U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 PM

845 posts, read 1,778,093 times

Advertisements

When will it be OVER??? My allergies have been going nuts for weeks. Yes, I know it's Spring. But I don't remember it being this bad for this long. Is it due to lack of rain? Ugh, another reason to do a rain dance I guess!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 PM

565 posts, read 1,067,353 times
Luckily I ONLY have to deal with cedar....Oak usually peaks around the first of April and is higher on dry, windy days....something we have seen a lot of lately.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 16,043,835 times
I normally don't get Oak allergies, but I have them this year. Cedar was especially hard on my earlier this year when I finally had to go get a cortizone shot. My older daughter has been suffering with symptoms also, and normally she doesn't. Wife and other daughter are fine though.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:33 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,769,318 times
Ever since seeing an allergist in February, my symptoms are gone. Oak is really high but I think the rain today may finally put an end to the pollen. Remember to keep your car washed as everytime you open the car door, etc... you are touching the pollen accumulated. Also make sure any outdoor tables are cleaned with antibacterial kitchen cleaner daily and your deck(s) if you have them are hosed off daily. It will be over soon.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 AM

8,030 posts, read 8,028,265 times
Sorry, Austin is one of the WORST places for allergies in the country.

You might consider going and spending some money at the allergist's.... could help some.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM

845 posts, read 1,778,093 times
Quote:
Remember to keep your car washed as everytime you open the car door, etc... you are touching the pollen accumulated. Also make sure any outdoor tables are cleaned with antibacterial kitchen cleaner daily and your deck(s) if you have them are hosed off daily
Great advice! The yellow pollen is everywhere but I was just living with it until it rained or it was done. I will try to keep this stuff hosed off to minimize my symptoms.

What does the allergist do? I always thought they just diagnosed allergies - I know what I'm allergic to so that didn't seem helpful. Do they perscribe drugs? What other treatments? Netti pots scare the crap out of me.

Last edited by kiacook; 04-04-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM

7,234 posts, read 13,834,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Great advice! The yellow pollen is everywhere but I was just living with it until rain or it was done. I will try to keep this stuff hosed off to minimize my symptoms.

What does the allergist do? I always thought they just diagnosed allergies - I know what I'm allergice to so that didn't seem helpful. Do they perscribe drugs? What other treatments? Netti pots scare the crap out of me.
Once they know what you are allergic to an allergist can then develop shots (or oral drops) that you take regularly to de-sensitize you to the substances that you are allergic to! Over time, your body stops reacting and you can get a significant reduction in symptoms. Shots really helped my husband but then he began traveling so much he couldn't keep up with it. Now, he is taking allergy drops each day, unlike shots you can self-administer the drops so he can take them with him when he travels. It makes a big difference in quality of life.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,769,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Great advice! The yellow pollen is everywhere but I was just living with it until it rained or it was done. I will try to keep this stuff hosed off to minimize my symptoms.

What does the allergist do? I always thought they just diagnosed allergies - I know what I'm allergic to so that didn't seem helpful. Do they perscribe drugs? What other treatments? Netti pots scare the crap out of me.

A simple thing is to irrigate your nose with a saline solution. About 2 cups of warm water, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Mix it up and put into each of your nostrils with a syringe. That will clean any pollen dust that was accumulating and reduce swelling.

There is some good news coming though. Due to the drought, the grass pollens look to be low this year and once the oak stops, it looks like the summer will be relatively hot and dry, which will kill off the remaining grass pollens and won't allow ragweed to grow.

This means the summer and fall should be better, allergy wise.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:34 PM

16,780 posts, read 43,338,232 times
I agree, the lack of rain is making it worse, the pollen just keeps blowing around. I remember it was pretty bad last year also, I even had my allergist retest me for tree pollen. He did not find any positive indicators.

But even though I'm not allergic to oak pollen, its hard to not be affected by it when it is this thick. Its like breathing in lots of dust, it irritates.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM

16,780 posts, read 43,338,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
A simple thing is to irrigate your nose with a saline solution. About 2 cups of warm water, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Mix it up and put into each of your nostrils with a syringe. That will clean any pollen dust that was accumulating and reduce swelling.
I too recommend a BUFFERED HYPERTONIC (3%) SALINE NASAL IRRIGATION. But that mix above is a pretty strong solution. I'd recommend instead that people use this solution recommended by my allergy Dr. http://www.centraltexasallergy.com/hyptncsolold.pdf

Quote:
Choose a one-quart covered glass jar that is thoroughly cleansed.
Fill with tap water. You do not need to boil water. You may use bottled water.
Add 2-3 heaping teaspoons (yields 2-3% solution) of pickling/canning salt, or sea salt, NOT
table salt, as it contains a large number of additives.
Add 1 teaspoon Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (pure bicarbonate).
Mix ingredients together and store at room temperature. Discard after one week. If you
find this solution too strong, you may decrease the amount of salt added to 1-1 ½
teaspoons. With children it is often best to start with a milder solution and advance slowly.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-04-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin