Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emileNOLA View Post
Beware Texans and the left hand turn, something about people here has them making left hand turns across two sometimes three lanes of traffic - always amazes me
I must be missing something. If the street is multiple lanes in each direction and you have to turn left, don't you have to turn left across said lanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 05:43 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,366 times
I am one of those left hand turners and it is because I am visiting from out of town and don't know my way around that well yet but have had good luck not causing any accidents thus far... sorry in advance, I will try to be more careful in the future. Funny, I was discussing w/a local how friendly the drivers are in Austin compared to SA... they never seem to get mad, honk, curse or give the bird which is rather amazing and nice. I think being polite or tolerant must be contagious.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Despite what you will hear about folks not registering their cars for years after they moved from NM, CA, AZ...you DO NOT want to go 31 days without registering you and your vehicle, lest you get stopped by the PO-lice.

Summer starts in March and goes through October(this March being the mildest/coolest we've experienced in three years).

Yes, the traffic CAN BE horrible, depending on where you are in the area. Folks routinely stop and doze off on MoPac and 183 from time to time. Traveling south on MoPac apparently makes folks very sleepy.

When parking your vehicle from now until the end of summer(around Halloween), figure out where the shade will protect your vehicle, especially later in the day.

Those spots you can't wipe off your windshield are called 'rust'...that's rain and dust combined. Throw in the pollen this time of the year and you can just give up, give the carwash lots of money or keep your vehicle indoors. IF we get rain this month, it might be better, but don't count on it.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 PM

185 posts, read 350,051 times
For some reason, drivers on Mopac seem to be less stupid than those on US 183. On the former, I've noticed that traffic is evenly distributed each way on the 3 lanes and traffic flows well even when it gets heavy. On 183, drivers use it like a 4 lane highway, as most of the traffic hangs over in the middle or right lane, and the traffic flows pretty bad whenever there's any traffic.

You know what's hilariously stupid? Watching a driver get into the 4th right lane on US 183 (either south before McNeil or north going over Braker) right as the right lane ends. Or they stay in the right lane until AFTER it ends.

Also, you pretty much have to give a reason to decide to drive on I-35.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
For some reason, drivers on Mopac seem to be less stupid than those on US 183. On the former, I've noticed that traffic is evenly distributed each way on the 3 lanes and traffic flows well even when it gets heavy. On 183, drivers use it like a 4 lane highway, as most of the traffic hangs over in the middle or right lane, and the traffic flows pretty bad whenever there's any traffic.

You know what's hilariously stupid? Watching a driver get into the 4th right lane on US 183 (either south before McNeil or north going over Braker) right as the right lane ends. Or they stay in the right lane until AFTER it ends.

Also, you pretty much have to give a reason to decide to drive on I-35.
I'd say the worst is a toss up between 35 and 183 south of 35. I don't have any problem with 183 north of 35.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
I-35 between Round Rock & Buda should be nuked

Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 AM

58 posts, read 135,412 times
There are very few gas stations open 24/7. Grocery stores aren't open 24 hours (unless you count Walmart).

Traffic lights here take a looong time to cycle and they aren't sensored - so if you are out early, you will have to wait until the light fully cycles before you can go. You may be the only car at the intersection for several minutes before you can go. That being said, most lights are in sync so you can adjust your speed to make it through all of them. The trick is learning what that speed is and to be first in line so you won't follow someone who doesn't understand this concept.

The town itself doesn't wake up early, which is great for me. I'm usually in and out of the grocery store before most people wake up.

Here, the farmer's markets open at 9. Back home, I was used to leaving at 6:30am to go to the farmer's market.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
That Austin is a very cool city, and the Texans - and people from other states - I knew while living there were some of the nicest people I have ever met. There is something about Austin that is just great.

To make it an absolutely perfect place I would just love it if the weather were a bit colder... but I love the place regardless.

I wish someone had told me how awesome it is.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Learn to love 100+ degree days.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 AM

185 posts, read 350,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Learn to love 100+ degree days.
Learn where the good swimming pools are. There's a reason why watering holes are an icon of southern culture, and why Barton Springs has been popular back before white settlers founded Waterloo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin