Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 AM

319 posts, read 737,149 times

Advertisements

We need to do this too. We are prepared to write a serious check because we are late and in violation. We bought an older classic car from California and had it shipped to Texas back in October. Just havent really driven it. Have title, and it was insured the moment we took possession, but havent done the inspection/registration process for Texas. It has been about 6 months that we have had it, largely sitting in the garage. We are prepared for serious late fees/penalties. Need to go do the same stuff. Sounds like the county tax office is the place to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
We need to do this too. We are prepared to write a serious check because we are late and in violation. We bought an older classic car from California and had it shipped to Texas back in October. Just havent really driven it. Have title, and it was insured the moment we took possession, but havent done the inspection/registration process for Texas. It has been about 6 months that we have had it, largely sitting in the garage. We are prepared for serious late fees/penalties. Need to go do the same stuff. Sounds like the county tax office is the place to do it.
Yep, the county office is your next stop(prepare for an extra trip, since you will ask them about driving to the inspection site). I'll bet you can make a case of 'vehicle was in storage, not driven, etc' and maybe get a mulligan on the late registration. Can't hurt to ask. Just make sure they know you haven't been driving it in Texas...classic car...currently isn't running...stored w-a-y back, etc and you couldn't even get to it. Especially if you DID register a daily driver when you got here, your scenario doesn't seem far-fetched. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Yep, the county office is your next stop(prepare for an extra trip, since you will ask them about driving to the inspection site). I'll bet you can make a case of 'vehicle was in storage, not driven, etc' and maybe get a mulligan on the late registration. Can't hurt to ask. Just make sure they know you haven't been driving it in Texas...classic car...currently isn't running...stored w-a-y back, etc and you couldn't even get to it. Especially if you DID register a daily driver when you got here, your scenario doesn't seem far-fetched. Good luck!

Thanks. I was planning to get it inspected BEFORE going to the county tax office. Wouldnt that be the right way to do it? Show up at the tax office with title, current insurance, and inspection in hand? Then just pull out check book and start taking it in the kisser....

Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I was planning to get it inspected BEFORE going to the county tax office. Wouldnt that be the right way to do it? Show up at the tax office with title, current insurance, and inspection in hand? Then just pull out check book and start taking it in the kisser....
Yes, typically, the inspection comes first; however, if you have time, first making contact to explain your 'de-lemon' might be better than their knowing you have driven the vehicle, at this late date, without benefit of inspection or registration. I'm still thinking you can plead the 'in storage--classic--non-daily driver' case without too much hassle(except for that extra trip). I know when we went to Williamson Co. to get things started, they were very patient and helpful with all the newbies. YMMV, depending on the office you need to use. Also, if you don't have time for the extra trip, throwing yourself on the 'mercy' of the county folks just might work. If you've got a half-day, I'd go to the office early, ask about driving to the inspection station with this vehicle that's been in storage, head over to the nearest inspection station, grab a late breakfast snack...back to the county office and Bob's your uncle!

Here's another link to explain the process...
New Residents

Old 04-10-2011, 12:05 PM

293 posts, read 730,397 times
Why would you have to come with a story for your tardiness? Just get your car inspected and take it to the tax office with the required paperwork. They're not going to care. I happen to know someone that had an expired registration from another state for a year. For all they know you could have just moved here the day before, it really doesn't matter.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
Why would you have to come with a story for your tardiness? Just get your car inspected and take it to the tax office with the required paperwork. They're not going to care. I happen to know someone that had an expired registration from another state for a year. For all they know you could have just moved here the day before, it really doesn't matter.

This is from the TDMV page I linked earlier...
"New Residents

New residents are required to do the following within 30 days of moving to Texas:

I'd still rather have a bit of an explanation, just in case.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:44 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,059 times
Quote:
The fees aren't that bad. I bought a car in November and titled it in April. I can't remember exactly what the fee was some percentage of the tax and for me was between 0 and $50 if I remember correctly for ~ $650 tax bill.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
It's not so much about coming up with a story. The story doesnt matter, the result is the same. But they ARE going to care that I took possession of a car with a certain amount of mileage and drove it (some) and had it in Texas for 6 months without proper registration, plates, etc. I know that there will be late penalties.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 PM

293 posts, read 730,397 times
Well, when my close personal friend went into the county tax office to finally register his car they didn't ask him how long he'd been driving it with an expired out of state registration. HINT:It was WAY more than 30 days. You don't have to bring in an old registration if you have your out of state title so it's not like they see that anyways. My story may be anecdotal and my friend may have just been lucky but I bet dollars to donuts you won't get charged any late fee.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
There are no late fees, if you get caught driving the car with no tags you get tickets. My "friend" did the same thing as spelrod when he moved here. Remember you are dealing with govt workers who just want to get your paperwork processed and move on to the next guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: