Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 PM

66 posts, read 376,173 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a realistic view of commute time from home in 78729 zip code (Alamo Drafthouse area) to downtown on 6th & Congress. Is this a reasonable daily commute? Or would the traffic be really bad?

Also, can anyone recommend any nice neighborhoods to rent apartment in fairly close to 6th & Congress but not being right in middle of downtown or in "bad" neighborhood? Any neighborhoods to stay away from?

Thanks for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 08:33 AM

447 posts, read 1,843,109 times
Hi - we live about 10 minutes from that area, and our daycare used to be right over on the other side of 183 from the Alamo Drafthouse, so my husband (who dropped the kids off in the morning) did this commute every day for months. He works in the Frost building right downtown on Congress, so it's just about the exact same commute you are asking about.

He went down 183 to Mopac to Cesar Chavez (I think - I may be off on the last street) and leaving the daycare at around 8-8:15, it usually took him 35-45 minutes to get to work, depending on the traffic that particular day.

Hope that helped!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:15 AM

Tracey:

Thanks so much for the info! My husband will be working at One American Center @ 6th & Congress, which sounds like a very similar commute. Much appreciated!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,260,072 times
Jackie - I don't know if you saw it, but you had asked about the Vistas at Canyon Creek on an earlier post several weeks ago. I went out and took pics of the complex for you. Search "vistas at canyon creek." sounds like you may have already narrowed in on that 183 area that you were looking at earlier, but wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten about you

when are you leaving Phoenix?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:17 AM

Gigi:

Hi, thanks for the photos. I hadn't seen that post until just now. Thanks for taking those and posting them. Much appreciated! We haven't made up our mind definitely on the area. It might be too long a commute for my husband, although he does work varied hours so he wouldn't always be driving during peak time. We just thought the Dalewood Townhomes (photos you took for me a while back) would be good for us, mainly because we would have a private fenced in yard, which would be great for us and our dog. I'm not likely to find many apartments/townhomes with that.

We will be leaving Phoenix at the end of September. I'm thrilled!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM

98 posts, read 484,789 times
Default commute

That commute is one of the better ones for people working downtown. I lived in the Gateways just North of 183 and worked on 4th street. Never saw IH-35 and only went Mopac home(late at night you can tear down Mopac while the same can not be said of IH-35). Even if you are living West of Mopac it would behoove you to go across to Burnet.

My route from that area: Burnet to 38th(Burnet turns into Medical I belive at 45th) to Lamar and then cut up(E)on 15th to Guadalupe to whatever E-W numbered road you need downtown. This route was mainly chosen because it avoided the more annoying bus routes. The three most frequent busses(1L, 1M, 101) run down Lamar from Rundberg to the Guadalupe/Lamar split and then travel down Guadalupe to 15th where they jag onto Congress...sorry no easier way to explain this. If you have to travel down Congress during rush stay in the middle lane as long as you possibly can even if you have to circle a block to get where you are going. One handycaped bus rider stops traffic in the right lane for ~6 minutes and there is always at least one boarding on both sides of the street. They also have no qualms about stalling at lights to stay on schedule.
On top of this all major busses travel down Congress at some point in their route.

P.S. This is not a complaint against Capitol Metro. I no longer drive in Austin and CapMetro is one of the best above ground mass transit systems in the world. A lot of people who complain don't understand how much worse traffic would be without them. But the bus routes are best avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: