Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
What is the solution? How are we going to rectify this problem? What are going to happen to our teachers (probationary) that lose their jobs? What is going to happen to our students that lose/minimize their education? What is going to happen to Texas without much needed education?

I am truly worried!
You are advocating attending the rally tomorrow. What does the organization behind the rally offer as proposals to solve the problem ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I wonder how many of those teachers rallying now, and opposing these cuts voted for conservative candidates that pushed them through? My bet would be 50%. Now you understand first hand how this game works. Middle class jobs that can support a family will be eliminated little by little. No multimillionaires in Texas will sacrifice. Just your family, when they get to you. They'll be going after other government workers now as well as unions if there is anything left to take away from them.
Texas is a right to work state. You do live here don't you ?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You are advocating attending the rally tomorrow. What does the organization behind the rally offer as proposals to solve the problem ?
Right now it is my understanding that the rally is to let Gov Perry know that the cuts are unacceptable. Perry is being asked to use the Rainy Day Funds to save education but I am not sure that is an answer. Perhaps a bandaid but a solution, I do not think so.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:18 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Right now it is my understanding that the rally is to let Gov Perry know that the cuts are unacceptable. Perry is being asked to use the Rainy Day Funds to save education but I am not sure that is an answer. Perhaps a bandaid but a solution, I do not think so.
The only long term answer is to raise taxes via some form. Whether it be income, corporate, sales, property, fuel, etc.

That's the choice. It should be done and the burden should fall primarily on the wealthy.

That's not an option with these legislators because Texans have elected right wing radicals and corporate stooges as their representatives.

The only party that is looking out for the interests of kids and teachers in public education are DEMOCRATS. Plain and simple.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas is a right to work state. You do live here don't you ?
I'm fully aware of that. Learn to read in context. What don't you get about my exact words "...unions, if there is anything left to take away from them?"

There could very well be things a State could do beyond passing "right to work" laws that hurt unions.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Teachers should be teaching the subjects instead of throwing tantrums. This is why our students are so obtuse and philistine.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Teachers should be teaching the subjects instead of throwing tantrums. This is why our students are so obtuse and philistine.
What's your excuse?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dallas_dean View Post
We simply CAN NOT continue to raise taxes.
Sure we can. In fact, Texas is going to have to at some point soon. Not to the crazy California / Massachusetts extent, but the state can't operate without money.

Ironically, it's the lack of state income tax, etc., that is going to cause taxes to be raised. So many are moving here, thinking it's some sort of promised land, and the extra people are massively overburdening the state.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Sure we can. In fact, Texas is going to have to at some point soon. Not to the crazy California / Massachusetts extent, but the state can't operate without money.

Ironically, it's the lack of state income tax, etc., that is going to cause taxes to be raised. So many are moving here, thinking it's some sort of promised land, and the extra people are massively overburdening the state.
I wouldn't underestimate the profound apathy, and willful ignorance in our average Texas voter. The pain will need to be so intense before they don't have the luxury of clinging to these bizarre libertarian economic theories. It may be two Decades before they wake up, or minority voting trends eventually force the State to help it's middle class and poor citizens.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

I didn't realize school was being held on Saturday.

But I guess you don't think teachers have a right to fight for their professions and their students.

How far do Texas kids have to fall behind the rest of the country before people in this state wake up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin