Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM

102 posts, read 301,930 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a butcher shop that they recommend for buying brisket? I don't need much, maybe 4 - 8lbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I think there's one near the deli

That was a joke, by the way. Austin doesn't really have any dedicated butchers (or delis). There may be one obscure one somewhere, but generally, we don't have them. Which is a shame. Up in my hometown of Philly, I could stop on my walk (yes, you can do that there) home and pick up some meat from the butcher for dinner (some were even so specialized that they only did pork or beef), then the bakery for bread, and the outdoor market for veggies to make dinner. Not happening here.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 PM

117 posts, read 347,445 times
The Meat House (Westlake) has some decent fare ... not sure about brisket, though. I like their marinated tenderloin steak tips and have gotten some pretty nice filet mignons there. They do have some unconventional offerings from their freezer ... ostrich, buffalo, kangaroo, alligator, various other creatures. Some interesting wines, good fresh produce, breads, desserts, etc. Kind of half gourmet market, half butcher.

Nothing like MY hometown (NYC) either ... but I sure wish there was something like a Di Bruno's (Philly) around here.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
Does anyone have a butcher shop that they recommend for buying brisket? I don't need much, maybe 4 - 8lbs?
I buy my briskets at HEB. They sell them untrimmed or trimmed depending on your preference. I'm not a huge fan of HEB's beef in general, but briskets need to be cooked long and slow anyway so they always turn out good.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Johnny G's Butcher Block.

That's small for brisket...probably just the flat. If you are planning on smoking, you'll want the whole untrimmed brisket that usually 12-14 lbs. If you're cooking it in an oven or some other voodoo, then it'll be fine.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobetexan View Post
The Meat House (Westlake) has some decent fare ... not sure about brisket, though. I like their marinated tenderloin steak tips and have gotten some pretty nice filet mignons there. They do have some unconventional offerings from their freezer ... ostrich, buffalo, kangaroo, alligator, various other creatures. Some interesting wines, good fresh produce, breads, desserts, etc. Kind of half gourmet market, half butcher.

Nothing like MY hometown (NYC) either ... but I sure wish there was something like a Di Bruno's (Philly) around here.
The Meat House is pretty cool. I have some of that kangaroo in my freezer now and might make it for dinner tonight.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Johnny G's Butcher Block.

That's small for brisket...probably just the flat. If you are planning on smoking, you'll want the whole untrimmed brisket that usually 12-14 lbs. If you're cooking it in an oven or some other voodoo, then it'll be fine.
I am using a vertical smoker and I am having a hard time getting it to come out as tender as I want. I'm smoking it for about 1.5 hours per pound at 225 degrees, but it still doesn't come out the way I want it. I'm wondering if the cut of meat is too small and I'm not smoking it long enough...A 12 pound brisket would be smoked for about 15 - 18 hours....

Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Meyer's smokehouse in Elgin or Kruez in Lockhart.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
I am using a vertical smoker and I am having a hard time getting it to come out as tender as I want. I'm smoking it for about 1.5 hours per pound at 225 degrees, but it still doesn't come out the way I want it. I'm wondering if the cut of meat is too small and I'm not smoking it long enough...A 12 pound brisket would be smoked for about 15 - 18 hours....
I've done probably 200 briskets. Since I finalized my method, they always turn out perfect...

Use a packer cut (full brisket). You want the most flexible one you can find and you want it between 12-14 pounds. The smaller ones tend to have too skinny of a flat so that it always ends up dry.

One day before, slather with a light coating of plain yellow mustard, coat in your preferred rub, inject the brisket with beef stock. Wrap in saran wrap and marinate for 24 hours. It will not have any hint of mustard flavoring but it will help form a nice black crust with the rub. The vinegar may help tenderize it a bit.

Put on a smoker @ 230. Fat side up or down doesn't really matter. I've done both and don't pay attention either way now.

When the brisket is @ 180 degrees wrap in foil and put 1/2 a beer in the foil. Drink the other half. Put back on until it's 190 degrees internal. Check for tenderness. If you can slide your meat thermometer in like it's butter, pull it. If not, let it go and check very 3 degrees. Shouldn't have to go past 200.

Leave the brisket in the foil. Wrap it in some old towels and put it in an ice chest for 2 hours.

Pull it out, slice, and serve.

Since I now value sleep more than I used to, I now use a Big Green Egg with the BBQ Guru that maintains the temp perfectly for me. I never even go outside to check it after I put it on until it hits the temps I want.

This method has about a 99% success rate.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I've done probably 200 briskets. Since I finalized my method, they always turn out perfect...

Use a packer cut (full brisket). You want the most flexible one you can find and you want it between 12-14 pounds. The smaller ones tend to have too skinny of a flat so that it always ends up dry.

One day before, slather with a light coating of plain yellow mustard, coat in your preferred rub, inject the brisket with beef stock. Wrap in saran wrap and marinate for 24 hours. It will not have any hint of mustard flavoring but it will help form a nice black crust with the rub. The vinegar may help tenderize it a bit.

Put on a smoker @ 230. Fat side up or down doesn't really matter. I've done both and don't pay attention either way now.

When the brisket is @ 180 degrees wrap in foil and put 1/2 a beer in the foil. Drink the other half. Put back on until it's 190 degrees internal. Check for tenderness. If you can slide your meat thermometer in like it's butter, pull it. If not, let it go and check very 3 degrees. Shouldn't have to go past 200.

Leave the brisket in the foil. Wrap it in some old towels and put it in an ice chest for 2 hours.

Pull it out, slice, and serve.

Since I now value sleep more than I used to, I now use a Big Green Egg with the BBQ Guru that maintains the temp perfectly for me. I never even go outside to check it after I put it on until it hits the temps I want.

This method has about a 99% success rate.
Good advice, I will have to give this a whirl. Any idea about how long it usually takes you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin