Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,344 times

Advertisements

I'm in the very early planning stages of considering a move to either DC or Austin. I know that these types of threads show up all the time and I really don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'd love some fresh insight on the differences/similarities/awesome points/not so great things about living in these two very different places. I've been living in NYC (Brooklyn) for about ten years and while I love the city, I need a major change of pace. I've spent a few months here and there in Madison and generally loved the vibe there. I've come to think of it as my measuring stick - though I'm not sure that living there would be practical. Just to give you an idea of some of what I'm looking for/what's is important to me: I really enjoyed the size of Madison, though I could certainly stand some for something quite a bit larger. I also really liked the friendly liberal/academic atmosphere, coffee shops, cool bars and restaurants, outdoor spaces to relax, socialize, play. I appreciated how easy it was to feel a part of a community.Madison would be perfect if 1) the winters were not so effing cold and long, and 2) it were more diverse. I've spent a good deal of time in DC and love the culture, spirit and size of the city - cosmopolitan without the sheer size and scale of NYC. My major concerns are that it might be a little too "button downed" for me, that sense of community that I need will be elusive, and the the cost of living will be disappointing (I'm looking for an opportunity to have my money go farther than it does in NY). I don't have any personal experience with Austin but I am drawn to the idea of an affordable, liberal, southern, laid back, outdoorsy spot. I do have lots of questions about the racial/socioeconomic dynamic in and around Austin, job prospects for folks who are not in IT, design, etc. etc. I'd be looking for education/non-profit/community development type work and my boyfriend would be looking for work in the allied health field (physical therapy assistant). Help!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM

228 posts, read 537,366 times
DC vs. Austin was covered recently in another thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...gle-29-yr.html

As for Madison--IMO, Austin is very much like Madison with skyscrapers and a lot more sprawl around it. Big university presence, not particularly diverse in the core of the city (although moreso than Madison), lots of local shops/restaurants, very outdoorsy, good nightlife for young people, etc. Austin is definitely a bigger city than Madison but Austin feels much more like Madison than a big city like DC.

If you are looking for something with the size and diversity of DC with a Madison-like vibe, Austin is not your city. Austin only has the "vibe." Be warned--prices are shockingly high in the central part of Austin where you will probably want to live.

As far as the racial/socioeconomic dynamic is concerned, I would say Austin is like just about any other mid-sized US city--segregated and not particularly diverse. FWIW, some people on this board claim that Austin is not friendly to African Americans. The black community in Austin is a much smaller fraction of the population compared to DFW or Houston (and is just generally less diverse).

Can't comment on your job prospects but there will inevitably be a few posters giving you the common sense reminder that it's not a good idea to move without a job lined up.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times
Although I didn't live here in the 70's and 80's, i would suspect that Madison is very much how Austin USED to be. Madison is still a livable community that has remained small, and unique. It has beautiful lakes, tons of trees, and very hilly. UW Madison is also a beautiful school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
DC vs. Austin was covered recently in another thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...gle-29-yr.html

As for Madison--IMO, Austin is very much like Madison with skyscrapers and a lot more sprawl around it. Big university presence, not particularly diverse in the core of the city (although moreso than Madison), lots of local shops/restaurants, very outdoorsy, good nightlife for young people, etc. Austin is definitely a bigger city than Madison but Austin feels much more like Madison than a big city like DC.

If you are looking for something with the size and diversity of DC with a Madison-like vibe, Austin is not your city. Austin only has the "vibe." Be warned--prices are shockingly high in the central part of Austin where you will probably want to live.

As far as the racial/socioeconomic dynamic is concerned, I would say Austin is like just about any other mid-sized US city--segregated and not particularly diverse. FWIW, some people on this board claim that Austin is not friendly to African Americans. The black community in Austin is a much smaller fraction of the population compared to DFW or Houston (and is just generally less diverse).

Can't comment on your job prospects but there will inevitably be a few posters giving you the common sense reminder that it's not a good idea to move without a job lined up.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
i would suspect that Madison is very much how Austin USED to be. Madison is still a livable community that has remained small, and unique. It has beautiful lakes, tons of trees, and very hilly. UW Madison is also a beautiful school.
I also lack a frame of reference on how Austin used to be, but I lived in Madison for 10 years and have visited Austin a couple of times a year for the last 8 years.

Austin is much, much more urban than Madison. As the post I quoted highlights, there are similarities downtown and on the UT campus, but on the whole it's a very different place than Madison. A highway map comparison will tell you that.

Development-wise, Austin probably has as much in common with Milwaukee or Waukesha as it does with Madison.

I much prefer the oppressively hot summers of Texas to the brutally cold, snowy winters of Wisconsin. Not everyone shares that view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: