U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 PM

205 posts, read 691,856 times

Advertisements

I wanted advice on pest control service. I heard ABC and Bulwark from some friends and colleague. However they seem to be expensive $70+/2 months.

I called Nature's Own also (i guess they are quite small and family owned) and their quote was good $70/3 months. However I am not able to find any user reviews on any of these three companies.

Does any use White Knight? Which other companies are good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM

16,791 posts, read 44,931,118 times
In 33 years of living in Austin, in both apartments and houses, I have never found it necessary to have the residence treated for pest control more then once a year, and many years not even that often. If you had a really bad infestation of something, such as roaches that I saw in one really old house, then I could see doing it more often.

If you do feel the need to have the house treated more often I'd go with someone that uses Eco friendly products such as EcoPro Pest & Lawn, 825-7960.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM

171 posts, read 381,064 times
Chem-Free is the organic side of ABC, I believe. We get quarterly treatments, because we have a dog door that lets in the occasional multilegged critter.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,775,102 times
ABC is like $90 per quarter, so every 3 months. They are the best I've ever used.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 PM

535 posts, read 1,126,895 times
My advice is to adopt a bulldog from Town Lake Animal Shelter. We have always had issues with scorpions and spiders but since adopting our dog he has taken it upon himself to eat every moving insect in his path and goes in search of them when prompted. Gotta love my dog. :-)

Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 AM

481 posts, read 2,247,877 times
I guess it really depends on where you live - like adjacent to a greenbelt. I have lived here 4 years and have never used a pest control service or sprayed anything on my own. I maybe see 1 or 2 silverfish and/or spiders in a year. I did put a 1'-2' border of river rock around my house, next to the foundation, to keep termites away and I think that has been helping with other critters.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,703,353 times
We do our own - we went to J&J Pest Control (http://www.jjpest.com/) (broken link) on Burnet Road and they were VERY helpful in assisting us with what we need, and they did not pressure us to pay them to do it. Considering we are on the verge of a wooded area, in a still-developing neighborhood on the outskirts of Cedar Park, it has worked very well. We probably aren't as diligent about spraying regularly as we should be, but for the drastically reduced cost, I'm not complaining! We also stuffed all the weepholes with some sort of metal mesh to help keep the s-bugs (we don't say that word!) out.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 AM

554 posts, read 1,620,036 times
I grab a jug of Ortho Home Defense MAX pull and spray from Walmart and it lasts almost 2 years for roughly $12. I spray inside maybe once a year and outside around the foundation, windows, doors, steps, and in the garage seasonally. It also works great on wasp nests. Pick up some disposable rubber gloves and wear safety glasses and long sleeves when you spray.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,432 times
I am considering A-Tex Pest Management Inc. Do any of you have recommendations for them? Its about $92 with tax for quarterly service. I live in South Austin with green belt behind us.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 13,655 times
You should call TruTech Inc. My girlfriend works for them. All of their employees hold college degrees in a related field. Ex: my girlfriend has a B.S. in Wildlife Ecology and Captive Management. PM me for her direct line.

They aren't 'cheap', but the price is reasonable for the level of service she gives people. Her prices come with guarantees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin