Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 AM

12 posts, read 31,366 times

Advertisements

we were looking at mountain ranch apartments on e.riverside and liked what we saw the pics was on-line though.we googled the area and it didn't seem bad but that was just pics.it's target tough to really know since we don't have the time to really come thats too check.it Would be more l like look, like and sign.thats why we are on here to get any info that Would help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,895 times
A good amount of crime in Austin still takes place in this area. I doubt things have changed very much lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj-pa family View Post
we were looking at mountain ranch apartments on e.riverside and liked what we saw the pics was on-line though.we googled the area and it didn't seem bad but that was just pics.it's target tough to really know since we don't have the time to really come thats too check.it Would be more l like look, like and sign.thats why we are on here to get any info that Would help

Old 03-08-2011, 08:51 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
I used to live in a complex not far from Mountain Ranch. In generally, Austin is a low crime city, even our "terrible" areas are nothing compared to some other cities. It is a predominately working-class area with a few UT students thrown in, heavily hispanic. You are very unlikely to be physically assaulted but your car might get broken into.

You must need a large apartment for low rent? Every area you have mentioned: NE, 183 at Runberg, E. Riverside is cheap and a bit sketchy particularly for Austin. Where will you be working? Try to live close to your job. Are schools a factor? What is your exact price range? How "street smart" are you?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Rundberg has been loaded with drug dealers & street hookers for years.

Every once in a while, the good residents put on "Take our neighborhood back" marches.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:21 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,528,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
You must need a large apartment for low rent? Every area you have mentioned: NE, 183 at Runberg, E. Riverside is cheap and a bit sketchy particularly for Austin. Where will you be working? Try to live close to your job. Are schools a factor? What is your exact price range? How "street smart" are you?
Stay far far away from the Rundberg/I-35/183 area. It's a center for drug dealing and prostitution. I would live on East Riverside any day over Rundberg. At least East Riverside is closer to Downtown. The biggest crime issue you'll deal with on East Riverside is theft. Don't leave your valuables in your car!

Old 03-10-2011, 08:41 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,843 times
All great comments in this thread.

I lived on east Riverside for (8 years while going to school and for awhile after) and while the area may not be perfect (I joked about it often) it got the job done. There are bad complexes and good/great ones there. The street is definitely changing over time. I used to stay at The Breakers which is the first complex off I35. I had a 2-2 right on the water with a pool and everything was rosie, and I paid just $600-$800 per month there (I had a few different places within that complex as I got married and needed more space). Though my car did get broken into the very first night I left the faceplate on my stereo. I felt it was a great deal for being so close to the city (cab fare downtown is $7.50 even today).

The price discrepancy between the bad and good apartment complexes is obvious and keeps the bad people in the bad places (rough to say, but is true).

With all of that said, the Rundberg comments are very accurate...it can not be overstated enough that the difference between East Riverside and Rundberg is night and day. You can drive that area any night of the week and see street walkers and crack dealers/pimps milling around, and you'll see at least 4 APD squad cars as you drive through. Not worth any savings in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
According to the latest 2010 crime statistics the Riverside Drive area still leads the City in Aggrevated Assaults, Rapes, Robberies, and Burglaries, with Rundberg Lane area coming in second in all of those areas.

The Rundberg Lane area is the only place in the City that has more Thefts and Motor Vehicle Thefts then the Riverside Drive area.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...available.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: