Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM

19 posts, read 35,683 times

Advertisements

For this price, can I still stay in the Central or South part of town, or is it necessary to be further out?
I have an elementary-aged kid- so good schools are necessary and I am hoping for a slightly funky, but still safe, vibe.
I have been looking at Zilker and Gullett as possible schools. (I have heard the ease of tranferring varies but it is possible, and I am hoping a magnet would work well for us in middle school/jr high but we are only dealing with 3rd grade at the moment )
Scnning the boards, some folks seem to like Rosedale, Allendale and Clarksville, but I don't know what school serves them or if they would be too pricey. Help is greatly appreciated! I would prefer easy access to 290 or 71 as I would be heading east often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 AM

77 posts, read 219,790 times
You didn't say what you were looking for (house/apt), but I doubt you would be able to find a decent house for $1000/mo. in Clarksville. The ones I've seen have been over $1500/mo. An apartment should be doable for that kind of money. Mathews Elementary on West Lynn is the closest to Clarksville, but I don't know anything about its reputation. Doing a search here yields some information. The neighborhood is very safe, liberal, not terribly funky but not conformist either.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM

I didn't notice I neglected to put down house or apt...thanks!
Actually I would prefer a house (tiny bungalow?) but didn't think it was possible with my budget. I am thinking more along the lines of a duplex with a small shared yard... or an apartment, as long as it is large enough (1000 sq ft, maybe? I am not great at estimating footage) and will take my cat. I am very flexible and my focus is on a neighborhood I like with just a few funky/cool/interesting/non-chain-store-type shops nearby so it doesn't "feel" suburban. I do like my quiet, treed streets though. I guess I just want it all-- not too much to ask for, huh?
Am also hearing Barton Hills, Boudin creek, Zilker? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed--which is a good thing because it means I havve some good options. Seems to be Central-ish neighborhoods, am I right?
Thanks for the suggestion of Mathews-- I checked it out on greatschools and it seems to be about what I am looking for. I am also looking at Lee, Gullett, Bry____ (?)Forest. My kid is GT, but he is not a high-acheiving type, more of a creative thinker, and a bit of an oddball (like his mom). A good school fit for him is my primary concern.
Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
The neighborhood is very safe, liberal, not terribly funky but not conformist either.
That sounds about right! Throw in some Unitarians and we have a deal

Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM

844 posts, read 2,025,652 times
If schools are the priority, I'd check out the apartment complexes on Barton Skyway/Spyglass off Mopac. I swear you all will think I work there but I don't, it just has a lot of the stuff people are looking for and many don't know about it. The rents are reasonable and they are part of the Eanes school system, one of the best in the city I think.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM

Thx! More suggestions?
I like the ability to tranfer around a bit more if I use AISD to find a better fit, but I see that Eanes is top notch all around! Do most neighborboods towards the city feel like a suburb-in-a-city (i.e. grocery and coffeshops and cafes nearby in a clump but a housing area primarily, with the skyline in the near distance?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 AM

44 posts, read 82,135 times
You could find an apartment in Clarksville for that amount and Mathews is a great school. I went there many years ago and it has never lost its charm! I agree that it would be hard to find a $1000 house in Clarksville.

Also, there are duplexes that are around Westlake off of Bee Caves that sometimes pop up. Just found one for a client last week because they wanted their kids in the Eanes school district. It was in the 850-900 range.

If you lived in Crestview, the elementary school would probably be Brentwood, which is a great neighborhood school. It's just a great neighborhood in general... old Austin neighborhood with a little deli, Minimax and the people are wonderful. I currently live in Crestview and just love it!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 PM

I am glad to hear Clarksville is possible in that price range because it sounds awesome! I think what I would like best would be a townhome with stairs.
I used to live in Boulder. Is there a similar vibe (i.e. Liberal-leaning college community for outdoorsy people)? I think Austin might even be far more tolerant of everyone's opinion. No real city in Boulder though-- and I really like being able to feel like I am in a metropolitan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: