Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,308 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My move to Austin is coming up!! I am clueless as to where I should begin with.
Is there anyone who has suggestions for movers/ company from CA to Austin ?
I am planning to buy house after 3-4 months of rental stay.
Two preferred areas are cedar valley middle school and canyon vista middle school. Any help on
Finding a good apt with Indian community would be an added bonus.
Do you really have this roaches and snake issues near these area?

Would highly appreciate your inputs,
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,997,571 times
Im moving my company form Chicago to north of austin in June. Find a freight broker, My freight broker quoted me 2400 to fill up a entire semi truck (moving company) and have them take everything to austin.. As for rentals, get a rental agent , I have one that has been helping me out a lot!.. as for coming from CA, i think a lot of recent people in austin came from cali....lol some people are welcoming and others not so..

Old 02-18-2014, 07:06 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,788,603 times
Where's your job?

Any Apartment that flows into CV MS & Grisham MS will probably have Indian residents. (note - Grisham compares with CV & CR MS on virtually every data point unless your kid is in the bottom 15% academically.)

What's a "Cupertino"?

Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,221,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
What's a "Cupertino"?
A generally affluent city in Silicon Valley just west of San Jose, often most recognized as home to Apple.

OP, it may be difficult to find a rental for only 3-4 months. Rentals here move quickly and landlords (both homes, condos and apartment complexes) don't need to offer short-term rentals when they have loads of people willing to sign a one year lease. Corporate housing or extended stay hotel options might be your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014s View Post
Compared to anything you're used to in the South Bay? Yes. (I'm from the Bay Area.)

Last edited by Idlewile; 02-18-2014 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014s View Post
Hi,

My move to Austin is coming up!! I am clueless as to where I should begin with.
Is there anyone who has suggestions for movers/ company from CA to Austin ?
I am planning to buy house after 3-4 months of rental stay.
Two preferred areas are cedar valley middle school and canyon vista middle school. Any help on
Finding a good apt with Indian community would be an added bonus.

Would highly appreciate your inputs,
Thanks

We moved from Marin County 4 years ago. We rented a condo (in Lakeway) for 9 months, had a 6 month lease. There is no way we could have found anything to rent for a shorter time, other than an extended stay hotel. But now, 4 years later, I think there will be even less chance that you can find a 6 month lease. Rentals are just too much in demand, and landlords can and will ask for a year long lease. The only way to go in finding a rental is to get yourself a rental agent. Maybe you will get lucky.

As for movers, it depends on the quantity you are moving, whether you need storage, etc. We rented a 26 foot truck, had it professionally loaded by a local Bay Area company, who did a great job. If you go that way, they are called "Moving Mountain," and their phone number 4 years ago was 415-382-8826. We then drove the truck ourselves, and had it professionally unloaded by a local Austin company called Square Cow Moovers. They also did a great job. We also had them move us from our rental to the house we bought 9 months later. (That time, we let them do it completely - didn't do the truck rental thing.) I understand that not everyone wants to drive a truck, however, so there are other alternatives. We later had the last remnants of our CA house moved via a cube. (It took a long time to sell the CA house, and we left some furniture in it to sell it.) Personally, I would not recommend the cube thing unless you have someone professionally pack it. We did our very best, with friends who helped, to pad everything and tie it down to prevent damage, but it was in that cube that we had the most damage, mostly things rubbing and damaging surfaces. There have been some threads on CD about moving companies, so if you want a full service moving company, you might do a search for those threads.

There has recently been someone asking about Indian communities in Austin, so you might search for that thread.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:37 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
If you are talking about the Cedar Valley Middle School in Brushy Creek near Round Rock, I just drove by there a few minutes ago. We live in Brushy Creek about one mile from that school. It is an excellent middle school with an exemplary rating. Two of my grandchildren attended there a few years ago.

During the 19 years we have lived here, I've only seen one little tiny green "grass" snake - and that was over 10 years ago. We don't have any roaches, nor do our neighbors.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
Smile Just moved

Hi, we just moved here from southern California, Short term lease is not that easy over here. We got 7months lease my husband works Northwest Austin. Need any help send me message or no. can give you more details.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 PM

45 posts, read 132,419 times
If your company has a recommended mover, I would go with that. Go with a good mover, there will be tons and tons of scammers when it comes to movers. So express caution when it comes to cheap deals or unknown movers. We used "MayFlower" when we moved and everything came intact. And the couple of things that broke, they issued a check without even looking at the damage (since the amount was just $200-300). They were expensive but it worked out hassle free for us.

You may be able to find 6-month leases and then perhaps do month to month (if needed) till you get a house. Given that you may have experience with paying the astronomical rents in Cupertino (or owned), you will initially find the the month to month rents more affordable if it comes to that.

Don't think you need to worry about snakes etc when you stay in an apartment . And when you get ready to buy, just don't get a house with open space in the back or a greenbelt if you have such concerns.

Palmer Ln/Metric Blvd intersection area has lot of apartments with Indians but I would suggest choosing one convenient to your work and schools. It is very easy to meet folks at the temple to make friends or as neighbors once in a house/community.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,907,209 times
I used to work in Cupertino. DON'T MOVE HERE! Cupertino is far better in almost any aspect than Austin.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,308 times
Yes, but I dont have a choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin