Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 PM

112 posts, read 261,955 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Visited Austin a few years ago and loved it. Spent a week at Lake Austin Spa and Resort and went in to Austin for shopping and lunch a few times. Seems like a great city and everyone I met was very cool and nice.

Can anyone tell me what would be safe, possibly gated communities that would be close in to Austin - maybe 20 minutes maximum drive in - for two empty nesters that wanted to spend the winters there? We'd want one level house with a small pool, outdoor patio & fireplace. Wouldn't need a big backyard, but one we could make into a little oasis for us and our dogs. We mostly like to walk, hike, go into town for shopping and restaurants, movies, etc. We wouldn't have to drive in for work, so commute times aren't an issue.

I love places like Rough Hollow, but it's so far from the city of Austin. Are there any pretty communities nearer in? Something we could lock and leave? We have 3 little dogs, so an apt-like condo is out of the question for us.

We're also looking at Scottsdale, AZ, but Austin seems more laid back and SO green!

Thank you very much in advance for any ideas and/or advice.

MM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Austin is a good choice. It offers a more relaxed pace, and compared to where I've lived before, this town makes me feel like I'm on a perpetual vacation.

What is your price range, and how much are you willing to pay in property taxes, HOA fees?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM

40 posts, read 221,200 times
What's the attraction to gated communities? I think they're annoying. And if you live 20 minutes from downtown, no one is going to be stepping foot in your community unless they live there. Gates are annoying and they have a pretentious feel.

I do have a friend who lives in a nice complex in SoCo, and I understand the purpose of those gates... There are too many people who would want to park and wander in your complex.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:44 AM

No hang up on gates - just taking in consideration that there would be months that the house would be unused and empty. My thinking is a gated community usually has some sort of security in place - be it a guy who drives thru once in awhile thruout the night or a entry gate. It's not a must - as you'll note I say "possibly gated."

Again, can't do a condo due to 3 little dogs - they want an yard and so do we. Our budget would be 500 - 1m. We've had a vacation place in another state for years, so we're used to having the HOA and tax issue.

Thanks again,
MM

Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
I think the OP probably lives in a city where gated communities are typical, and required for safety from crime... in Austin, they are not so common or necessary.

That said, if you liked Lakeway, there are equally as nice neighborhoods which are close-in to Austin. They would be slightly older, but WAY better location if you ever want to enjoy the amenities of the city itself. Close-in locations actually provide superior access to public hiking, biking trails, lakes and greenbelts, too. Lakeway and farther out burbs are generally surrounded by more private land, so you're pretty much left with only whatever your specific community owns.

So, all that said, here are my recos. Note: these aren't "resort communuties" like you'd find in Lakeway -- they are places where people actually live. They are also older construction, like 80s or newer:

* Lakewood: Best combination of location, price, and "lock it and leave it". The homes are somewhat smaller, many are detached condos/townhouses (with yards though), small lots, but dramatic hilly views. Close to Bull Creek greenbelt, Balcones Preserve, Lake Austin, shopping at domain/arboretum, 15-20 mins from downtown. Not gated, but very safe.

* Cat Mountain: Similar in age to Lakewood, little closer in and larger/more varied homes. Many townhome/villas. "Inside the loop" (meaning east side of 360 and south side of 183). 15 mins from DT when there is no traffic. Closer to Lake Austin, Mt Bonnell, etc. Not gated, but very safe.

* Courtyard: Right on Lake Austin. Some townhome/villas. 15 mins from DT w/o traffic. Not gated, but very safe.

* Davenport: Right on Lake Austin, but on the south side. Westlake (Eanes ISD), so there will be more kids and prices are higher. I think there may be a gated area, but not gated in general. 15 mins from downtown.

* Rob Roy: Gated, expensive, in Eanes ISD (Westlake). Closer to Barton Creek Greenbelt. 10-15 mins from downtown.

* Barton Creek: Many gated sections, expensive, a little farther out 25 mins from downtown (still much closer than Lakeway). Right on the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Some homes with big lots, but I believe there are also villas/townhomes. Resort community (ok, so I listed one). Despite big, pricey homes -- I get the feeling that many are "lock and leave" (second homes).

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks very much for the info. Again, I have 3 little dogs, so NO condo. One of my dogs cries when we leave him alone - it's a 60 second howl. I doubt other condo dwellers would appreciate it.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonkamari View Post
Thanks very much for the info. Again, I have 3 little dogs, so NO condo. One of my dogs cries when we leave him alone - it's a 60 second howl. I doubt other condo dwellers would appreciate it.
All the communities I mentioned have more like detached townhomes or garden homes (in addition to regular size or big homes). Small yards which are OK for dogs probably. The plus being not much lawn, and most of it maintained by an HOA or something so you can just leave.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
I think there's a gated section in Steiner Ranch.

Also, Arbor Place, in Round Rock, is a gated community.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM

58 posts, read 256,186 times
Every time someone asks for gated community suggestions, someone always has to ask why in the world they need to live in a gated community. Why can't the poster just receive a proper reply to his or her post on this forum?

We live in a gated community, actually it's guarded too, we have guards at the entrance, plus gates. Although I don't rely on that factor to keep my family 100% safe, it sure helps to know that it's a bit harder for criminals to enter our community. I also don't have to deal with door to door sales people, which can be dangerous and as a stay at home mom, I prefer not to have strangers at my door during the day, when I'm home alone. I call the guard house when I need someone let in, and they will call me if I forget, to make sure it's ok to let them through. To the original poster, feel free to pm me if you would like more information about our gated community to consider when picking your next home. Good luck with your house hunting.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM

40 posts, read 221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrs_k View Post
Every time someone asks for gated community suggestions, someone always has to ask why in the world they need to live in a gated community. Why can't the poster just receive a proper reply to his or her post on this forum?
Sorry, I'm new to the forum and didn't realize the question was asked all the time. The only reason I brought it up was because it's been on my mind the past few days so when I saw the thread, I figured it was time to ask!

I started thinking about it when I used the Metro Rail for the first time this week. I went up to Lakeline and the train station is pretty much in a field. As your exiting the parking area, you see this apartment complex with a gate and it just boggled my mind why an apartment complex practically in a field needed a gate. IMO, it's probably just a tactic to make the price higher.

Sorry for the hate mail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin