Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,429 times

Advertisements

This may seem like a ridiculous question, but does it ever get foggy in Austin? I know it is hotter than blazes most of the year, but I love when the fog rolls in where I live. Also, is there much opportunity to bundle up during the winter or is it pretty mild? I'm from LA so I'm used to non-changing weather, but since living in N. Cal for the last five years I've really come to love seasonal changes...Fall especially
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 05:12 PM

106 posts, read 476,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
This may seem like a ridiculous question, but does it ever get foggy in Austin? I know it is hotter than blazes most of the year, but I love when the fog rolls in where I live. Also, is there much opportunity to bundle up during the winter or is it pretty mild? I'm from LA so I'm used to non-changing weather, but since living in N. Cal for the last five years I've really come to love seasonal changes...Fall especially
Fog... For the most part, the only real fog I've seen is in the winter/spring months late, late at night or early, early in the morning, depending on your definition of 'night' or 'morning' (let's say between 3 am - 6 am).

But it burns off quickly once the sun rises.

I've seen folks bundle up in parkas & gloves and scarves the instant it gets below 60°, and others who reluctantly add a long-sleeved shirt to their shorts & t-shirt ensembles in January when it hits 30°, so yeah, likely you'll have need for a jacket, a sweatshirt or even (OMG! ) a pair of long pants often enough.

Autumn in Austin is perfect... nice warm days w/ little humidity and crisp, cool nights.

TX Griff

Old 07-27-2007, 12:10 AM

98 posts, read 485,996 times
No California style rolling fogs, and we tend towards the wet/dry seasons rather than the traditional four. Though it really doesn't get all that cold here it seems miserable because of the incessant complaining and the fact that it is normaly cold and wet at the same time. The cold also always sems to sneak up on us. 35 degree temp drops in 24 hours are a lot less rare than we think.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,817 times
Kiss the 4 seasons goodbye.
We have Summer, 1 week of Winter, and whatever those few weeks are in between.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM

385 posts, read 1,248,429 times
Default that's pretty much what I thought...

Anyone know how the weather compares to LA? At least Austin has spectacular skies and I love thunder and lightning!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,817 times
Not sure about LA weather.
But i totally agree with you on the thunder and lightning. it is really imressive here.
It took me awhile to figure out why everyone ran inside when the lightning started. Now that i have been here awhile and seen how often these things touch ground.. I get it!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
Austin's weather is more dynamic than LA's, but we don't have nearly as many "nice" days as you do in SoCal.

Fog is a pretty regular occurrence here during the Spring.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:08 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
I am also a big fan of the Bay Area fog - I miss it terribly. We live in one of the hillier parts of Austin and we often see some cool fog in the mornings. It usually burns off by 10 or so. Sometimes we can't see the canyon behind our house for the fog. It's not that cool rolling, gray creepy fog of San Francisco, but it's a good substitute.

You will find the weather here more humid than L.A. but you will get awesome storms.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:31 PM

117 posts, read 538,138 times
We had some awesome fog the other morning on 620 out here in Lakeway.
We couldn't see much in front of us and it looked like clouds were filling up all the valleys that drop down on either side of us.
Very cool.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:07 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,300 times
Everyone in this thread is crazy, justanothercalifornian. Pay them no mind.

Each evening in summer, right when you wish it would cool off, a refreshing fog comes streaming over the gorgeous mountains that separate us from the cool Gulf of Mexico. The temperature drops to a pleasant 65-75 by 6 PM, and.... uhhhh....... wait, sorry, I'm getting this confused with the inland parts of the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin