Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 AM

53 posts, read 147,634 times

Advertisements

I need to make a decision by the end of May and I need some honest advice!!! Austin or portland? I love food, music, outdoors, I will have not car. Looking for an urban kind of place, with a lillte bit of everything within walking distance. I don't mind the rain or the heat (I live in Arizona now) Any suggestion? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,238 times
It's not impossible to live in Austin without a car, but it's darn inconvenient at times. Our city is not well set up for public transportation and there are many areas where public transportation just doesn't go. This is not one of those places like NYC or the Bay Area where you can pretty much get around everywhere. If you are going to go that route, you need to be careful to get hired before you come and work out your housing and employment situation where you are located on bus lines or within a distance you can ride by bicycle.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ4U View Post
I need to make a decision by the end of May and I need some honest advice!!! Austin or portland? I love food, music, outdoors, I will have not car. Looking for an urban kind of place, with a lillte bit of everything within walking distance. I don't mind the rain or the heat (I live in Arizona now) Any suggestion? Thank you!
Which place do you have a job in? That is where you should go. We get a lot of these threads, BLANK or Austin. My advice is always the same. You are an adult. You go where the job is. Wherever you are you will make it work. Plan your life around a paycheck, not Outdoor concerts that you can't afford to go to if you are unemployed. That's my "honest advice".

Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
If you don't have a car, go to Portland. Their public transportation is MUCH better than ours. But I caution you, the gray in the PNW can really bring some people down. It's not so much rain that bothered me, it was the unrelenting gray almost year round (I lived in Seattle for 18 years, Portland isn't quite as bad, but close).

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Not that it's easy to find a job in Austin, but the unemployment rate in Portland is very high - higher than the national average, in fact. Do you have a job lined up, or are you hoping to find a job wherever you move?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM

53 posts, read 147,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Not that it's easy to find a job in Austin, but the unemployment rate in Portland is very high - higher than the national average, in fact. Do you have a job lined up, or are you hoping to find a job wherever you move?
I'm getting a job transfer and I can choose austin or portland... I just needed help and advice about this two places. Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ4U View Post
I'm getting a job transfer and I can choose austin or portland... I just needed help and advice about this two places. Thanks
There's a LOT of Portland vs. Austin threads on City Data. I suggest you read through them. Here's a few:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...nd-austin.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...charlotte.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ggestions.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-portland.html

If you can get a job transfer to either city, then ultimately your decision will come down to personal factors. What are the most important criteria for you in choosing a city?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM

73 posts, read 148,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Which place do you have a job in? That is where you should go. We get a lot of these threads, BLANK or Austin. My advice is always the same. You are an adult. You go where the job is. Wherever you are you will make it work. Plan your life around a paycheck, not Outdoor concerts that you can't afford to go to if you are unemployed. That's my "honest advice".
Maybe we shouldn't make assumptions regarding people's employment or talk to them like we would our 18 year old children.

I'd just like to say that living carless is easier in Portland, but still possible in Austin. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
Maybe we shouldn't make assumptions regarding people's employment or talk to them like we would our 18 year old children.

I'd just like to say that living carless is easier in Portland, but still possible in Austin. Good luck.
Perhaps you should take your own advice?

Also, no assumptions were made. Do you know what an assumption is? I clearly asked a question, let me repeat it..

Which place do you have a job in?

...Which the OP answered. Thanks OP.

Let me google that for you There. That should help you with your language skills.

Also, an 18 year old is an adult. So if I talk to them like an 18 year old, I talk to them like an adult. Regardless. If you come on to a relocation forum and ask strangers "Where should I live?" then we are just going to throw out our opinions. Which I did. "Which place do you have a job in, go there." Sound advice I think. And really, advice I would not have to give if the OP had bothered to do a search of the forum and seen the endless threads on both Austin and Portland comparisons.

Perhaps I could have been very verbose and gone on endlessly about the pros and cons of both cities. But why take the time to do that when the OP doesn't have the time to do a simple forum search. I am not knocking the OP, they can do as they wish. But this topic has been covered so many times before, that the OP really is only going to get the bottom of the barrel.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
If you want a cheaper cost of living, Austin hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin