Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker2010 View Post
Olympic Heights West
There is no such place called "Olympic Heights West"...why dissociate it from the rest of the neighborhood?

Last edited by jobert; 05-04-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM

205 posts, read 739,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
There is no such place called "Olympic Heights West"...why dissociate it from the rest of the neighborhood?
The new part of Olympic Heights is called "Olympic Heights West" and the old part built in 2005 is called "Olympic Heights". You can look at traviscad.org

And the reason for mentioning only "Olympic Heights West" is because Olympic Heights residents have an option to take Manchaca Road to Slaughter.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The new part of Olympic Heights is called "Olympic Heights West" and the old part built in 2005 is called "Olympic Heights". You can look at traviscad.org.
Sure, it's a legal description on a tax record, but does anyone actually refer to it as "Olympic Heights West"? It just comes across as overly pretentious and could become divisive to the community.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Sure, it's a legal description on a tax record, but does anyone actually refer to it as "Olympic Heights West"? It just comes across as overly pretentious and divisive to the community.
Well I don't know if non-olympic heights residents use that term. But I know people living in there (both old and new parts) use the terms "olympic heights west", "new section", "west section". While we were looking for house, we met two realtors who used "olympic heights west" and I also heard the salesperson there uses the same terms.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Well I don't know if non-olympic heights residents use that term. But I know people living in there (both old and new parts) use the terms "olympic heights west", "new section", "west section". While we were looking for house, we met two realtors who used "olympic heights west" and I also heard the salesperson there uses the same terms.

Are you sure the residents from the old section refer to it this way (Olympic Heights West)?

To add a cachet term like "West" to a specific part of neighborhood comes across as superficial, and perplexing considering the modest price point (from the 180's), builder (DR Horton), and traditionally non-pretentious location (South Austin). Terms like these are created like this to add "brand value" and usually at the expense of what will surely become the "less desirable" original sections as a result. In the end it's market driven, and homebuyers are the reason it happens, they'll take anything to bump up the value of their house, legitimate or not. It's just dissapointing to see what is a veiled attempt at the seperation of the classes on such a marginal level - I'm done talking about it.

Last edited by jobert; 05-04-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Are you sure the residents from the old section refer to it this way (Olympic Heights West)?

To add a cachet term like "West" to a specific part of neighborhood comes across as superficial, and perplexing considering the modest price point (from the 180's), builder (DR Horton), and traditionally non-pretentious location (South Austin). Terms like these are created like this to add "brand value" and usually at the expense of what will surely become the "less desirable" original sections as a result. In the end it's market driven, and homebuyers are the reason it happens, they'll take anything to bump up the value of their house, legitimate or not. It's just dissapointing to see what is a veiled attempt at the seperation of the classes on such a marginal level - I'm done talking about it.
Yes I am. I have a pest control guy, a handyman, a cable guy come couple times for some work at my house. All of them live in old section and they interchangeably use those terms. I also have 2 friends living in old section and same thing. Ofcourse I didn't survey or went to ask every resident of both sections what do they call. But just stating what I heard.

The home prices of the new section are obviously more. They sit on bigger lots, bigger floorplans, new construction built to latest Austin Energy Guidelines and all of them fall under Bowie High School limits.

Last edited by infoseeker2010; 05-04-2011 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:

The home prices of the new section are obviously more. They sit on bigger lots, bigger floorplans, new construction built to latest Austin Energy Guidelines.
I'm not debating whether they are different, I debating whether small changes in price (as little as 10K difference between comparable houses) is validation enough to seperate a neighborhood like that. Well that's good and all, but there are many neighborhoods with a diverse mix of housing that manage not to seperate themselves from their neighbors. Our neighborhood has over 1000 houses in it ranging in value from 200K to 1MM that were built in different phases over the course of four decades, yet we all live in the same neighborhood. The people in the most expensive homes don't call themselves something else to distance themselves from the other people. It's just pretentious.

It's all starting to make sense now. I know it's used as a geographic distinction, but in reality it will become a self-fulfilling socio-economic distinction.

Last edited by jobert; 05-04-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not debating whether they are different, I debating whether small changes in price (as little as 10K difference between comparable houses) is validation enough to seperate a neighborhood like that. Well that's good and all, but there are many neighborhoods with a diverse mix of housing that manage not to seperate themselves from their neighbors. Our neighborhood has over 1000 houses in it ranging in value from 200K to 1MM that were built in different phases over the course of four decades, yet we all live in the same neighborhood. The people in the most expensive homes don't call themselves something else to distance themselves from the other people. It's just pretentious.
well thats at the discretion of people.

May be realtors, sales person and residents may be using that term to signify that a new phase is being built in olympic heights. As olympic heights to some would seem as something which is already built with no new construction.

Once the new section is full, they might start using Olympic Heights in general. I don't know. It's all subjective.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
It's all starting to make sense now.
get over it.. if you don't like using WEST term.. don't use it..

realtors, residents, salespersons, county officials are not foolish to use it.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
get over it.. if you don't like using WEST term.. don't use it..

realtors, residents, salespersons, county officials are not foolish to use it.
That's cool, call it what you want. If it were up to me though, I would have named it "The Estates at Olympics Heights Ranch", and added 5K to the sales price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: