Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times

Advertisements

cBach, you should really be a little more respectful of members that have been on here a lot longer than you. You're still a newbie. And who knows, you may actually learn something about other areas of our great state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie85 View Post
*Meant to type New OrleanIAN. Long day.

I will be coming to visit in July to look at apartments, but I'm having trouble trying to decide how to narrow my search.

I've never been to Austin but I'm originally from Houston and have family there that I'd like to be closer to. However, Houston is not an option (too boring.) I love New Orleans but its a very much a city in a bubble. The local culture is great but sometimes I wanna hear something besides jazz music. Bands don't come here, films don't come here, etc.

For anyone familiar with NOLA, I'm looking for a neighborhood like our Uptown/Garden District. Something not as crazy as being in the middle of downtown but with a good local feel. Here I'm able to walk to the park, walk to the pharmacy, walk to Whole Foods, walk to the movie theater, and then there's a central street with lots of local restaurants, bars, coffeeshops, and stores. I'm 25F so I want lots to do, but maybe not surrounded entirely by college-goers.
I think you're really going to need to come visit different areas to get the feel for them.

My concern is that if you found Houston "boring", I really hope you don't move here and then be disappointed. With the exception of only a few categories, Houston has a lot more to do than Austin. Please, just come visit and don't come with unrealistic expections based off something you heard or some puff-piece article you read.

One of the most walkable areas of town is the area you will also be surrounded by "college-goers" which you said you don't want. I don't know how to break this to you, but Austin is a huge college town and to get what you want, I'm just not sure it can all happen. You may need to relax some on the requirements.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
cBach, you should really be a little more respectful of members that have been on here a lot longer than you. You're still a newbie. And who knows, you may actually learn something about other areas of our great state.

You're not much more "senior" than I am by the way... 600 versus 700 no big difference.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 PM

33 posts, read 62,059 times
cBach, I'd like to thank you for all the helpful posts you've provided. The NOLA-to-Austin comparison is still very awesome. I'd like to request that everyone just calm down. I really do appreciate all the opinions.

Obviously, I know I can't have everything I want. I had hoped that by providing some idea of what my ideal would be, someone might provide some recommendations on what areas offer what. As much as I love NOLA's walkability and historic feel, I'm not ready to resign myself to many more years of 6+ hour drives to see my family. I love Mardi Gras but I'd really love it if my favorite bands and movies actually came to the town I was in. So on and so forth. NOLA great but I wanna see what else is outside of this bubble.

Having spent fourteen years living in Texas, I was well aware of Austin's "weird" personality. Now its an area known for embracing technology and blue-state politics, both are things that I love. I really miss parts of my Texas childhood. The big joke with my friends is that I am always able to pick a fellow Texan out of the crowd and ever since I left, all of my closest friends have been former Texans stranded in Louisiana. I'm really excited to go back to Texas. I miss BBQ and Lone Star state pride. I figured my best shot was in Austin.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the advertising is all a big lie. But I don't want to regret not trying the city out.

As for attitudes, I think I can handle anything Austin can dish out after dealing with New Orleans locals. I love 'em but they have their own noses in the air. Heck, I find myself doing it as well when confronted by a tourist at Mardi Gras. Eventually, local pride can turn into something way nastier especially when old families and old ethnic wars are involved (the NOLA Italians and Irish are a special breed.)

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie85 View Post
I love Mardi Gras but I'd really love it if my favorite bands and movies actually came to the town I was in.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the advertising is all a big lie. But I don't want to regret not trying the city out.
The advertising isn't really a big lie, but it would be misleading to tell newcomers that they can find an ultra safe neighborhood with great walkability at a *very* affordable price. Your wants in Austin overlap with a lot of people that are ready to spend well over $1000 per month on rent. Again, I'm very happy living in the Austin suburbs, but you still might have to drive to Houston or Dallas to see your favorite bands. For example, we had to drive to Houston to see Radiohead and my wife went to Dallas to see Dave Matthews. There isn't really a venue in Austin that fits the type of band that needs a large ampitheater. However, a good amount of bands do stop in Austin, but the larger acts that don't want to play in a weak venue like the Erwin Center sometimes just skip Austin.

With that said, I would look to live in 78704, Rosedale or surrounding areas, or Hyde Park. Those are all safe and walkable areas. You might have to get lucky to find something in your price range, but maybe you could find a smaller place in one of the older complexes. Downtown would be great of course, but it is definitely expensive. You'll have to visit the East side yourself to see what you think. If you're staying very Central, but East of I35, I'd probably want to stay between Manor and 51st Street, and somewhat close to I35. Those areas are basically gentrified now, but if you go a little further East, you'll see some rougher areas.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You're not much more "senior" than I am by the way... 600 versus 700 no big difference.
Huh?

I was referring to the poster you were so rudely talking down to who has 4+ YEARS of membership and experience on here as opposed to your barely 4 MONTHS.

And as far as the snide comment left on my rep, I don't think I'm the one who has something to "get over".

None of this behavior helps anyone here.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Huh?

And as far as the snide comment left on my rep, I don't think I'm the one who has something to "get over".
I didn't leave any comment on your rep so there maybe other person(s) that have issues with you.

I was not disrespecting anyone, I was RESPECTING the OP's wishes. She expressedly told us what she was interested and several Houstonians did not listen to her.

To be frank I was saving y'all the trouble of having to type a lot of stuff that would be ignored. This has nothing to do with reps or anything like that.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I didn't leave any comment on your rep so there maybe other person(s) that have issues with you.
Sure....

Quote:
I was not disrespecting anyone, I was RESPECTING the OP's wishes. She expressedly told us what she was interested and several Houstonians did not listen to her.
The language was disprespectful.

Go back and read the whole thread again if you don't believe me.

It started out with something of a fallacy / misconception of Houston, which was "corrected" by others giving their experience and insight. And they were NOT all Houstonians. They were just trying to help OP. You apparently didn't like the topic, and started jumping on people for no apparent reason. And not even jumping on the right people! I suggest you read the thread again.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Sure....

The language was disprespectful.
That's your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin