,073,584 times
I hope we'd get some torrential downpours to wash off the remaining cedar and elm pollen, then I hope for regular rain during oak pollination season.

I actually prefer a hot and dry summer as it dries out the grasses and prevents ragweed from accumulating. In Fall 2009 we basically had no ragweed at all because of the dry summer before it.

So for me, ideally you'd get tons of winter and spring rain that would fill up the lakes and wash out the pollen during the worst seasons and hopefully that rain would tide you over during a hot and dry summer.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,025,010 times
We have been in a drought pretty much since I moved here in 2003. No one ever believes me when I say it just doesn't rain much in Austin overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I know it is hard to recognize with this cooler weather, but in spite of the dew on the deck each morning, we really have not had much rain in a LONG time.

Regional Drought Monitor: South (http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_south.htm - broken link)

It appears that not having much rain in late winter/early spring is normal for Austin, but we were way behind the normal rainfall last fall and have not seen much since. I'm looking forward to a wet spring.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,426,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
So for me, ideally you'd get tons of winter and spring rain that would fill up the lakes and wash out the pollen during the worst seasons and hopefully that rain would tide you over during a hot and dry summer.

What this town needs is another lake. I'm not talking about something like Decker Lake or Lake Pflugerville. We need another huge lake like Lake Travis, or Canyon Lake, but further out past the 130 tollway, in either Bastrop, East Travis or Caldwell counties where the land is still inexpensive, and dedicate it solely for drinking water - not rice farmers near the gulf. The clayish soils would hold the water better than limestone any day. I saw Onion Creek turn into a veritable river during the last tropical storm, to the likes that could rival the Pedernales. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to harness something like that for our own needs.

Last edited by jobert; 02-28-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM

1,961 posts, read 5,755,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
What this town needs is another lake. I'm not talking about something like Decker Lake or Lake Pflugerville. We need another huge lake like Lake Travis, or Canyon Lake, but further out past the 130 tollway, in either Bastrop, East Travis or Caldwell counties where the land is still inexpensive, and dedicate it solely for drinking water - not rice farmers near the gulf. The clayish soils would hold the water better than limestone any day. I saw Onion Creek turn into a veritable river during the last tropical storm, to the likes that could rival the Pedernales. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to harness something like that for our own needs.

it is interesting to see what happens long term to these lakes. I remember reading about Mona lake in CA that long term it reaked havoc on the local environment. not sure if that was a special case or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>