Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 AM

9 posts, read 35,018 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm in a bit of a pickle and I would love to hear y'alls advice-whether its common sense or just from experience.

I am a junior/senior Child and Family Studies major at LSU and I will be graduating this December!

I have been going mad researching various graduate schools and trying to decide what it is I really want to do after undergrad graduation.

I don't necessarily want to teach (right after graduate school) but I am interested in Curriculum & Instruction and Educational Leadership (professions outside of the class room, but involving education).

I had all my hopes on going to graduate school in Texas until i realized 2 things.

1. Many of the programs I am interested in are online.
2. The programs that are campus based offer night classes bc most graduate students are professionals.

The realization of these 2 facts led to one conclusion. I'm gonna have to be working a professional job if I go to graduate school.

For whatever reason, I thought that I'd be taking classes during working hours like I do now in order to get a job later...Nope. That doesn't seem to be the case.

This wouldn't be a problem for me if I were to stay in Louisiana b/c I already have a job secured with my internship.

But if I go to Texas, I'm just gonna be arriving jobless just to go to school.

Should I be looking for jobs as I am researching grad schools too? I plan to start graduate school in January of 2012. I feel like it's still really early to be looking for a job if I don't even know what graduate schools I will be applying to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:29 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Stay in Louisiana and pursue the job you have available via your internship. Most Curriculum and Instruction programs are only interested in candidates who have spent years in the classroom. And guess what? thousands of experienced teachers just got laid off in central texas, some proportion of them will go back to grad school. A fresh grad is unlikely even to get a slot!

Put off graduate school for five years, maybe even forever! There is so much you can do without a graduate degree, just be willing to start at the beginning, work hard, and network.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,366 times
Or stay in LA and do one of those online programs.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthom67 View Post
Should I be looking for jobs as I am researching grad schools too? I plan to start graduate school in January of 2012. I feel like it's still really early to be looking for a job if I don't even know what graduate schools I will be applying to.
I would be looking for faculty researchers at the grad schools you're researching with research interests that are in line with your interests. If you can latch on to a good faculty researcher with grant money, you might be able to secure a research assistant position and draw a salary and/or have your tuition covered while you're in grad school. Make sure that your CV has things like your GPA, any honors programs, information about your internship, undergrad research programs, community service, etc.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Stay in Louisiana. It makes no sense to come to Texas. You should keep your internship while you get your graduate degree in LA.

One thing you need to realize about education and any work relating to it, is that you will never get hired to do any sort of administrator or curriculum position unless you have significant experience teaching in a classroom. Period. Curriculum and Instruction or Educational Leadership is the sort of position that (BTW, would be the first cut in layoffs) would be filled by a former teacher with years of experience in the classroom. That sort of person is supposed to determine the curriculum for entire schools, entire districts... why on earth would they consider someone who never had her own classroom? You would need to not only have experience running your own classroom (i.e. teach for at least 5 years) but also be exceptionally good at it.

Teachers will never take curriculum instruction from someone who has no idea how to teach and no experience doing it. That's like a JV high school football player thinking he's going to be asked to coach the pros. Not qualified in the least. The district knows this and would never hire someone like that.

So, if you don't want to teach at all? Consider another field entirely for graduate school.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 35,018 times
Thanks for all your responses.

There are four programs that I am considering that will all allow me to get a teaching certificate. Teaching is definitely my security blanket.

But I will be going to Texas. If I don't go for graduate school, I will end up staying in Louisiana for the rest of my life. And that I do not want. lol!

As far as me freaking out about finding a job...I forgot that I have 5 years of (professional) experience working as a Teacher Assistant in day care and preschool preschool setting. I will be bound to find a job even if it will be changing diapers until I graduate!

Thanks so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin