U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM

19 posts, read 32,454 times

Advertisements

I was asking this on my other thread and it accured to me that it might be worthy of its own thread:

I used to live in Boulder. Is there a similar vibe (i.e. Liberal-leaning college community for outdoorsy people)? I think Austin might even be far more tolerant of everyone's opinion. No real city in Boulder though-- and I really like being able to feel like I am in a metropolitan area.

I also see much more patriotism, concern about border issues, concern about taxes, hunting and gun use in Austin, *Texas* and I think the Texas part is influential, whereas the *Colorado* part of Boulder *Colorado* seemed to not matter as much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 PM

54 posts, read 139,635 times
Nothing like Berserkeley.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 PM

77 posts, read 199,733 times
I don't know anything about Boulder, but Austin is one of the more tolerant cities I've lived in. We have the classic example of "Leslie", a homeless man living in the downtown area who wears womens' clothing (bikinis) in a tight-fitting manner. He ran for mayor of Austin (lost), and generally brings smiles whenever somebody mentions his name, although I've heard a few people have remarked on his alleged drunkeness and violent outbursts. Then there's the (recent?) arrival of "thong-man", who rides around the downtown area on a bike wearing an extremely skimpy thong which reveals his butt cheeks. I saw him during SWSW, and when people see or talk about him, it's generally grins and laughter. A few people complain mildly about thong-man (how do I explain this man to my children?) but I think he's been accepted as part of Austin. If I lived anywhere else, these two examples of Austin (culture?) would have been driven out of town or arrested and jailed.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 PM

845 posts, read 1,831,717 times
Uh, are you sure "thong man" isn't Leslie?

http://www.keepaustinweird.com/images/leslie.jpg

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,559,648 times
We're moving from the Boulder-area to Austin within the next two months so while I don't really know Austin yet, I do know Boulder. Pretty damned tolerant, yes; although I'm originally from the Bay Area and SF so my expectations surrounding tolerance may be different than others'. I will be looking forward to more of a city feeling wrapped up with the 'Liberal-leaning college community for outdoorsy people' vibe you mention. Truthfully though, Boulder offers a great mix of everything I value... if I could afford it, I'd live and die in an old mansion on Mapleton Ave. but we haven't won the lottery yet. That said, everything outside of Boulder and the mountains, which are beautiful, isn't all that unique, thus, we're enthusiastic about moving to a 'big Boulder' -- as many, many people have referred to Austin -- and enjoy more of that same tone but a bigger city.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM

8,944 posts, read 17,742,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Uh, are you sure "thong man" isn't Leslie?

http://www.keepaustinweird.com/images/leslie.jpg
Nope, they are different people. Thong man is a guy who rides his bike in nothing but a thong. Leslie is a cross-dresser who will sometimes wear thongs.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 PM

9,221 posts, read 14,766,110 times
I guess around the core Austin is tolerant. Quickly outside of it, it turns into Southern Christian Conservative Land. Not sure how a guy wearing bikinis around a city makes it tolerant though.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,013 times
Apparently Leslie is 'on the lam' right now. I saw his face on the front page of that wanted circular that they put in convenience stores tonight. Don't know what he's wanted for, just that he's wanted.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 AM

152 posts, read 254,015 times
I grew up in Marin, have spent a good amount of time in Boulder, and live in Austin. All three areas have a similar liberal vibe but as Scarface points out Texas is a RED state! Between the cost of living, great weather, and friendly, socially aware people, I don't think you can beat Austin, come on out!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 AM

10,603 posts, read 10,185,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodg53 View Post
Apparently Leslie is 'on the lam' right now. I saw his face on the front page of that wanted circular that they put in convenience stores tonight. Don't know what he's wanted for, just that he's wanted.
Probably the thong manufacturers are suing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin