Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
...when I said to the lady working at the City of Round Rock office, "Oh, do you mean like "Unincorporated" (as we lived in an "Unincorporated" area in WA) she didn't know what I meant...
That's like telling a marriage counselor that you're single and they respond by saying "I don't know what you mean." More proof that the advertising is accurate --- "Texas: it's like a whole other country!"

Seriously, this state is so weird compared to other states. Well, I guess Louisiana takes the cake for crazy state politics but Texas does pretty well in bizarreness, corruption and inept policies. But I still love it here for reasons I'll never be able to articulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I don't know, but I think each state in the union has some corruption and inept policies. Vermont comes to mind as one. California, another. Florida. But also as a lifetime Texan, I find other states so weird when compared to Texas

Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I don't know, but I think each state in the union has some corruption and inept policies.
You're so right about that. But if you want to compare states on strange laws and corruption, I'd put Louisiana and Texas at the top of the list. How many times has the Lone Star state made headlines or been the subject of documentaries? And I can think of a lot more topics that haven't received the national spotlight. When I lived in California I never saw anything like the corruption I see here. I think it's a remnant of the "good old boy" method of controlling business and politics. I wish we could bring back Ann Richards.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I don't know, but I think each state in the union has some corruption and inept policies. Vermont comes to mind as one. California, another. Florida. But also as a lifetime Texan, I find other states so weird when compared to Texas
Rhode Island might take the cake for corruption. The mayor of Providence (Buddy Cianci) got sent to prison. Then we re-elected him. Then he was sent to prison again. Many have written that lil Rhody has a more active mafia than either Boston or New York. It's a weird, weird little state.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
I Was living in DC when the mayor, Marion Berry was caught with a prostitute and cocaine, went to jail - and then was later reelected... and what about what's going on in politics TODAY???

Political corruption IS all over. BUT, Texas is like a whole other country, The Republic of TX! And as such, does have weird things, laws, practices about it.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,694 times
Ah, yes, Marion Berry! I forgot about that Jen! That was during my college days in DC.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I Was living in DC when the mayor, Marion Berry was caught with a prostitute and cocaine, went to jail - and then was later reelected...
I always forget about that. Intentionally. It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that he was re-elected.

What does a politician have to do in DC before the voters say "Uhhh, maybe we'll vote for the other candidate"

edit: Was just thinking, Bush was re-elected... I guess that says it all.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
umm...back to 'Austin', even though this could go off on some interesting topics

Old 08-02-2007, 02:30 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
Quote:
Political corruption IS all over. BUT, Texas is like a whole other country, The Republic of TX! And as such, does have weird things, laws, practices about it.
Texas seems more like a region than a state, so maybe that's one of the reasons why things seem so strange and out of synch with other state's governing practices. Ohio is 1/6th the size of Texas and the politicians still f*#$ things up...continually. So I can imagine that the scale of government in Texas(either too much or not enough) can cause a lot oversight, cronyism and outdated management models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin