Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM

499 posts, read 1,305,879 times

Advertisements

I did the parent-taught course as a teen in the late nineties, I think right after the state made that option available. It seemed kind of amazing that your parents could say "good enuff", you get at least 70% or so on a written test, and voila you get a license. (Now there's a driving test, apparently)

If you have the time, patience, and a decent relationship with your kid, I'd recommend it. Saves you some $$$ too. From talking with my friends, the driving schools were pretty boring and I didn't miss anything there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
I'm confident in teaching my daughter to drive. I have taught people how to learn how to sail in the ocean and ride road bikes safely on the road. So I know I have those abilities. I also would most likely be much harder on passing off the learning requirements. I still remember my dad making me show off parallel parking in front of my house while we had a garage sale so I had a large audience.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I'm confident in teaching my daughter to drive.
Sorry, but you are exactly the kind of person I meant when i said not to teach your kids to drive.

Seriously, and it is nothing personal, you don't know what you don't know. And unless you are working from a fully developed driving school course outline, you're going to leave out some important information, things that just don't occur to you. Plus the details of the laws and regulations are half the battle. Plus what was already said about getting parent/child dynamics into the experience.

By all means, do spend road time with your kid AFTER they have passed the course, but not before.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
All my kids went to the Austin Driving School and did fine.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
If I may tell my story AGAIN, I passed my SCHOOL BUS Driver's test before I was eligible for my regular license(I was 15 when I took the test, 16 by the time school started that fall). I was trained MORE in the school bus than in a passenger car.

If anyone can believe it, the students drove the school buses 'way back when' in Columbia, South Carolina. Life was SOOOO much simpler then!

FREE ride to school and made about $2.25 each DAY in pocket money!

Of course, all that safe driving took a back seat when I got my first motorcycle and worked full time while going to college. Seemed that speed was my friend(enemy) while traveling from one to the other.

Since I had my Bus Driver's license already, I didn't take Drivers' Ed in school; but it's a shame that SOME sort of mandatory drivers training isn't in the schools today. It REALLY is a different time.

Good luck and 'thank you' to the parents who care and spend the time with their kids...and good luck to the rest of us ANY time we're on the roads!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Since I had my Bus Driver's license already, I didn't take Drivers' Ed in school; but it's a shame that SOME sort of mandatory drivers training isn't in the schools today. It REALLY is a different time.
Totally agree. I had the benefit of a high-school based Driver Training course using the old Link Trainer driving simulators. You had to pass that level before you got to drive for real in a dual control car (and stick shift!)... on a closed course. Finally, when you passed that level, you got to drive in traffic, dual control.

And the big carrot to do the course was that you could get your Drivers License 6 months earlier if you passed the course!

And the lessons stuck. I learned to drive defensively and to pay attention, so I've had only a couple of minor fender-benders, very few tickets, and I can still "grease" a manual shift up or down like a pro. And I always get the "good driver" discounts on my insurance. It was good training because it was thorough, and you built your skills and confidence gradually and safely.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-05-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,134 times
My son did Austin Driving School. I had no problems. They were friendly and accommodating when he had to miss a class. He made it up at the next session.

He made a 100 on his test which the clerk commented was unusual.

There is also a low cost option online (I think from the state) where you teach your kid. My neighbor did it and complained that his kid did not like dad as his teacher. That's why I went with ADS so my son could have his own instructor and class.

The way it works, they can take the class once they are 15. After the 3rd class (6 hours instruction) they can get their learner's permit. To get their license, they have to complete the class (32 hours) and I think 12 hours driving (6 driving, 6 observing), be 16 years old and take the DPS driving test.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:53 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,167 times
What kind of license do you get at 16? Are there any restrictions?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,134 times
Age 16 you can get full license with no restrictions, like having to have a licensed driver over 18 in the front seat (that is for leaners permit).

Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Age 16 you can get full license with no restrictions, like having to have a licensed driver over 18 in the front seat (that is for leaners permit).
I believe that is incorrect:
Quote:
Phase two restricts the driving privileges of provisional license holders, and motorcycle/moped license holders (under 17 years of age), during the twelve-month period following the issuance of the license. The following restrictions apply:

May not operate a motor vehicle with more than one passenger in the vehicle under the age of 21 who is not a family member,
May not operate a motor vehicle, or a motorcycle/moped unless in sight of the person’s parent/guardian, between midnight and 5:00 a.m. unless the operation of the vehicle is necessary for the operator to attend or participate in employment or a school-related activity or because of a medical emergency,
May not operate a motor vehicle while using a wireless communication device, except in case of an emergency.
The license restriction will state, "TRC 545.424 applies until MM/DD/YY" and will indicate the date phase two expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: