Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,004,297 times

Advertisements

we have ways of coping with the heat - margaritas, scant clothing, and of course - the year-round bone-chilling spring-fed glory of Barton Springs:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,261,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digndeeds View Post
Hi! I work for a company that's relocating from SF to Austin. They really want me to come and are offering incentives. The thing is, I'm really happy in San Francisco. I'm going to ask some pretty specific questions, hoping someone here has answers.

San Francisco is a great city. Before you move to Austin, you need to understand how much of a culture shock it will be to live in Texas. And YES, contrary to what you hear, AUSTIN IS THE CAPITOL of Texas and deep in da heart a Texas.

By the way, basic stats: early 20s, gay, never been to Texas.

I personally would move to central Dallas over Austin if I was gay, but if Austin is the place, then you would do well to stay as close to downtown as you can. Austin does have a small gay community mainly centered around downtown and UT.

I know cost of living in Austin is lower, but right now I don't own a car. Is it possible to live in Austin without a car? If not, this is (obviously) a significant new expense for me.

Yes, the cost of AUstin is lower than San Francisco, but among the highest in the state of Texas. As long as you have a good paying job and can live near downtown, you will probably be ok.

I've been told downtown is very walkable. Is it also significantly more expensive? In other words, if I live downtown to avoid owning a car, will the cost-of-living savings evaporate?

Downtown is walkable, correct. But there is very little to do in downtown Austin. 6th street and town lake are about your only options. There is a cute "little" area called 2nd street district (very much like a wannabe Legacy in North Plano) that sells high end stuff. Although last time I checked, several of the stores on 2nd street are in danger of closing due to lack of business.

I've been scouting online for apartments and houses, just to see what typical rents are. I'm probably looking for a studio or 1-bedroom. Unfortunately, I have no idea where anything is, so it's hard to know what neighborhoods would be good for me.

Any neighborhood within 1-2 miles of downtown is a decent one.

I also don't know where our new office would be, and if I could get there easily from downtown or if I would need to drive. I know my boss wants me to picture myself in a cool, hip downtown area, biking to the office and the farmers market. I'm not sure if that would be the reality.

Bike riding in Austin is pretty scarey. There are few bike lanes and even fewer paved trails (this isn't Denver Afterall) If those items don't bother you, 90% of the year it sucks to be outside riding. You are either riding in the torrid heat of the summer, or the constant wind of the winter and spring months.

I also don't know anyone in Austin. I hear it's cool, but the prospect of moving to a new city where I have no friends (and being long-distance with my boyfriend) is kind of scary. Any insights/ advice would be very welcome.
You hear it's "COOL"?? Compared to where? Waco, or Lufkin? Austin is among the most overrated cities I have ever had the misfortune of visiting, let alone LIVING in. Austin is a really big COLLEGE TOWN. Just like Madison, Boulder, and Columbia, MO for that matter. It claims to be everything you could want in a city, but it falls short in so many areas. The fact remains that Austin will ALWAYS be 4th place in Texas in nearly every aspect that could make it a "real" city--like the big boys (Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio)

Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,025 times
I lived for years fin Austin, I also lived in SF and NYC, and as recommended I would definitely visit first before moving.
I can tell you that Austin from as early as April starts at least 8 months of severe heat, so this is something that you really need to consider. Especially if you have no car, and if you dont get one and decide to attempt a crack at public transportation, you will be having to deal with extreme heat and sun walking around town.
I think Austin is only good for people who have decided that they have had enough of big wonderful exciting and expensive cities, and want a smaller less expensive hip city
Otherwise, if you are happy there in SF, Austin would just be going backwards instead of forward, and if you tried it and it didnt work out, it is incredibly difficult going back somewhere and getting all set up all over again.
Good luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 AM

438 posts, read 1,113,684 times
There's one thing no one has mentioned so far: earthquakes. Austin doesn't have them. Good luck to you.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,520,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Be warned that getting to any place else from downtown without a car can suck. It's a lot more like San Jose, lots of sprawl and infrastructure that favors drivers (though it's been a while since I lived out there so I don't know if things have improved with public transport since I've left).
San Jose at least has light rail and a semi-decent bus service, which are two things I can't say about Austin. The original poster will definitely want a car in Austin.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,245,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb2011 View Post
I lived for years fin Austin, I also lived in SF and NYC, and as recommended I would definitely visit first before moving.
I can tell you that Austin from as early as April starts at least 8 months of severe heat, so this is something that you really need to consider. Especially if you have no car, and if you dont get one and decide to attempt a crack at public transportation, you will be having to deal with extreme heat and sun walking around town.
I think Austin is only good for people who have decided that they have had enough of big wonderful exciting and expensive cities, and want a smaller less expensive hip city
Otherwise, if you are happy there in SF, Austin would just be going backwards instead of forward, and if you tried it and it didnt work out, it is incredibly difficult going back somewhere and getting all set up all over again.
Good luck!
I've said this before about the heat, it is what you make it. I choose to ignore it as much as possible, go for walks, bike rides, etc. I know lots of folks who don't take that approach (maybe even the majority), but there are lots of us that do. Just depends on your mindset.

As far as being happy in SF, my personal take is (and the beginning of this post reflects), you're young, this is absolutely the right time to explore other places regardless of what folks will tell you. This poster has lived in NY, SF, and now in Austin. I personally have happened to lived in those places as well, plus several others. Take advantage of your youth and the flexibility that comes with it. Decisions made now aren't as encumbered as they will be as you get older and more "established" (some folks also call it being weighed down ).

So some folks don't like the heat, some folks think that it's too hip, some folks think it's not hip enough. Who cares, come on over and give it a spin, stay for a few years. Who knows, you may never want to leave, or you'll say "been there, done that" and then you'll move on. You may never find another place like the SFBA and you may go back, great, but at least you'll have some great (though obviously not all necessarily positive) experiences under your belt.

But that's just me One of the things I greatly value in my past life was all the places I've lived and all the different folks/experiences in those places. Now that I'm older and have a family/mortgage/established job, I can really appreciate how fortunate I was to be able to do that. Personally I think it gives you great perspective. But again, that's just me.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,096,671 times
OP - I think at an individual or personal level you would be comfortable in Austin. But there are some stark differences between SF and Austin.

My brother in law has lived in SF for 20+ years with his partner. It perfectly matches him. He likes the welfare state. Wishes it was even stronger. He is a long time public employee. He thinks all inheritance should be given to the state because heirs don't deserve it. He will support Pelosi to his death.

Yet he likes Austin and went to school here. He likes cowboy boots. He visits once or twice a year and really enjoys his time here.

But you're gonna want a car. Maybe a small cheap one. We don't have a MFA. Or Union Square. But probably nothing as touristy as Fisherman's Wharf. We have great lakes and stuff to do outside, even in the heat. Great music. Great food, but different than SF. And most things are cheaper, especially housing, fuel, and taxes.

Last edited by hoffdano; 04-05-2011 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 02:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,004,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
My brother in law has lived in SF with his partner for 20+ years.
That sounds complicated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin